Get...MIles...NOW

Sorry if I'm coming off like you're stupid if you don't agree with me but I do think the answer is pretty obvious. Do you think if you ask any other fan base in the country if they had a choice between Ferentz or Miles to be their next head coach more would choose Ferentz? I think Miles would be chosen almost unanimously

No, I'd say most of the fan base would look at the W/L record and pick Miles. There are coaches I'd pick over Ferentz but Miles is not one of them.

Miles best years were with Saban recruits. Basically because Saben left Miles with his only good QB's. In 2005 & 2006 Miles had Saban recruit Jamarcus Russel (4*) and in 2007 his National Championship year Matt Flynn (4*).

Miles wasn't a good game day coach, and was a terrible clock manager. Yet Miles big undoing was his lack of develop QB's. Here are his QB recruits he couldn't develop

Perrilloux (5*)
Jarrett Lee (4*)
Jordan Jefferson (4*)
Russell Shepard (5*)
Zach Lee (4*)
Jerrard Randall (4*)
Zach Mettenberger (4*)
Jeremy Liggins (3*)
Anthony Jennings (4*)
Hayden Rettig (4*)
Brandon Harris (4*)

Can you imagine if KF recruited that well at the QB position and couldn't develop a SINGLE ONE OF THEM???? It was so bad it was actually beginning to hurt him recruiting wise. Miles last 2 QB recruits were a 2* and 3* kid. In the '16 class the QB Lindsey Scott (3*) is a kid LSU beat out Maryland and Rutgers for. In the '15 class they signed a 2* kid McMillan who they beat out Arkansas St. and UNLV for his services. Currently they are playing a Purdue transfer Etling. Miles couldn't develop 10 different 4* or 5* QB's, what is he going to do with 2* and 3* kids?

You have watched KF qbs, right?

QB play has held LSU back.

God help college football if it hadn't.

Also "not that good of a coach" - ha beaten our win total almost every single year during his conference and division's golden age, as well as amassing the best win percentage at a historically top 15 school.

He got fired because he couldn't beat Saban, and that program DOES NOT SETTLE FOR SECOND PLACE, PERIOD.

There's no other reason. They thought losing to Wisconsin was a worse offense than losing to:

Wrstern Michigan
Iowa State
NDSU
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Minnesota

and a host of other unmentionables Iowa has lost to under KF that they had 0 business losing to. It happens almost every year here.

Had Hayden not aged out, he would have never allowed ISU to climb back into the rivalry. He would have curb stomped NW.

Our coach is good at one thing - keeping games very close. Because he plays mathematical, calculated, by the numbers NFL football. Sometimes they get the breaks, sometimes they don't. Talent almost doesn't matter because of the control over the style of play, the drilled execution, the statistical zeal of the play calls.

Put Miles in here, and the qb play would be better immediately - because of the wrs he'd get.

The QB play at LSU stinks, even though they are pumping out elite WR. Miles wouldn't get nearly as good of skill player at Iowa as he does at LSU.

He doesn't have to get 11 5 star players. He has to get 9 3 stars and two 4 stars. Kirk barely gets 3 star recruits, most years. When ISU is more talented at skill positions than you are, something is wrong.

The thing that is wrong is recruiting. You are telling me that ISU is easier to recruit quality WRs to than Iowa? With just Lazard over the last year and a half, Iowa wouldn't have lost the game to MSU, and probably could have moved the ball a little better vs. Stanford.

As far as developing a QB goes - if you have a simple offense (like most college teams) and a great defense, you can win a lot of football without "developing" a qb. Miles at least has drafted QBs that started in the NFL (they were poor starters). Two of Kirk's offensive skill positions players (Dallas Clark and Shawn Greene) have ever even made the field during regular season NFL play. That includes all those QBs Kirk develops better than Miles.

Kirk talks about being a developmental program. He develops two things here -- offensive guards and tackles, and defensive tackles, and an occasional TE or LB. The NFL prowess people crow about has mostly been about his strength and conditioning program's ability to add enough mass to undersized players to be Div. 1/NFL linemen.

Those positions are important, but our line hasn't been truly great for many years now (2008/ 2009). NDSU's line was better than Iowa's.

That's what happens when you don't believe in recruiting at a high level. You become a fat cat of player development. At least if you start a little higher on the ladder (like Miles would with his recruiting ties) you can maybe develop something like an NFL wr or rb or anything that can run a route and get open.

