Greatest Individual Game In Iowa History

No shit Sherlock that it has been going on through the decades. And, it is not getting any better.

We have a ref shortage if you did not know......like or not.....people will look up to how Fran/xyz coach acts in games. Moving up to intimidate that official....there was nothing professional about that.....and it is this type of behavior....lack of a respect for authority and civil discourse which is draining our school systems from student behavior to how we treat one and other in games (coaches and players alike).

One of the reasons why we have a shortage is how officials get treated. Even if they suck at their job, physical intimidation tactics and verbal berating by coaches has no place in competition and there should be consequences for those actions (as well as appropriate consequences for Ref calls/behavior at the proper time).

It is sad, but that is where we are....where you are here. I think it is sad that you think that is acceptable behavior.......again I'm sure it was part an act by Fran in why he said absolutely nothing.....but we know what he was trying to do. I applaud the ref for showing restraint and I'm happy for our players it did not cost them the game.

You would not like it one bit if someone did the same thing to you and you were trying to officiate a game or maintain order in an authority role......if it all came down to it.

Yes, sadly how authority figures have acted in our society has also helped lead to the decline of civility......but look at this way......why even have officials if you going to treat them like shit and throw a tantrum when things don't go your way? Do we just want the players to call their own fouls? See how well that goes over.

Officials deserve a certain degree of respect by virtue of their job. It is their job to enforce rules and make calls without fear of being verbally and physically assaulted...especially by players and coaching staffs. With fans, it is harder (especially major D1 environments) to do a lot about the verbal stuff....but you can bet your ass security will on the floor the minute a spectator goes after an official. Why should Fran/Howard/Knight/Izzo/xyz coach be treated any differently pulling the same type of crap?

Other coaches have done much worse than Fran in this spot if we are comparing apples to apples, but it does not make it anymore right. He should be suspended at least 1 game.
There’s 0% chance I’m intimidated physically by a senior citizen in a track suit, so the rest of all that seems moot but I’ll still play. I don’t think Fran did anything out of line and while that makes you sad, I think it makes you soft. He stared at an official, nothing else. Of course it was to make a point. Are you against peaceful protest too? Do we all just need to comply? Lick the boots of the official? I don’t give a shit about there being a ref shortage lol. The sport makes billions, they don’t even retain these guys as full time employees. I don’t feel bad for an official in the slightest. No one has forced them to work this job. Most of them revel in the power and I doubt many are near the poverty line.

I get it’s a hard job, but just like you posting a bunch of hacks like Seth Davis and that douche canoe Dan Dakich that think Fran needs discipline, I could post tenfold the articles (from reputable sources) about college officiating being a joke and at an all time low as far as consistency.

sooooofffft

Fp8L3w-X0AQ1leo
Thank you

• To no one’s surprise, Iowa coach Fran McCaffery went viral again over the weekend for his behavior toward a referee. In this case, it wasn’t the way McCaffery argued a call, it was the menacing staredown he deployed towards Kelly Pfeifer, a Big Ten official. Pfeifer had just whistled McCaffery for a technical towards the end of a very tense home game against Michigan State. I’m not sure why Pfeifer didn’t give McCaffrey a second T, which would have warranted an automatic ejection, but he should have. As such, I hope the Big Ten office fines or reprimands McCaffery for what he did. This wasn’t just arguing a call, this was an act of intimidation, and it clearly crossed the line of acceptability.

Look, I like McCaffery. He’s a heck of a basketball coach, as evidenced by the Hawkeyes’ incredible comeback win. And as Iowa fans love to point out, McCaffery is far from the only coach who engages in egregious behavior towards referees. Which is exactly the problem. The behavior from college basketball coaches towards referees has been too awful for too long. NBA coaches don’t act this way. A huge part of the problem is that coaches have a lot of sway with league supervisors as to who gets assigned games, so refs understandably feel that their ability to garner plum assigments is dependent on currying favor the coaches. So all but a few are reluctant to take appropriate action when the coaches get out of hand.

My hope, then, is that when the NCAA men’s basketball rules committee gathers for its annual summer meeting, it issues a very clear point of emphasis that instructs referees to be a lot quicker when it comes to calling technical fouls on coaches. When coaches wanted the hook-and-hold move taken out of the game, the committee made it a flagrant foul, and now we hardly ever see it anymore. There’s a place for a dialogue between coaches and officials, and I understand that things can get a little heated. But this has gone on for too long, and it needs to stop.

