Get...MIles...NOW

If those classes at OSU were nothing special how do you explain him winning 28 games there in 4 years when they won 40 games total the previous 10 years?

T. Boon Pickens. Money helps...a lot. Oklahoma Tri State area has multiple times the local talent and quantity of Iowa has, it's not even close, they also border TX. he averaged 7 wins in his first 4 years, isn't that what everyone says is unacceptable at Iowa?

You are welcome to your opinion, I actually even understand where you are coming from...but please stop acting like it's so obvious that Miles is better than KF. It's really not obvious, no matter how much you want it to be.

Again, it's not going to be proved either way. Apples to Hand Grenades.

You are discounting the job Gundy has done at OSU, Miles didn't leave the place a juggernaut in fact Gundy's first season was 4-7 and he was able to pull off a top 20 recruiting class the very next year.

You are speculating as to what Ferentz could do with the talent Miles has gotten at LSU. Ferentz has gotten Iowa into the NC conversations 3 times, which happened only once during Fry's career, and before that Evashevski back in the 60s. Like I've been telling you all along you are not comparing apples to apples here.

Miles signed back to back top 25 recruiting classes his last two seasons at Oklahoma State. He left the cupboard pretty full.

Everything is speculating when talking about who is a better coach or who would do better where. Miles had an easier job recruiting to LSU because of location but also had to play a much tougher schedule that Ferentz has to play. I think Miles would win more games in Iowa City than Ferentz would moving forward. I have nothing factual to prove that is the case that is just my opinion

T. Boon Pickens. Money helps...a lot. Oklahoma Tri State area has multiple times the local talent and quantity of Iowa has, it's not even close, they also border TX. he averaged 7 wins in his first 4 years, isn't that what everyone says is unacceptable at Iowa?

You are welcome to your opinion, I actually even understand where you are coming from...but please stop acting like it's so obvious that Miles is better than KF. It's really not obvious, no matter how much you want it to be.

Again, it's not going to be proved either way. Apples to Hand Grenades.

Sorry if I'm coming off like you're stupid if you don't agree with me but I do think the answer is pretty obvious. Do you think if you ask any other fan base in the country if they had a choice between Ferentz or Miles to be their next head coach more would choose Ferentz? I think Miles would be chosen almost unanimously

Sorry if I'm coming off like you're stupid if you don't agree with me but I do think the answer is pretty obvious. Do you think if you ask any other fan base in the country if they had a choice between Ferentz or Miles to be their next head coach more would choose Ferentz? I think Miles would be chosen almost unanimously

I believe most fans would look at the respective records and say Miles, because that they way it goes, you are what you W/L record says you are, that's understandable. That said, I also believe the coaching community at multiple levels of football would say KF, even without the National Title. Let me be clear, neither is elite, and both have their issues. My belief is that overall KF does more with less that Miles could at Iowa, and I don't believe that the improvement in recruiting would be enough to make of for the loss in developmental ability.

Who knows, but that answer isn't obvious. I'll say it again, you have your opinion, I have mine. We will never know.

I believe most fans would look at the respective records and say Miles, because that they way it goes, you are what you W/L record says you are, that's understandable. That said, I also believe the coaching community at multiple levels of football would say KF, even without the National Title. Let me be clear, neither is elite, and both have their issues. My belief is that overall KF does more with less that Miles could at Iowa, and I don't believe that the improvement in recruiting would be enough to make of for the loss in developmental ability.

Who knows, but that answer isn't obvious. I'll say it again, you have your opinion, I have mine. We will never know.

Why do you believe the coaching community would say KF?

Why should we assume this? I'm not a LSU fan and I don't hold Miles in high regard, so I feel like he wouldn't be valued as highly as you value him. I don't have ties to MSU, but I value Dantonio as a coach, I don't have ties to OSU, but I think Gundy is better than Miles.

I don't think Miles would upgrade over what Fry and Haden have done over the last 35+ years. Now I do think a Dantonio, a Belima (who I don't really care for mind you) could have a chance of elevating Iowa beyond what they have been.

Why should we assume this? I'm not a LSU fan and I don't hold Miles in high regard, so I feel like he wouldn't be valued as highly as you value him. I don't have ties to MSU, but I value Dantonio as a coach, I don't have ties to OSU, but I think Gundy is better than Miles.

