Fran's got a great gig...

We're 1-4 in games decided by single digits this year. This team might be the worst team Fran has had in high pressure games.

So Fran didn't win many high pressure games in 4 years but you still think he can win the Big Ten? Haha!

Considering I think it's players that win under pressure and a team that couldn't win under pressure still almost won one, I'd say yes he can.

We were a dagger 3 late from Nigel Hayes and a dagger 3 late from Yogi Ferrel from winning one. Our new group of players look like they will be better than that team was, so I'm not sure how you think it's impossible to do the same thing as that team did, but have 2 opponents miss a shot.

Considering I think it's players that win under pressure and a team that couldn't win under pressure still almost won one, I'd say yes he can.

We were a dagger 3 late from Nigel Hayes and a dagger 3 late from Yogi Ferrel from winning one. Our new group of players look like they will be better than that team was, so I'm not sure how you think it's impossible to do the same thing as that team did, but have 2 opponents miss a shot.

How are you a big supporter of Fran when he hasn't won many high pressure games here?

How are you a big supporter of Fran when he hasn't won many high pressure games here?

Because like I said, players are the ones who have to be clutch. Fran didn't have an abnormally tough time winning close games before or after that class. Only while they were there. If those same players would have happened to be clutch, Fran would have one title for sure and possibly two. These players have a chance to be better than those players were, so I think there is a decent chance he will win one with them. If not in two years, maybe Wiescamp and Patrick can win one in 3 or 4 years.

Because like I said, players are the ones who have to be clutch. Fran didn't have an abnormally tough time winning close games before or after that class. Only while they were there. If those same players would have happened to be clutch, Fran would have one title for sure and possibly two. These players have a chance to be better than those players were, so I think there is a decent chance he will win one with them. If not in two years, maybe Wiescamp and Patrick can win one in 3 or 4 years.

Who recruited those players that weren't clutch?

Fran did and I don't blame him for a single one. They were all too good to not recruit. Gesell's career got a little sideways, to use Fran's word, but you had to recruit him.

What I can't understand is how you think Fran has been a good coach here when he's won so few high pressure games in 8 seasons.

I haven't quit on them or checked out. I still watch and follow every game and am going to two of the next three.
Well if you are done with Fran and think he is such a terrible coach that will never take us anywhere, I think as a “true” Iowa fan you should start by sending the athletic program a message by not attending these games. An empty arena doesn’t look good for anyone.

Of course this is all hypothetical because every single person who posts here knows you are not an Iowa fan nor will you be attending any of the games you claim.

Well if you are done with Fran and think he is such a terrible coach that will never take us anywhere, I think as a “true” Iowa fan you should start by sending the athletic program a message by not attending these games. An empty arena doesn’t look good for anyone.

Of course this is all hypothetical because every single person who posts here knows you are not an Iowa fan nor will you be attending any of the games you claim.

I'm not done with Fran and I don't think he is a terrible coach. It's a double edged sword with Fran because you know what you're going to get. He's never going to be the coach to take us to the next level but he's also not going to sink the program either. I wouldn't be opposed if we got a new coach but I also lived through the Lickliter years so I understand why some would be opposed to it. What I don't understand is how someone like @PCHawk can say Fran hasn't won high pressure games here but then talks about him being a successful coach here.

Fran has won a ton of high pressure games at Iowa. Too many to count. He's also lost his fair share too. Winning and losing, both big parts of sports.

I definitely think Fran can win a B1G basketball title. He came fairly close with his first cycle of recruits, a group he brought in after the dark ages of Iowa basketball. I get it, they stumbled out of the gate this season and missed the tournament last year by a game. It's open season now, but don't let it swing that hard. IMO, Iowa is still going to show this season the promise Iowa fans saw. It just didn't come out a work of art, it takes time and work. Most great teams all start somewhere and have to fail, miserably sometimes, before they work things out. It's no different at Iowa. I'm not saying this is a great team, but it certainly has a lot of the ingredients. The hole they dug is big. I am going to enjoy watching them dig themselves out. They know what's at stake and the razor thin margin for error. When the team started out like they did, it was open season on every player on the floor for HN posters. All were suddenly too slow, misses or Fran gafs. IMO, put a another decent G on this team and it's the difference from being what they have been to fringe top 25. The team has plenty of talent, that didn't change because they started off poorly. I actually have seen a lot of adjustment from the team over the last month - very encouraging adjustments that give me more hope for the rest of the season.

Fran has won a ton of high pressure games at Iowa. Too many to count. He's also lost his fair share too. Winning and losing, both big parts of sports.

I definitely think Fran can win a B1G basketball title. He came fairly close with his first cycle of recruits, a group he brought in after the dark ages of Iowa basketball. I get it, they stumbled out of the gate this season and missed the tournament last year by a game. It's open season now, but don't let it swing that hard. IMO, Iowa is still going to show this season the promise Iowa fans saw. It just didn't come out a work of art, it takes time and work. Most great teams all start somewhere and have to fail, miserably sometimes, before they work things out. It's no different at Iowa. I'm not saying this is a great team, but it certainly has a lot of the ingredients. The hole they dug is big. I am going to enjoy watching them dig themselves out. They know what's at stake and the razor thin margin for error. When the team started out like they did, it was open season on every player on the floor for HN posters. All were suddenly too slow, misses or Fran gafs. IMO, put a another decent G on this team and it's the difference from being what they have been to fringe top 25. The team has plenty of talent, that didn't change because they started off poorly. I actually have seen a lot of adjustment from the team over the last month - very encouraging adjustments that give me more hope for the rest of the season.

with you in lock-step. I've posted as much, previously. what i will admit to being guilty of, in hindsight, is minimizing Jok's importance last season and, subsequently, exaggerating the experience these guys got last season when Jok went down.

Latest posts