Fran's got a great gig...

Care to place a wager on it? If it's so ridiculous, it should be easy money for you. How much of my money do you wish to take. Don't be shy. Be greedy.

It's ridiculous to say it won't happen. It would also be ridiculous to say it for sure will happen. I would say the odds are less than 50% that Fran will win a title here so I won't take an even money bet. But I would also bet that Iowa will not be able to find a coach that has much better odds. Maybe a little better. But not much.

It's ridiculous to say it won't happen. It would also be ridiculous to say it for sure will happen. I would say the odds are less than 50% that Fran will win a title here so I won't take an even money bet. But I would also bet that Iowa will not be able to find a coach that has much better odds. Maybe a little better. But not much.

How is it ridiculous to say it won't happen? If you made that bet that Iowa won't win the B1G, after the '79 season, you would have won that bet 39 years in a row. That is pretty much a sure thing bet. It is absolutely ridiculous to say it will happen, you would have lost that bet 39 years in a row since the '79 season

How is it ridiculous to say it won't happen? If you made that bet that Iowa won't win the B1G, after the '79 season, you would have won that bet 39 years in a row. That is pretty much a sure thing bet. It is absolutely ridiculous to say it will happen, you would have lost that bet 39 years in a row since the '79 season

You would have list that bet 3 times is all. It was a bet that a coach wouldn't win one while here. You would be 0-3 right now. Not 0-39.

You mean it would be hard to find a coach that knows fundamentals and can get a point guard at a P 5 school not named Nebby, Rutgers or NW?

Last edited:
what odds would put you in a betting mood?

You mean it would be hard to find a coach that knows fundamentals and can get a point guard at a P 5 school not named Nebby, Rutgers or NW?

That's all it takes to win a Big 10 Championship? I thought Davis was good at fundamentals and Woolridge was a good point guard?

Math problems?

Davis, Alford, and Lick. That's 3 coaches that have left without winning a title.

Also the post of Dean's you liked was pretty much knocking your theory that Iowa should get rid of a coach if he doesn't win a title. He is showing that Iowa never wins titles no matter what. At least I think that was his point.

what odds would put you in a betting mood?
I will bet 100 to win 250 if you want. I assume you love those odds right? I have one stipulation. The bet is off if Fran leaves Iowa before he coaches 5 more seasons after this one. Unless he gets fired for on the court results.

So if he does in 4 years, the bet is off. If he leaves for another job after 4 years, the bet is off. If he gets fired for things not related to results after 4 years, the bet is off. If any of those things happen after 5 years, the bet is on. If he gets fired after this season or any other season for poor results, the bet is on.

I would be willing to do this bet with someone I know. But I'm skeptical to do it with you because you probably wouldn't pay me. I'd have to do some thinking about it if you want to take the bet.

Davis, Alford, and Lick. That's 3 coaches that have left without winning a title.

Also the post of Dean's you liked was pretty much knocking your theory that Iowa should get rid of a coach if he doesn't win a title. He is showing that Iowa never wins titles no matter what. At least I think that was his point.
I think you forget George Raveling.

I will bet 100 to win 250 if you want. I assume you love those odds right? I have one stipulation. The bet is off if Fran leaves Iowa before he coaches 5 more seasons after this one. Unless he gets fired for on the court results.

So if he does in 4 years, the bet is off. If he leaves for another job after 4 years, the bet is off. If he gets fired for things not related to results after 4 years, the bet is off. If any of those things happen after 5 years, the bet is on. If he gets fired after this season or any other season for poor results, the bet is on.

I would be willing to do this bet with someone I know. But I'm skeptical to do it with you because you probably wouldn't pay me. I'd have to do some thinking about it if you want to take the bet.
No stipulations. Name the odds and let the record fall where it may.

No stipulations. Name the odds and let the record fall where it may.

I would do 100 to win 300 if I thought for a second you would pay me. I'd say there is about a 1 in 3 chance Fran ends up with a title. And Dean's post showed how good that is given Iowa's history. I think No Ryan being gone helps his chances a lot.

I think you forget George Raveling.

Too much goldfish for George

However, he did recruit perhaps the best class in Hawkeye history.....

BJ, Marble, Horton, Lohaus, and Kevin Gamble.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985–86_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_team

He also recruited The Vanilla Gorilla Al Lorenzen, Lohaus. Clarence Bill Jones, and Sir Jamalot.....!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984–85_Iowa_Hawkeyes_men's_basketball_team

6_384511.jpg

:cool:

I would do 100 to win 300 if I thought for a second you would pay me. I'd say there is about a 1 in 3 chance Fran ends up with a title. And Dean's post showed how good that is given Iowa's history. I think No Ryan being gone helps his chances a lot.
I'll give you 4 to 1 on the money. I honor my bets. You lose, you pay me $100. I lose, I pay you $400.

Fran has to win a Big 10 title before he's gone? I assume a tie counts?
Yep. A tie counts.
Trust me when I say this, if it costs me $400 to see a Big ten title in basketball, it's worth every penny! If a Genie popped out of a bottle and told me he'd deliver 1 for the price of $400, I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough!

(4) 2nd place finishes and (6) 3rd place finishes in that same 39 year time span. Odds are against it, sure. It is not ridiculous to say that Fran is capable of getting Iowa a B1G title.

Last edited:

Latest posts