I don't think Miles would upgrade over what Fry and Haden have done over the last 35+ years. Now I do think a Dantonio, a Belima (who I don't really care for mind you) could have a chance of elevating Iowa beyond what they have been.

I think the general college fan views Miles as a better coach than Ferentz.

These links also all have Miles listed better than Ferentz going into the 2016 season.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/2016-college-football-coaches-rankings

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ma-nick-saban-jim-harbaugh-urban-meyer-080916

https://campusinsiders.com/news/ranking-college-football-coaches-06-27-2016/

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...e-college-football-coaches-entering-2016/amp/

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...gh-stoops/10wt4yvdwrt7f1mpc6g1w4lv2w/slide/37

Fire every coordinator who's stats are below par. Basically everybody but the special teams coach has to go. Go get those ex Notre Dame and LSU guys. Les Miles was an offensive guy, hire him as an OC and you'd probably get someone who'd tell ferentz to "shut the hell up and let me run my offense". 179 rushing yards allowed is beyond pathetic with this defense. Housecleaning is needed, but won't happen because loyalty > results especially with that kind of job security.

Without clicking on a link I would assume it was Miles that was up for a National Coach of the year last year, right?

Gene Chizik then Gus Malzahn, was once considered a good coach. James Franklin was panned as a very good coach. I remember arguing with some on this site that after Brady hoke's first year that he was NOT better than Ferentz. You probably were the one telling me that his was stupid and that National writers and fans all view Hoke as a better coach.

Miles didn't do anything before LSU and he won't do anything after LSU, I'm willing to bet on it.

Why do you believe the coaching community would say KF?

This will be my last post on this specific topic. I will say it again, my opinion, based on the small amount I know and have seen from both coached. It is very clearly documented I have a ton of respect for Ferentz so my opinion is biased. I also believe my opinion is at the very least somewhat supported by data, but still just my opinion.

I believe the coaching community would look beyond simply W/L and the Nat'l Title comparison. KF has been up for National Coach of the Year honors 2 times(winning 1), 4 time B1G COY. 2 Conference championships.

Miles COY honors once...2011... a National Title, Never an SEC COY, and also 2 Conference championships. I do not believe Miles could have had the success that KF has had at Iowa, not even close.

While I do believe LSU's road through SEC is tougher than Iowa's through the B1G, I also believe with the talent level available in LSU's back yard, there is no reason they are not top 10-15 every year.

In addition, while I don't dislike Miles(I actually kind of like him), I have and do question his character and how "clean" his programs are, and that also matters to me, and I think it matters to the coaching community. I am not going to link the allegations from both Ok State and LSU under his tenure....but they are well documented, you can google his name and most is readily available.

Finally, there is this - accolades and honors: I would say while KF doesn't have the Grand Prize that Miles does, his body of work, from a coaching standmpoint, is clearly viewed as more impressive by his peers.

Kirk Ferentz:
Accomplishments and honors
Championships

2 Big Ten (2002, 2004)
1 Big Ten West Division (2015)
Awards
AP College Football COY (2002)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2002)
Big Ten Coach of the Year (2002, 2004, 2009, 2015)
Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award (2015)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, Football Writers Association of America (2015)
Region 3 Coach of the Year (American Football Coaches Association) (2015)
Woody Hayes Coach of the Year (2015)

Less Miles:
Championships
1 National (2007)
2 SEC (2007, 2011)
3 SEC Western Division (2005, 2007, 2011)
Awards
Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award (2011)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (2011)
Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award (2011)
AFCA FBS Coach of the Year (2011)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2011)

Without clicking on a link I would assume it was Miles that won a National Coach of the year last year, right?

Gene Chizik then Gus Malzahn, was once considered a good coach. James Franklin was panned as a very good coach. I remember arguing with some on this site that after Brady hoke's first year that he was NOT better than Ferentz. You probably were the one telling me that his was stupid and that National writers and fans all view Hoke as a better coach.

Miles didn't do anything before LSU and he won't do anything after LSU, I'm willing to bet on it.

