Gameday in Ames. It’s official

Well said. This isn’t being a homer, i lived in Iowa almost 30 years and only live as far as Omaha now. I’ve been in every county of the state at some point and every city of note. Ames is the worse city in the state with Council Bluffs a very distant second.

Have you ever been to Lamoni???

The SW side of Cedar Rapids
The south side of Clinton.
Any side of Muscatine.

SW side of CR is a changing. The council F'ed up in my view on the West Dale deal but at least most everything is new now, and with the 100 bypass landing at highway 30 now on that side of town. It is off to the races on new stuff going up.

SW side of CR is a changing. The council F'ed up in my view on the West Dale deal but at least most everything is new now, and with the 100 bypass landing at highway 30 now on that side of town. It is off to the races on new stuff going up.
So does that mean Jefferson and Prairie will become overcrowded and they will have to build ADM high school?:)

Their mascot could be a fog and steam emitting grain silo.

Aside from all that, no one in the country could even point out our state on a map, Ames is a garbage town and not what any Iowan should want portrayed as a picture of what it’s like here.
Thank Gawd they haven't invented smellevision yet.

So does that mean Jefferson and Prairie will become overcrowded and they will have to build ADM high school?:)

Their mascot could be a fog and steam emitting grain silo.

Fog and smell of money, or government subsidies anyway. It don't smell like Cap'n Crunch or Cheerios.

Fog and smell of money, or government subsidies anyway. It don't smell like Cap'n Crunch or Cheerios.
The elementary school of my youth was a little more than half a mile from the old Dubuque packinghouse. You checked the wind direction when walking to school. If it was from the south there could be hell to pay that afternoon.. On the worst days the odor from the hog kill was so putrid you couldn't go outside for recess.

That was a major issue. Those playground dodgeball games in fifth or sixth grade could get pretty intense.

I always kind of liked the GM smell in Cedar Rapids for some reason.

I'm not an expert, but I think there might be two smells in CR. One is from General Mills and is just a processing smell. The other is from ADM and smells like Muscatine, but on a lesser level.

The elementary school of my youth was a little more than half a mile from the old Dubuque packinghouse. You checked the wind direction when walking to school. If it was from the south there could be hell to pay that afternoon.. On the worst days the odor from the hog kill was so putrid you couldn't go outside for recess.

That was a major issue. Those playground dodgeball games in fifth or sixth grade could get pretty intense.

Does anyone remember when Monfort was in Des Moines? That place would stink to high hell like 5 miles away.

Does anyone remember when Monfort was in Des Moines? That place would stink to high hell like 5 miles away.
You guys are easterners, but having spent significant time in both CR and Sioux City in my life, Sioux City trumped all when Morrell had its kill plant there. No contest.

There’s a reason it was known as Sewer City.

Last edited:
You guys are easterners, but having spent significant time in both CR and Sioux City in my life, Sioux City trumped all when Morrell has its kill plant there. No contest.

I'm with Fryowa on this one. I spent 4 years up there and I don't miss that smell. Between BPI, Cargill, and the others...puke....

You guys are easterners, but having spent significant time in both CR and Sioux City in my life, Sioux City trumped all when Morrell has its kill plant there. No contest.

Are you sure? I'm sure Morrell ran some insane volumes through there, but I thought that Dubuque had that giant ham plant there and that the beef plant was among the 5 or 10 largest in the country. I mean, my old man ran an egg farm and he said Dubuque was the worst smelling place he had ever been. He routinely passed through Sewer City en route to South Dakota to procure beer. Perhaps it was localized and he avoided the stench.

Are you sure? I'm sure Morrell ran some insane volumes through there, but I thought that Dubuque had that giant ham plant there and that the beef plant was among the 5 or 10 largest in the country. I mean, my old man ran an egg farm and he said Dubuque was the worst smelling place he had ever been. He routinely passed through Sewer City en route to South Dakota to procure beer. Perhaps it was localized and he avoided the stench.

We were at a student tailgate in the eighties and people starting singing old TV show intros like Gilligan's Island, Brady Bunch, HR Pufnstuf, etc. Suddenly without prompting someone started singing the jingle for this commercial, and people were absolutely losing it.

I grew up with the Dubuque pack smell and believe it wasn't as bad as other cities. A local legend, however, is that both Quaker Oats and ADM wanted to locate in Dubuque because of its proximity to the Mississippi and were turned down. So they located in Cedar Rapids and Clinton instead.

It goes a long way towards explaining how Dubuque's economy went in the toilet for about forty years. This story explains it even further. Local businessman AA Cooper was approached by a young man around 1910 about converting his wagon and buggy factories over to more diversified manufacturing. Cooper told the gentleman that he and his innovation were just a passing fad. The gentleman who's advances Cooper turned down was Henry Ford and the innovation that Cooper deemed as just a fad was the automobile...

Descendants of families like the Coopers, and their inheritance, controlled Dubuque for a long time. Some of them lived in places like Boston and could not even point out Dubuque on a map, let alone pay a visit.

I have never been to Sioux City but have heard things from Iowa students who were from there. I believe everything ever said about Sioux City.

Latest posts