Frans future

Every coach in the country including Fran can coach defense. He just can’t bring in players besides Clemmons who can play defense. He is trying to make ice cream out of doggy poo
Iowa recruits players who are "slow afoot" and they join a coaching staff for three-four years of instruction that doesn't care about nor know how to coach defense.

What you see is what you get. It isn't that complicated, actually.

Plus, when the refs are "cheating MFs" how can you win?

Iowa recruits players who are "slow afoot" and they join a coaching staff for three-four years of instruction that doesn't care about nor know how to coach defense.

What you see is what you get. It isn't that complicated, actually.

Plus, when the refs are "cheating MFs" how can you win?
Pretend I’m Sherman in practice telling Garza in practice he needs to slide his feet quicker to beat the opponent to a certain spot. The opponent in the next game easily beats Garza to that spot because of better athleticism. Does that make Sherman a bad coach because he actually coached up the player to make him better but the player didn’t have the athleticism to carry out the instructions? Or does this make it more of a recruiting issue?

Pretend I’m Sherman in practice telling Garza in practice he needs to slide his feet quicker to beat the opponent to a certain spot. The opponent in the next game easily beats Garza to that spot because of better athleticism. Does that make Sherman a bad coach because he actually coached up the player to make him better but the player didn’t have the athleticism to carry out the instructions? Or does this make it more of a recruiting issue?
Both issues are problems. What I see when I watch Iowa is a team that doesn't play very sound fundamental BB on many levels: boxing out, helping out, etc. Add this to a lack of athleticism and a head coach who doesn't think much of defensive ball and what you have is what you have.

A remedy is to coach a team to be filled with heart, and fundamental soundness, who absolutely loves to play defense, and who is tough to play against. Iowa is not such a team.

Everyone wants a 5'10'' point guard?

No, everyone wants a point guard they don't have. Right now they want a quick penetrator (that's what she said) who can play defense. As soon as he comes in they will want a tall point guard who can shoot. The definition of a true point guard on Hawkeye Nation is a point guard that excels at the things the current one doesn't.

There are posts on here that say Fran is a horrible coach and a horrible recruiter. How can he be both and still have average results? If you are horrible at one and good st the other you can have average results. If you're horrible at both, you have horrible results.

Both issues are problems. What I see when I watch Iowa is a team that doesn't play very sound fundamental BB on many levels: boxing out, helping out, etc. Add this to a lack of athleticism and a head coach who doesn't think much of defensive ball and what you have is what you have.

A remedy is to coach a team to be filled with heart, and fundamental soundness, who absolutely loves to play defense, and who is tough to play against. Iowa is not such a team.
I do have issues with Fran when I see players not boxing out and they are not being sat on the bench . Cook , Garza and Baer I see all the time just turn and look to the basket . I don’t think I’ve seen cmac put a body on a defender out on the perimeter all season and he is the friggin coaches kid

People using the football analogy with Fran is about the stupid shit I read. The comparison is WEAK.. I wish Iowa Basketball had the heart that our Football team displays. That’s a fact. Plus if you really compared what Football has done under KF and could apply that to Basketball IMO it would be getting to the dance most every year and years we would get to the sweet 16 or Elite 8. So keep making stupid comparisons that are true.

I agree that over the last 20 years football has been better.
But still, let's do the math

Most years 8-5. Let's extrapolate.

8-5 = 16-10 = 24-15

Basketball today:
22-11
probably will finish 22-12 or 23-12, slight possibility of 24-12

The numbers are pretty close. Kirk has the edge because he has had some incredible years and is perceived as more likeable. His tendency to lose to weaker programs is his achilles heal

There are posts on here that say Fran is a horrible coach and a horrible recruiter. How can he be both and still have average results? If you are horrible at one and good st the other you can have average results. If you're horrible at both, you have horrible results.
Bingo . He can coach just can’t recruit.

Bingo . He can coach just can’t recruit.

I'm more in the camp that he is an average coach and a slightly above average recruiter who has average results up to this point due to the program he had to recruit to. From here on out I think he will have slightly above average results with occasional good year.

