Greatest Individual Game In Iowa History

Basically, there are 2 ways you can look at Fran’s antics: 1) he knows exactly what he’s doing “acting” as some has characterized 2) he let’s situations during the game get the best of him and truly looses it. Personally I think it’s the latter. He can’t keep his emotions under control and he goes off the deep end. I think it’s a bad look for the team and the fans. I spent yesterday at a bar in Florida watching this game. The couple sitting next to me were from Wisconsin and commented on Fran’s outbursts. It gets old. I should’ve said “oh he’s just acting.”
He’s 63 years old and been coaching for 40 years. He ain’t changin’. If you can’t handle Fran it’s probably best to check out until his tenure is over.

Would you rather have Lick or Alford? I’d rather have Fran than Mr. Tom.

Mr Tom wouldn’t do any better than Fran in today’s recruiting environment where you can’t just stock up on players from your back yard.

False.

Like I said there have been games with greater consequences, but I’ve seen that game and taken individually it pales in comparison to today. Sorry.
The first game after Chris Street down 17 with around three minutes to go and win in OT at Michigan State "pales" in comparison to this one???

Last edited:
He’s 63 years old and been coaching for 40 years. He ain’t changin’. If you can’t handle Fran it’s probably best to check out until his tenure is over.

Mr Tom wouldn’t do any better than Fran in today’s recruiting environment where you can’t just stock up on players from your back yard.
I'm fairly certain Mr. Davis would do a bit better given the same exact players. Always saw the hands up on D more the press was better they were crisper passing teams and you could see better fundamentals. And heck they would win every first round tournament game. Guarantee that NCAA record would be better with all the exact same teams. Probably would have one sweet 16 with Mr. Davis at the helm.

Hawks responding to T's is mostly coincidence and personnel mostly. Also there were mostly shooters and drivers in the game.. players took no time getting shots off from that point on. Maybe it motivated Fran but not players

If someone did to you what Fran did, it would be seen as a threat. The stare down didnt belong.entertaining as it was. Fran may miss a game now.

Hawks responding to T's is mostly coincidence and personnel mostly. Also there were mostly shooters and drivers in the game.. players took no time getting shots off from that point on. Maybe it motivated Fran but not players

If someone did to you what Fran did, it would be seen as a threat. The stare down didnt belong.entertaining as it was. Fran may miss a game now.

Hard to legitimately argue the ref felt threatened when he moved closer to Fran.

I think it's a worse look when the assistants all have to move to restrain Fran. That looks like he can't control his emotions and is intended to be more threatening...like he thinks he's Juwan Howard or something.

It almost always does something good for the team. When Fran gets a T or has a blow up, the team responds well. He’s been doing it for a decade now, almost always helps. Almost always. Not always, but almost always…. Helps, not hurts
We must live on a different planet here.....rarely does it do any good for the team.

That is an interesting quote because I can count on my hands the amount of times it has done any good for the team (where we actually win the game) when he blows up.....usually when he gets a T it seems we are down double digits....the game is not going our way....and it makes are situation that much worse.

I think KM is just sticking up for his coach, what else is he going to say?

What they did was incredible....but Fran put his team in jeopardy pulling that crap....ref letting it go saved us.

I hope the Big Ten increases fines, suspensions, and re-defines what is appropriate and what is not......from Howard to Fran (going back to Knight, etc) this crap has no place. We are suppose to be a sport of sportsmanship and stare downs, chasing after refs, getting physical....whatever some of these coaches are pulling.....just does not belong.

I love my team, love the Hawks, and I want Fran to do well, but if I was the official I would have tossed him.

I think the Big Ten should suspend Fran over that to make a point. He knew what he was doing I think to some extent....if they let it go it just moves the goal posts that much further in what coaches will try to pull.

Just like in a court room....need to ask permission to approach the witness...there should be a formal process for approaching officials and interacting with them. What Fran did to that official served no purpose but to intimidate him.

We are having enough trouble as it is to get officials to do games universally at all levels.

As shitty as officials can sometimes be, there is a time and place to deal with that. Not saying Fran or any other coach can't plead their case, but how you conduct yourself makes a world of difference.

