Fred Hoiberg to UCLA

I still don't think the fan base has fully recovered from that Pierce incident. Many of the fans have returned, as the numbers reflect, but the student body has not fully returned.

Thanks for digging that back up!

I don't think the PIerce incident has anything to do with the student body not returning. Most of them don't even know who Alford and Pierre are. The student body doesn't go because their seats are garbage and they'd rather sit home and watch the game on their TV. Make it interesting and fun for the students, and they'll go.

Alford leaving Iowa as fast as he could for New Mexico....

giphy.gif

I don't think the PIerce incident has anything to do with the student body not returning. Most of them don't even know who Alford and Pierre are. The student body doesn't go because their seats are garbage and they'd rather sit home and watch the game on their TV. Make it interesting and fun for the students, and they'll go.

I agree with this but going to the Hawkeye games and be part of the "Hawks Nest" used to be a kewl thing to do. Alford made it unkewl and they haven't been back for all the reasons you list.

Alford doesn't think he is a douche, he is amazed that not everyone is amazed about how amazing he is.
Very true. He is narcissistic to that level. But he is most certainly self aware. He is to the point where he knows how others look at him. If he wasn't that he wouldn't be calling guys like Jon into his office to shake them down or leave jobs early ahead of the posse. I have no clue what his contract situation currently is but most likely it'll benefit him more to hang on till he's fired from there than not.. Plus what soft landing would he have if he were to leave UCLA?

Perhaps not a great place to go, but here is an idea. Alford has historically been a good recruiter. Not the best X's and O's guy. Illinois has been struggling as of late. Alford should be able to recruit Chicago. He could sign a 5 year contract with Illinois. Would that take him to about age 60 or so by the end of the 5 years? The Big 10 is going to be tough but he should have access to good recruits, perhaps he could find another noodles type guy to be his assistant. From Illinois he could still stick it to both Indiana and Iowa on occasion. Illinois would have lower expectations now than UCLA ever will. Maybe not a great move career wise, but could be a solid lucrative position to wind down his career. He could be top dog at Illinois. It is not a football school.

I agree with this but going to the Hawkeye games and be part of the "Hawks Nest" used to be a kewl thing to do. Alford made it unkewl and they haven't been back for all the reasons you list.

"They" graduated 10 years ago... the current students probably don't remember Alford or Pierce. Bad seating (which is way overdue to fix) and a meh product are the current culprits. And for god sakes, fill in every other aisle below Row 10 with seats...at least outside the free throw lines.

Last edited:
Very true. He is narcissistic to that level. But he is most certainly self aware. He is to the point where he knows how others look at him. If he wasn't that he wouldn't be calling guys like Jon into his office to shake them down or leave jobs early ahead of the posse. I have no clue what his contract situation currently is but most likely it'll benefit him more to hang on till he's fired from there than not.. Plus what soft landing would he have if he were to leave UCLA?
He is so self absorbed, probably considering a run for president of the US. I think he has a touch of Native American blood as well, or thinks he does.

Woulda been fun to be a fly on the wall.. Jon in those days wasn't bowing down to kiss any rings. Especially not his.

I don't know why this changed. That's what I liked about him. Now he gets kind of anti-fanbase when there's criticism. I want this Jon back: https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/decade-average-the-record.

That Jon that didn't edit himself. He thinks that made him look stupid. He's wrong. We had a miracle season in the next year. That was because we switched qbs and some of that was because of fan pressue. Then it suddenly stopped. Somebody made Jon feel really bad. He shouldn't have. It was the most journalistic thing he's ever done outside of standing up to Alford. He should be proud of it. He was a man of the people.

UCLA loses to Liberty 73-58. That is UCLA's 4th consecutive loss. Coaches seat getting very hot at UCLA. Hoiberg to the resque?

I don't know why this changed. That's what I liked about him. Now he gets kind of anti-fanbase when there's criticism. I want this Jon back: https://www.hawkeyenation.com/football/decade-average-the-record.

That Jon that didn't edit himself. He thinks that made him look stupid. He's wrong. We had a miracle season in the next year. That was because we switched qbs and some of that was because of fan pressue. Then it suddenly stopped. Somebody made Jon feel really bad. He shouldn't have. It was the most journalistic thing he's ever done outside of standing up to Alford. He should be proud of it. He was a man of the people.

100% in agreement. Whenever people talk about certain Iowa coaches as a saint, I roll my eyes. We have a CYA culture here, same as any other place. All Hawkeye sites with active message boards are under the thumb of the U for reasons having to do with access. A federal judge may be able to send Acosta back into the press room to harass the top dog, but if Rob or any other Hawkeye journalist becomes persona-non-grata, no judge is going to rescue them.

100% in agreement. Whenever people talk about certain Iowa coaches as a saint, I roll my eyes. We have a CYA culture here, same as any other place. All Hawkeye sites with active message boards are under the thumb of the U for reasons having to do with access. A federal judge may be able to send Acosta back into the press room to harass the top dog, but if Rob or any other Hawkeye journalist becomes persona-non-grata, no judge is going to rescue them.

Well, you don't need access to put pressure on a program. Everyone can watch the games and report. Everyone can listen to the calls. If you can't get an answer at a press conference, ask hard questions in public long enough and the U will be forced to answer.

Alford isn't the greatest basketball coach, but give the guy some credit. He is a family man that hasn't traded his wife in for a younger model. He has three kids, and seems to be a devoted father. The guy probably is through at UCLA, but he is loaded and I hope the best for him in the future. The guy isn't perfect, but he seems to be a guy that tries to live his life in the right way.

Alford isn't the greatest basketball coach, but give the guy some credit. He is a family man that hasn't traded his wife in for a younger model. He has three kids, and seems to be a devoted father. The guy probably is through at UCLA, but he is loaded and I hope the best for him in the future. The guy isn't perfect, but he seems to be a guy that tries to live his life in the right way.
????? I could be very wrong but I seem to remember reports of him having an affair with his secretary at Iowa. You like him and thats fine but I think he's a scum bag and I'm not alone.

Yes, very calculating, like most high level head coaches today. Agents, $$$, highly sought group of "winners" creates a brew of charlatans who are savvy about how to "win" and know how to play the "game." Many ADs wear blinders or are clueless.