Amen Seth Davis.....says basically the same type of things I have been saying.

This is what Sam Decker had to say:

Sam Dekker
@dekker

When a coach becomes “the show” it’s a problem. This also (by rule) should be a tech/ejection. Falls in the “Intimidation behavior” towards officials or players.
”Menacing staredown.” Oh, please. This ain’t the gunfight at the OK Coral.

The ref could have tossed Fran under the letter of the rules. But, I respect the hell out of that official for letting Fran vent. He knew Fran was pissed, probably thought Fran had some cause to be pissed, and just let him stare. He almost looked amused. He also stepped forward, which I also respect. He actually could have walked to another spot on the floor or even turned his back. He just held his ground. He was not cowed but he also did not overreact. Just damn fine officiating at that moment in time IMHO. Its a sport, its supposed to be entertaining. That was. Good job, ref.

Also, it was clear enough to me that Fran was pulling a stunt with the intent of being tossed. Like the rest of us, Fran was pretty certain Iowa was going to lose anyway (I don't care what he said in the post game presser), and he was looking to get kicked out in a blaze of glory. Maybe the ref saw through that and did not give Fran what he wanted. Sometimes ignoring the child throwing a tantrum is the right move. :)

There’s 0% chance I’m intimidated physically by a senior citizen in a track suit, so the rest of all that seems moot but I’ll still play. I don’t think Fran did anything out of line and while that makes you sad, I think it makes you soft. He stared at an official, nothing else. Of course it was to make a point. Are you against peaceful protest too? Do we all just need to comply? Lick the boots of the official? I don’t give a shit about there being a ref shortage lol. The sport makes billions, they don’t even retain these guys as full time employees. I don’t feel bad for an official in the slightest. No one has forced them to work this job. Most of them revel in the power and I doubt many are near the poverty line.

I get it’s a hard job, but just like you posting a bunch of hacks like Seth Davis and that douche canoe Dan Dakich that think Fran needs discipline, I could post tenfold the articles (from reputable sources) about college officiating being a joke and at an all time low as far as consistency.

sooooofffft
He's got a three plus decade hard-on for Tom Davis. Any coach who isn't Tom Davis ain't Tom Davis and can never live up to the awesomeness that was Tom Davis. Tom Davis probably couldn't even live up to Tom Davis in @HaydenHawk56 's eyes.

Here's a little nugget for everyone...

Mr Tom was 89-87 in the B1G after Raveling's recruits were done. That's .506

Fran is 95-75 in the B1G since Fraud and Lick's recruits were done. That's .558

Davis made a couple sweet sixteens and an elite 8 in his first year with guys he didn't recruit while still benefitting from the sunset of Lute Olson (that's an Iowa coach who really deserves accolades). Other than that he was a pretty mediocre coach and lazy recruiter in a college landscape that was much less forgiving and not near as tough as the one Fran coaches in, from recruiting, retention, NCAA scrutiny, social media, longer schedules, you name it.

Not sure why Fry is so offended/butthurt over Tom Davis's academic accomplishments. You don't have to be a medical doctor to be a Dr in other academic fields.
I've known several people with PhD's who don't like to be called "Dr" because of the pretentiousness. One of them was my middle school principal.

Mind you I'm not saying Mr. Tom wanted to be called Dr. I'm just saying the cult of personality crowd insists on it because they want their own Osbourne figurehead like nebraska.

Also, it was clear enough to me that Fran was pulling a stunt with the intent of being tossed. Like the rest of us, Fran was pretty certain Iowa was going to lose anyway (I don't care what he said in the post game presser), and he was looking to get kicked out in a blaze of glory. Maybe the ref saw through that and did not give Fran what he wanted. Sometimes ignoring the child throwing a tantrum is the right move. :)
Yeah agree with all of this. Another thing that's interesting is just that the folks that are crying over it are they pissed that Fran did it or that the ref didn't toss him? I mean there's a reason Fran did it and there's a reason the ref didn't toss him. We damn well know why Fran did what he did. We don't know why the ref didn't toss him because the refs are untouchable. That to me is what needs to change. They should have to face the media and be held accountable too. Also what's stopping one of the other officials from tossing Fran for that? Why would it have had to be the guy he stared down? They all let him do it too.

