Future Of The Program

They would stay with a new coach. They aren't stupid, they see what they are told to do isn't working.

Okay, so this season is lost. Firing Fran would be a big mistake. This team still has untapped potential. These guys are still relatively very young. I think what Fran needs to do is to bring in some guest trainers to come in and give these kids some pointers. Experts on ball handling drills. Someone to show them how to drive and dish. Bring in some defense gurus. People who can show them how to play tougher defense. Even if we just bring back former players that can teach them a few things. Maybe even bring in a sports physcologist and some motivational speakers. Anything that can help! Because whatever they’re doing now isn’t working. I’m not giving up on these kids. I still think they will be alot better when we are loaded with a top heavy junior and senior classes down the road. I just still think there is more that can be done to help them elevate their games. Just my 2 cents worth.

Okay, so this season is lost. Firing Fran would be a big mistake. This team still has untapped potential. These guys are still relatively very young. I think what Fran needs to do is to bring in some guest trainers to come in and give these kids some pointers. Experts on ball handling drills. Someone to show them how to drive and dish. Bring in some defense gurus. People who can show them how to play tougher defense. Even if we just bring back former players that can teach them a few things. Maybe even bring in a sports physcologist and some motivational speakers. Anything that can help! Because whatever they’re doing now isn’t working. I’m not giving up on these kids. I still think they will be alot better when we are loaded with a top heavy junior and senior classes down the road. I just still think there is more that can be done to help them elevate their games. Just my 2 cents worth.

Read the post above yours

Am I the only one who thinks some Fran apologists would actually root against a new coach just so they could say "I told you so"?

Such a pessimistic, miserable, glass half empty group of people they are.

In my opinion "potential" is meaningless if an individual(s) never achieves that anticipated level of success. It's a way of assigning value that cannot be measured to an individual (prospect) based on a set of skills they may possess that could be of value in the future. There is no guarantee that they ever develop or become solid players. So while I agree that I don't want to give up on them either, I'm simply not convinced that there is anything currently in place to help them over come these obstacles. If "guest trainers, experts, defensive gurus, former players, sports psychologists, motivational speakers, and other individuals outside the program are needed, IMO it means that those in charge of the program on the inside are not getting it done and changes need to be made internally.

I think when you're a Big 10 coach making millions, you're supposed to be the expert.

Am I the only one who thinks some Fran apologists would actually root against a new coach just so they could say "I told you so"?

Such a pessimistic, miserable, glass half empty group of people they are.

I get you're trolling here, as Fran apologists are anything other then pessimistic or glass half empty types. We are miserable though....and hell no, Fran apologists are Hawkeye fans. The large majority of the fan base is NOT in the fire Fran camp believe it or not and while most of them do not approve of what is happening on the floor this season, they also don't turn their back on somebody who up until 3 months ago had done a better then average job for their university. We've had 7 good years of rebuilding the program, with nearly no steps backwards until now. Now, it goes south and in 3 months a large faction of the vocal base is ready to bail on him. That seems like a defeatist attitude if I've ever heard one...and a tough sell to the next coach you bring in. But ff Fran was fired at the end of this season, I don't think any one weeps. Fran apologist or not. It's been that bad of a year...I think apologists and other fans like myself or Jon Miller point out that every coach not named Lute has had them over the last 50 years at Iowa. That doesn't make anyone happy about it, just a fact. It also doesn't mean it can't be better, we all want that and it doesn't matter who is coaching it if it happens.

In my opinion "potential" is meaningless if an individual(s) never achieves that anticipated level of success. It's a way of assigning value that cannot be measured to an individual (prospect) based on a set of skills they may possess that could be of value in the future. There is no guarantee that they ever develop or become solid players. So while I agree that I don't want to give up on them either, I'm simply not convinced that there is anything currently in place to help them over come these obstacles. If "guest trainers, experts, defensive gurus, former players, sports psychologists, motivational speakers, and other individuals outside the program are needed, IMO it means that those in charge of the program on the inside are not getting it done and changes need to be made internally.

If Iowa only had a coach that had a track record for developing "potential" talent in place. Somebody that could take guys and make them into all conference guys like Iowa has had the last 4 years.

I get you're trolling here, as Fran apologists are anything other then pessimistic or glass half empty types. We are miserable though....and hell no, Fran apologists are Hawkeye fans. The large majority of the fan base is NOT in the fire Fran camp believe it or not and while most of them do not approve of what is happening on the floor this season, they also don't turn their back on somebody who up until 3 months ago had done a better then average job for their university. We've had 7 good years of rebuilding the program, with nearly no steps backwards until now. Now, it goes south and in 3 months a large faction of the vocal base is ready to bail on him. That seems like a defeatist attitude if I've ever heard one...and a tough sell to the next coach you bring in. But ff Fran was fired at the end of this season, I don't think any one weeps. Fran apologist or not. It's been that bad of a year...I think apologists and other fans like myself or Jon Miller point out that every coach not named Lute has had them over the last 50 years at Iowa. That doesn't make anyone happy about it, just a fact. It also doesn't mean it can't be better, we all want that and it doesn't matter who is coaching it if it happens.

"We've had 7 good years" haha!

Fran apologists may be Hawkeye fans, but they're obviously bigger Fran fans.

How so? I am big Fran fan. Does that mean I am more Fran than Hawk or what? I support the head coach until he isn't the head coach anymore. Am I doing it wrong? I am not being snarky here, you tell me what is right.

"We've had 7 good years" haha!

They were all better than the previous until last season and I for one, enjoyed the heck out last year since it was sold as a rebuild. That's all I ask - for constant upward projection. It's not happening this season. So, like I said, there won't be one Fran fan who weeps if he's let go. It's a big boy game.

How so? I am big Fran fan. Does that mean I am more Fran than Hawk or what? I support the head coach until he isn't the head coach anymore. Am I doing it wrong? I am not being snarky here, you tell me what is right.

You would've supported retaining Joe Paterno?
Figures.

You would've supported retaining Joe Paterno?
Figures.

Of course not, there are exceptions. And how does it figure exactly? What figures about it? Do you know me? You've got me figured out? I wanted Lick gone. I was in favor of when Tom and Hayden got pushed out too. I'm just not in the get rid of Fran camp yet (though if they do I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought), so that means I support coaches who supported pedophiles? You are good at figuring I guess.

Of course not, there are exceptions. And how does it figure exactly? What figures about it? Do you know me? You've got me figured out? I wanted Lick gone. I was in favor of when Tom and Hayden got pushed out too. I'm just not in the get rid of Fran camp yet (though if they do I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought), so that means I support coaches who supported pedophiles? You are good at figuring I guess.

Hayden didn't get pushed out.
That factoid outs you as a clone with an agenda for Iowa to keep mediocre coaches.

One of these things is not like the other. Learned that jingle when I was 5. Nice try though.

He said he supports a coach until he is fired. You realize that type of "support" is how Hitler rose to power. Do you want Hitler to rise from the grave and assume power again? Well then you better start demanding better critical thinking skills from you fellow Hawkeye.
(every day I have to save humanity from evil with zero help, God I am amazing)

Hayden didn't get pushed out.
That factoid outs you as a clone with an agenda for Iowa to keep mediocre coaches.

I was 16 when that happened too BTW, felt to me he was at least nudged into retirement considering he showed interests in other jobs after Iowa.