Fran's got a great gig...

technically, that would also be lute. he won B1G in '79 and coached through '83. before that was bucky o'conner. he coached 2 seasons after back-to-back B1G titles.

So it's really hard to get an elite coach and even harder to keep one.

So it's really hard to get an elite coach and even harder to keep one.

sure is and i'd argue that even Indiana and MSU have each only had 1 elite coach. WUs just had theirs retire, so we'll see how that pans out. UCLA only had 1 elite coach. UNC has had 1.5. Duke just 1.

sure is and i'd argue that even Indiana and MSU have each only had 1 elite coach. WUs just had theirs retire, so we'll see how that pans out. UCLA only had 1 elite coach. UNC has had 1.5. Duke just 1.

Isn't that crazy? When elite coaches stay in one spot so long, people get fooled into thinking it's the program that is elite. The Big programs will always have a advantage in bringing in elite coaches, but they need to have one to maintain that status. I'm curious what will happen to Duke when coach K retires? I already have a pretty good idea where Wisconsin is headed.

Isn't that crazy? When elite coaches stay in one spot so long, people get fooled into thinking it's the program that is elite. The Big programs will always have a advantage in bringing in elite coaches, but they need to have one to maintain that status. I'm curious what will happen to Duke when coach K retires? I already have a pretty good idea where Wisconsin is headed.

i think collins is in waiting; depending on how he winds up doing at jNW. I mean, that is a perfect trial run for Duke. I think Duke would want an alum and most of the former players/assistants have failed or been average as HC's. perhaps maybe Wojo at Marquette. but is there an "elite" coach waiting in the wings? i'd argue the current crop of up and coming coaches would be considered as "elite" in the making.

And you're spot on about how fans conflate the "programs success" with it being the result of the coach.

i think collins is in waiting; depending on how he winds up doing at jNW. I mean, that is a perfect trial run for Duke. I think Duke would want an alum and most of the former players/assistants have failed or been average as HC's. perhaps maybe Wojo at Marquette. but is there an "elite" coach waiting in the wings? i'd argue the current crop of up and coming coaches would be considered as "elite" in the making.

And you're spot on about how fans conflate the "programs success" with it being the result of the coach.

If there are no elite coaches available, they get a good one and drop down to the "good program" level. If that happens, it won't be long before they are just another program. A team like Michigan in football can find their way back to elite after a lull. What advantage does Duke have that makes anyone think they could get back?

If there are no elite coaches available, they get a good one and drop down to the "good program" level. If that happens, it won't be long before they are just another program. A team like Michigan in football can find their way back to elite after a lull. What advantage does Duke have that makes anyone think they could get back?

their name and the fact they're in a pretty desirable geographic area and a great education. 3 strong things.

their name and the fact they're in a pretty desirable geographic area and a great education. 3 strong things.

The great education can be a negative for a lot of the players if the standards to get in are too high. The name can fade over 10-20 years (just ask Nebraska). I honestly don't know how big basketball is in that area. Do they mostly recruit local kids? I didn't think they did.

Sorry, I didn't mean to direct that directly at you - some think it's time for Fran to go. I'll be in that camp as well if they miss this season. Next year will be NCAA or GTFO for me personally.
I would be terribly dissapointed but would give 2 years. But I do think its a waste oc time.

The great education can be a negative for a lot of the players if the standards to get in are too high. The name can fade over 10-20 years (just ask Nebraska). I honestly don't know how big basketball is in that area. Do they mostly recruit local kids? I didn't think they did.

I did ask kNebraska, they said they're still relevant. :)

Latest posts