I think the second one would've ended up being a suspension so he probably dodged a bullet there. That said I'm a fan of Fran and I thought the staredown was hilarious.

No shit Sherlock that it has been going on through the decades. And, it is not getting any better.

We have a ref shortage if you did not know......like or not.....people will look up to how Fran/xyz coach acts in games. Moving up to intimidate that official....there was nothing professional about that.....and it is this type of behavior....lack of a respect for authority and civil discourse which is draining our school systems from student behavior to how we treat one and other in games (coaches and players alike).

One of the reasons why we have a shortage is how officials get treated. Even if they suck at their job, physical intimidation tactics and verbal berating by coaches has no place in competition and there should be consequences for those actions (as well as appropriate consequences for Ref calls/behavior at the proper time).

It is sad, but that is where we are....where you are here. I think it is sad that you think that is acceptable behavior.......again I'm sure it was part an act by Fran in why he said absolutely nothing.....but we know what he was trying to do. I applaud the ref for showing restraint and I'm happy for our players it did not cost them the game.

You would not like it one bit if someone did the same thing to you and you were trying to officiate a game or maintain order in an authority role......if it all came down to it.

Yes, sadly how authority figures have acted in our society has also helped lead to the decline of civility......but look at this way......why even have officials if you going to treat them like shit and throw a tantrum when things don't go your way? Do we just want the players to call their own fouls? See how well that goes over.

Officials deserve a certain degree of respect by virtue of their job. It is their job to enforce rules and make calls without fear of being verbally and physically assaulted...especially by players and coaching staffs. With fans, it is harder (especially major D1 environments) to do a lot about the verbal stuff....but you can bet your ass security will on the floor the minute a spectator goes after an official. Why should Fran/Howard/Knight/Izzo/xyz coach be treated any differently pulling the same type of crap?

Other coaches have done much worse than Fran in this spot if we are comparing apples to apples, but it does not make it anymore right. He should be suspended at least 1 game.

I think it's more the lack of a structured home, schedule for kids, and parenting, ...................but I digress.

Trying to tie in something like officiating and coaches with what is lacking in our society is laughable.

I wish they used more instant replay like in football....even if it added more time to the game...just make sure they get things right.

Also sucks that some calls are not reviewable....case in point when the Indiana player traveled before the foul occurred at the very end of the women's game.

But basketball is so fluid, that you would end up with 3 1/2 hour games. Also, what can be reviewed vs what can't be. It would be a can of worms. Sometimes, I wish other sports would have never opened that can, because often times they don't get it correct anyway and it takes obvious calls so much time before the answer.

If they set some specific guidelines and had the review officials take two quick looks and go with their gut instinct in 3-5 seconds of viewing, that might be fine.

Again, in basketball you would have many stoppages which would mess with the flow of the game.

I dunno. If Fran wanted to get tossed to energize his team, wouldn't he just say something to make it happen.

We have a ref shortage if you did not know.....
There is absolutely no shortage of D1 basketball refs, let alone in P6 conferences. Not even close to anything resembling a shortage. There are hundreds of guys who wish they had each of those spots.

The officiating shortage is in youth and high school sports.

There is absolutely no shortage of D1 basketball refs, let alone in P6 conferences. Not even close to anything resembling a shortage. There are hundreds of guys who wish they had each of those spots.

I agree and I was going to write something similar. There are sooo many youth teams there aren't enough refs, but the number of teams go down as players get older. But, I suppose the quality of referring could be hurting because the pool of quality refs is smaller to choose from, but there is no shortage at that level.

I think it's more the lack of a structured home, schedule for kids, and parenting, ...................but I digress.

Trying to tie in something like officiating and coaches with what is lacking in our society is laughable.
Nah, adults are doing it to.....from congress to the basketball court. It is all one big shit show.

I'm not arguing that....that is why i said universally. The money is a lot better in college and certainly the pros. But, refs have to start somewhere.....and imitation can be an art....berating officials at the higher levels and shit rolls more down hill.

Latest posts