This is true. Work with LSU fan. He has sounded like an Iowa fan complaint recording the past several years. Miles is say type coach as KF. just different talent levels.

Agree - same type of coach -- where he's coached gives him a better recruit pipeline, that will still go with home wherever he goes next -- and he's obviously a better recruiter than Kirk.

He doesn't have to get 11 5 star players. He has to get 9 3 stars and two 4 stars. Kirk barely gets 3 star recruits, most years. When ISU is more talented at skill positions than you are, something is wrong.

How did he average over 10 wins a season with such bad QB play?

First off, LOL if you think that ISU's RB and TE are better than Iowa's. Sure they have a good legacy WR on their team, but take him away and their WR aren't that good.

Miles wins 10 games a year getting top 5 recruiting classes year after year. Yet you guys
think he can bring in classes that are better than Iowas (but nowhere near what he gets now) and still win 9 or 10 games a year (to be better than KF 8.2 wins per years)?

You can talk til you guys are blue in the face, I'm not buying it. When Miles had to build a program he won 7 games in his 4th year at Okie St. When Ferentz had to build a program (at a similar types school) he won 7 games in year 3 and 11 games in year 4 and had Iowa top 5 in the country. If Miles stays at Okie St., this isn't even a debate, as the guy would have never done for Okie St. what Ferentz did for Iowa.

First off, LOL if you think that ISU's RB and TE are better than Iowa's. Sure they have a good legacy WR on their team, but take him away and their WR aren't that good.

Miles wins 10 games a year getting top 5 recruiting classes year after year. Yet you guys
think he can bring in classes that are better than Iowas (but nowhere near what he gets now) and still win 9 or 10 games a year (to be better than KF 8.2 wins per years)?

You can talk til you guys are blue in the face, I'm not buying it. When Miles had to build a program he won 7 games in his 4th year at Okie St. When Ferentz had to build a program (at a similar types school) he won 7 games in year 3 and 11 games in year 4 and had Iowa top 5 in the country. If Miles stays at Okie St., this isn't even a debate, as the guy would have never done for Okie St. what Ferentz did for Iowa.

He gets top 5 recruiting classes year after year even though they aren't a top 5 program. That's pretty impressive

Ferentz has won 7.4 games per year at Iowa, not 8.2

Ferentz has won 7.4 games per year at Iowa, not 8.2

Yep, and I said I throw out the 1st and 2nd year. So 8.2 Wins per year.

Are you trying to say that going to Iowa when Ferentz did (left with a nightmare) and going to LSU when Miles did (following the best college football coach of the last 20 years) is the same thing?

Yep, and I said I throw out the 1st and 2nd year. So 8.2 Wins per year.

Are you trying to say that going to Iowa when Ferentz did (left with a nightmare) and going to LSU when Miles did (following the best college football coach of the last 20 years) is the same thing?

Haha of course we should just throw out seasons like they didn't happen. Miles walked into a better situation because he's a better coach.

Haha of course we should just throw out seasons like they didn't happen. Miles walked into a better situation because he's a better coach.

LOL. I mean I get that you are really invested in this argument at this point.....but lets leave completely stupid thoughts like this at the door, and talk like rational adults.

Lets compare both coaches when they both stepped into a rebuild. Miles got his team to 7 win in 4 years. Ferentz got his team to 11 wins a top 5 ranking going into the Bowl game and won National Coach of the year.

LOL thinking that a guy born on 3rd base actually hit a triple. Start KF right after Saban left LSU and he does the same or better that Miles (just like he outperformed him when comparing a rebuilding project).

LOL. I mean I get that you are really invested in this argument at this point.....but lets leave completely stupid thoughts like this at the door, and talk like rational adults.

Lets compare both coaches when they both stepped into a rebuild. Miles got his team to 7 win in 4 years. Ferentz got his team to 11 wins a top 5 ranking going into the Bowl game and won National Coach of the year.

LOL thinking that a guy born on 3rd base actually hit a triple. Start KF right after Saban left LSU and he does the same or better that Miles (just like he outperformed him when comparing a rebuilding project).

Both Miles and Ferentz took over messy programs that had just gone 3-8. Ferentz took over a program that had 66 wins in the previous decade, Miles took over a program that had 40 wins. Miles went 28-21 in his four years at Oklahoma State. Ferentz went 22-26 his first four seasons here

Latest posts