Every link I posted had Miles as a better coach than Ferentz. Ferentz, even after winning a coach of the year award wasn't even in the top 25 in some of those. I like Ferentz and I don't even like Miles so please stop saying stupid stuff so I don't have to defend Miles anymore. He's a very good coach, better than Ferentz so let's just leave it at that

Every link I posted had Miles as a better coach than Ferentz. Ferentz, even after winning a coach of the year award wasn't even in the top 25 in some of those. I like Ferentz and I don't even like Miles so please stop saying stupid stuff so I don't have to defend Miles anymore. He's a very good coach, better than Ferentz so let's just leave it at that

I agree, lets leave it at this.....Miles is overrated, and would not do well at Iowa.

This will be my last post on this specific topic. I will say it again, my opinion, based on the small amount I know and have seen from both coached. It is very clearly documented I have a ton of respect for Ferentz so my opinion is biased. I also believe my opinion is at the very least somewhat supported by data, but still just my opinion.

I believe the coaching community would look beyond simply W/L and the Nat'l Title comparison. KF has been up for National Coach of the Year honors 2 times(winning 1), 4 time B1G COY. 2 Conference championships.

Miles COY honors once...2011... a National Title, Never an SEC COY, and also 2 Conference championships. I do not believe Miles could have had the success that KF has had at Iowa, not even close.

While I do believe LSU's road through SEC is tougher than Iowa's through the B1G, I also believe with the talent level available in LSU's back yard, there is no reason they are not top 10-15 every year.

In addition, while I don't dislike Miles(I actually kind of like him), I have and do question his character and how "clean" his programs are, and that also matters to me, and I think it matters to the coaching community. I am not going to link the allegations from both Ok State and LSU under his tenure....but they are well documented, you can google his name and most is readily available.

Finally, there is this - accolades and honors: I would say while KF doesn't have the Grand Prize that Miles does, his body of work, from a coaching standmpoint, is clearly viewed as more impressive by his peers.

Kirk Ferentz:
Accomplishments and honors
Championships

2 Big Ten (2002, 2004)
1 Big Ten West Division (2015)
Awards
AP College Football COY (2002)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2002)
Big Ten Coach of the Year (2002, 2004, 2009, 2015)
Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award (2015)
Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, Football Writers Association of America (2015)
Region 3 Coach of the Year (American Football Coaches Association) (2015)
Woody Hayes Coach of the Year (2015)

Less Miles:
Championships
1 National (2007)
2 SEC (2007, 2011)
3 SEC Western Division (2005, 2007, 2011)
Awards
Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award (2011)
Home Depot Coach of the Year Award (2011)
Associated Press College Football Coach of the Year Award (2011)
AFCA FBS Coach of the Year (2011)
Walter Camp Coach of the Year (2011)

LSU is a very storied program and Miles has the highest winning percentage of any coach there in program history.

Fire every coordinator who's stats are below par. Basically everybody but the special teams coach has to go. Go get those ex Notre Dame and LSU guys. Les Miles was an offensive guy, hire him as an OC and you'd probably get someone who'd tell ferentz to "shut the hell up and let me run my offense". 179 rushing yards allowed is beyond pathetic with this defense. Housecleaning is needed, but won't happen because loyalty > results especially with that kind of job security.

Drugs are bad

He averaged over 10 wins per season, how is that not winning at LSU? The whole "he underachieved" logic is flawed, you can't penalize a coach for recruiting well. Sure Miles has been loaded with NFL talent but Ferentz has had a lot of NFL talent on his roster and has averaged just over 7 wins per season playing in a much easier conference. Is Ferentz underachieving too? I agree Miles wouldn't be at the top of my list on who I'd want at Iowa but I'd rather have him than Ferentz and I like Ferentz

Oh, but you CAN penalize a coach for recruiting well. Miles had top level talent across the board. 3-stars would ride pine because of all the 4 and 5 star talent he recruits. Yet, with all that talent, he won 2 BCS championships (and appeared in a second) but it was mostly with Saban's recruits. The year after his BCS championship? Oh, yeah. Pre-season ranked #7, finished 8-5. Hmmm.

I'd say Miles is a good coach but not as good as you're making him out to be.

You have me so confused. You have asked me who I think the better coach is, you have asked me who I would want to rebuild a program, now you are asking who I want to coach Iowa.