Just my opinion.

Fran's behavior has been terrible this year.

Last edited:

I would rather have Mr. Davis's results......more Sweet 16s and Elite 8s.....never lost a first round game. But, I would take Fran over Alfraud and Lackluster for sure.

Fran is a poorer version of Mr. Davis.

I may be wrong, but I think I remember a Miller team who came back from a 10 pt deficit with one minute to play. Of course there were no 3's at the time. That is a comparable if not greter accomplishment.
Perhaps but that was somewhat counterbalanced by the double bonus rule not existing then. And that made it easier for teams to come back. No way does NC State win in 1983 if the double bonus would have existed. Not even a team of destiny could have counted on THAT many free throws being missed to keep advancing.

Wasn't Tom's PhD in something like "Athletic activities in the pre Revolution american colonies" or something like that?

It's like when Marty DiBirgi from Spinal Tap is interviewing David St. Hubbins on the origin of how Hubbins became a Saint and he says he was a Saint of athletic footwear or something like that.

I agree that Fran often looks terrible when he goes defcon 5 but I also think most of the time he’s more in control than what it looks like. Yesterday when he got the technical he thought the game was over. If you watch when calls aren’t going his way you can see his assistant coaches telling him to calm down and he does if the game is in reach. The stare down was weird and a bad look for him but he’s basically a good guy and most people that deal with him know that. The official was not feeling the slightest bit threatened. He had all the power in the situation and he knew it. He should be applauded for his self control. I have never been an official but I think I would have tossed him. I don’t think Frans antics had much to do with the final flurry from the Hawks. They fought hard and the ball bounced their way.

I agree that Fran often looks terrible when he goes defcon 5 but I also think most of the time he’s more in control than what it looks like. Yesterday when he got the technical he thought the game was over. If you watch when calls aren’t going his way you can see his assistant coaches telling him to calm down and he does if the game is in reach. The stare down was weird and a bad look for him but he’s basically a good guy and most people that deal with him know that. The official was not feeling the slightest bit threatened. He had all the power in the situation and he knew it. He should be applauded for his self control. I have never been an official but I think I would have tossed him. I don’t think Frans antics had much to do with the final flurry from the Hawks. They fought hard and the ball bounced their way.
And they executed. Even when Michigan State knew the three was going up Sandfort still got it off, thanks to rhe pass and screen.

In a similar situation at Penn State earlier this year we didn't execute and the pass got picked off.

Spot on. I do agree, to an extent, it is an act he puts on.....and I don't think it is a sound strategy more often than not. Big Ten needs to redefine what the boundaries are for coaches and officials interactions.

Wasn't Tom's PhD in something like "Athletic activities in the pre Revolution american colonies" or something like that?

It's like when Marty DiBirgi from Spinal Tap is interviewing David St. Hubbins on the origin of how Hubbins became a Saint and he says he was a Saint of athletic footwear or something like that.
Not sure why Fry is so offended/butthurt over Tom Davis's academic accomplishments. You don't have to be a medical doctor to be a Dr in other academic fields.

1677431747610.png

I thought this was his emotions in check. He kept his mouth shut. What's the ref gonna do? "But he was looking at me!!" I liked when the ref stepped closer after Fran did.

Maybe the guys loosened up without him in the huddle and seeing what he was doing. They definitely played differently after that.
I was a little surprised the ref did that. Up to that point, Fran was "winning" the moment. When Ref didn't flinch and stepped forward, Fran sorta turned sideways, as if, "Oh Shit! This guy isn't backing down and just might kick my ass! Better save face and defer to the guy with the whistle ... We'll call it a draw."

My opinion is Fran thought the first T was really weak so the stare was to prove a point. "If you give me a T for what little thing I said earlier, all I can do now is look at you". He's pretty much mocking the ref for giving such a weak T earlier.

So back to the bracket simulator. Now if you go in and change only 2 games (Iowa/Indiana and one extra Maryland loss) we get the 2 seed with something like a 7 or 8 place tie for 2nd place. It would technically be Frans highest place finish in conference.

Latest posts