I'm more in the camp that he is an average coach and a slightly above average recruiter who has average results up to this point due to the program he had to recruit to. From here on out I think he will have slightly above average results with occasional good year.
Above average temper

What a lot of you are afraid of considering is why Iowa has these long term contracts for mediocre performance by coaches where the AD makes much less than the coaches. With all the corruption coming out about illegal admissions, what about the contracts could possibly make sense?

Fair question.

Maybe he's an average recruiter? Iowa does have some pretty decent players. But as many have mentioned, they're not athletic players.

Also could it be he's a very good offensive coach and a very bad defensive coach? Would they kind of cancel each other out and put you in the average results range?

Like Kirk, his recruiting has gotten better since 2015. And the results are starting to show in both sports. But there is a ceiling in both sports and that's where many of the arguments originate.

Iowa has 15 wins against teams ranked 136 and above in the RPI and fortunately hit 3 buzzer beaters Against the bottom teams in the Big Ten. Iowa has only 3 quality wins all season and up until this weekend had only 2 until Oregon turned it around. Iowa also I think has the worst SOS of any the Big Ten Teams.

The problem is/isn't Fran. I think Fran is a good coach, I think he does a good job of recruiting players that fit his system. I think his system is a horrible fit for the way the Big Ten officiates basketball games. I said earlier in the year when they had success ooc that it would keep up if the B10 actually called fouls. In this league they let the kids play under the rim all day. It's sad and it honestly makes a lot of the games unwatchable.

Now you can say it's Frans fault and he should go because he hasn't adapted at all. But he'd have 4-5 more wins this season in any other major league, not because of the talent but because the officiating would favor the style of basketball he coaches.

Was it 2 years ago when they said they'd change the way they called fouls? That lasted half a season. And it's not just not getting to the line or getting in your head for a game, it's getting beat up to the point where you can't finish out the season and having your coach ranting about officials cheating giving you an excuse to quit ,consciously or not.

The B10 has always had an identity in both football and basketball. Doesn't matter if I like it or hate it, it is what it is.

You lost me when you said Fran recruits players that "fit his system". Fran wants to go up tempo, but you need an athletic team to do that. We don't have an athletic team. In fact, name a power conference team that is LESS athletic than we are. Outside of Cook, and maybe Moss... Yikes.

It's all academic. Fran's future is at Iowa, unless his temper gets the best of him and he jacks some ref during a game. He's not going anywhere. Bring in better players and Iowa will be better. Fran is a good enough coach that if he had better players, Iowa would be more successful.

KF's teams go on the road an it isn't a shit show? Do you watch Iowa Football? Purdue game? PSU game? thats just this year. Both programs are irrelevant, period. KF has been here 20 years, Fran 9 years. Look at where both programs are. Average conference records. Neither coach would have a job at any other Power 5 school.

KF's teams go on the road and it isn't a shit show? No, it's not. Let me ask you a question...the comparison I made was blowouts and being outclassed. In the two games you reference, were we blown out and had no chance to win? At Penn State, it took the worst game by an Iowa quarterback since the days of Jake Christenson throwing darts into the turf 5 feet in front of his receivers, to keep us from winning. At Purdue, Phil Parker got outcoached for the first time in a long time...and we still could have won that game minus some questionable officiating. Neither were blowouts...and we were clearly not outclassed in either contest.

Let's look at Fran's best tourney teams so far...Gonzaga flossed their teeth with that team. Villanova pistol whipped us. I'm just saying, I've not seen Fran's teams, when the chips on are the table, play a complete game and mentally battle a good team at tourney time down to the wire. We can beat up on Davidson, or another low seed, but where have we taken a higher seed to task under Fran?

I am hopeful we can be at least AS GOOD next year, as this year, regardless if Cook/Moss leave. Plz cut Fran some slack and see what happens next year. Got us to the tourney. He deserves at least that. Overall, I think we overachieved this year. Last year we underachieved.

How many of you "fire Fran" posters were expecting a 22-11 season this year?

I was hoping for an NIT bid after last years disaster. Lickliter should have shown you how close Iowa is to being in the dump, evidently those memories must be fading. I didn't like the losing streak at the end and it was embarrassing how bad they lost last night but overall I'm still happy with how this season went. Give Fran a chance, you really don't have much choice as he's not going anywhere.

Latest posts