Why on earth would I want a coach who I think is overrated, and can't win up to the talent at LSU. How on earth will he win at Iowa if he can't win up to his talent level at LSU? You are overvaluing Miles by a mile. He is not a good game day coach, he is not a good clock manager (worse that KF if that is possible), he can't develop QB's (worse that KF if that is possible). Miles in Iowa City is a recipe for disaster. I would literally choose about 25 other coaches before Miles, heck maybe 50 coaches. Miles isn't that good, and for some reason you can't understand this is about Miles, not about KF.

He won a N.C. Kirk hasn't. He recruits some of the most talented players in the country. Kirk doesn't. It isn't just about location - he has to fight all the Texas schools, and Bama, and Auburn, and Florida and Arkansas for those players. It's a top ten job, but that's not an easy job.

He could recruit better than Kirk, here, just because he has pipelines in Louisiana (see Fry, Texas). He wouldn't stay here long, though, because he'd get another top ten job elsewhere, which is why I don't want him.

Miles best years were with Saban recruits. Basically because Saben left Miles with his only good QB's. In 2005 & 2006 Miles had Saban recruit Jamarcus Russel (4*) and in 2007 his National Championship year Matt Flynn (4*).

Miles wasn't a good game day coach, and was a terrible clock manager. Yet Miles big undoing was his lack of develop QB's. Here are his QB recruits he couldn't develop

Perrilloux (5*)
Jarrett Lee (4*)
Jordan Jefferson (4*)
Russell Shepard (5*)
Zach Lee (4*)
Jerrard Randall (4*)
Zach Mettenberger (4*)
Jeremy Liggins (3*)
Anthony Jennings (4*)
Hayden Rettig (4*)
Brandon Harris (4*)

Can you imagine if KF recruited that well at the QB position and couldn't develop a SINGLE ONE OF THEM???? It was so bad it was actually beginning to hurt him recruiting wise. Miles last 2 QB recruits were a 2* and 3* kid. In the '16 class the QB Lindsey Scott (3*) is a kid LSU beat out Maryland and Rutgers for. In the '15 class they signed a 2* kid McMillan who they beat out Arkansas St. and UNLV for his services. Currently they are playing a Purdue transfer Etling. Miles couldn't develop 10 different 4* or 5* QB's, what is he going to do with 2* and 3* kids?

Last edited:
Oh, but you CAN penalize a coach for recruiting well. Miles had top level talent across the board. 3-stars would ride pine because of all the 4 and 5 star talent he recruits. Yet, with all that talent, he won 2 BCS championships (and appeared in a second) but it was mostly with Saban's recruits. The year after his BCS championship? Oh, yeah. Pre-season ranked #7, finished 8-5. Hmmm.

I'd say Miles is a good coach but not as good as you're making him out to be.

He has the highest winning percentage of any coach in LSU history. Maybe if he recruited worse some of you would think he's a better coach?

Miles best years were with Saban recruits. Basically because Saben left Miles with his only good QB's. In 2005 & 2006 Miles had Saban recruit Jamarcus Russel (4*) and in 2007 his National Championship year Matt Flynn (4*).

Miles wasn't a good game day coach, and was a terrible clock manager. Yet Miles big undoing was his lack of develop QB's. Here are his QB recruits he couldn't develop

Perrilloux (5*)
Jarrett Lee (4*)
Jordan Jefferson (4*)
Russell Shepard (5*)
Zach Lee (4*)
Jerrard Randall (4*)
Zach Mettenberger (4*)
Jeremy Liggins (3*)
Anthony Jennings (4*)
Hayden Rettig (4*)
Brandon Harris (4*)

Can you imagine if KF recruited that well at the QB position and couldn't develop a SINGLE ONE OF THEM???? It was so bad it was actually beginning to hurt him recruiting wise. Miles last 2 QB recruits were a 2* and 3* kid. In the '16 class the QB Lindsey Scott (3*) is a kid LSU beat out Maryland and Rutgers for. In the '15 class they signed a 2* kid McMillan who they beat out Arkansas St. and UNLV for his services. Currently they are playing a Purdue transfer Etling. Miles couldn't develop 10 different 4* or 5* QB's, what is he going to do with 2* and 3* kids?

Mettenberger threw for 5700 in two seasons at LSU and got drafted

Latest posts