Frans future

Joe seems to have some of the things this team is missing but still if we lose Cook and Moss, we are heading in the wrong direction in my opinion. He’s not enough with the loss of 2 potential 4 year starters.

Still somehow hope we can retain these guys with the addition of Joe and then compound the momentum of the program to a better recruiting class.

The problem is/isn't Fran. I think Fran is a good coach, I think he does a good job of recruiting players that fit his system. I think his system is a horrible fit for the way the Big Ten officiates basketball games. I said earlier in the year when they had success ooc that it would keep up if the B10 actually called fouls. In this league they let the kids play under the rim all day. It's sad and it honestly makes a lot of the games unwatchable.

Now you can say it's Frans fault and he should go because he hasn't adapted at all. But he'd have 4-5 more wins this season in any other major league, not because of the talent but because the officiating would favor the style of basketball he coaches.

Was it 2 years ago when they said they'd change the way they called fouls? That lasted half a season. And it's not just not getting to the line or getting in your head for a game, it's getting beat up to the point where you can't finish out the season and having your coach ranting about officials cheating giving you an excuse to quit ,consciously or not.

The B10 has always had an identity in both football and basketball. Doesn't matter if I like it or hate it, it is what it is.
Those disgraceful motherfuckers! :mad:

The problem is/isn't Fran. I think Fran is a good coach, I think he does a good job of recruiting players that fit his system. I think his system is a horrible fit for the way the Big Ten officiates basketball games. I said earlier in the year when they had success ooc that it would keep up if the B10 actually called fouls. In this league they let the kids play under the rim all day. It's sad and it honestly makes a lot of the games unwatchable.

Now you can say it's Frans fault and he should go because he hasn't adapted at all. But he'd have 4-5 more wins this season in any other major league, not because of the talent but because the officiating would favor the style of basketball he coaches.

Was it 2 years ago when they said they'd change the way they called fouls? That lasted half a season. And it's not just not getting to the line or getting in your head for a game, it's getting beat up to the point where you can't finish out the season and having your coach ranting about officials cheating giving you an excuse to quit ,consciously or not.

The B10 has always had an identity in both football and basketball. Doesn't matter if I like it or hate it, it is what it is.

Reading crap like this honestly makes me want to puke. Give me a damn break!!! LMAO!!

Question have you watched any other major Conferences Tournament games? Hate to break it to you but the reality is that how major conference basketball is PLAYED it’s physical and it’s just not the Big 10 that is playing that way, Maybe Fran hasn’t adapted because he a Mid Major coach. :cool:

Wisconsin recruits and plays to excel with the "officiating" of the conference. Iowa, glued in, immovable in the FB and BB programs. Fran will be around a long, long time, he is average, the perfect fit for Iowa.

Fran's Future with Iowa:

PZ7.jpg

I hereby ban you to the Phantom Zone for not being able to recruit a point guard, coach defensive fundamentals, the end of the year Fran Fade, and having assistant coaches who know how to dress better than coach a basketball game.

Last edited:
Here's the thing...Fran's teams tend to be egg layers. I'm not sure how else to describe it. When you think, hey this team has it going and is going to be in every game because they share the ball and have too many shooters to defend. You are absolutely convinced they will score with anyone night in and night out.

Then you go to Michigan State, embarrassing blowout...go to Purdue...embarrassing blowout...at home against Rutgers...embarrassing blowout....at Ohio State...embarrassing blowout...B10 tourney...embarrassing blowout.

This team is so inconsistent defensively...and undisciplined. To me, and I've said this before, we need a proven defensive coach on the staff. The results don't lie. Sure we are better, but I think the improvement is because we are older...not strategically or cohesively. The Michigan huddle peek in was telling...did you hear the Michigan assistant talking defensive Xs and Os? Beilein hired him three years ago to run defense only. Michigan is the most improved defensive team in the country over the past three years...look it up prior to his arrival. Fran needs to find a guy like that.

Lastly, say what you will about Kirk Ferentz...but in the B10, his teams play and are fundamentally sound. You can complain about the offensive game planning or conservatism...but the blowouts or being outclassed are few and far between. His team goes on the road and it's not going to be a shit show. Fran, well, flip a coin.

Good stuff!

Wisconsin recruits and plays to excel with the "officiating" of the conference. Iowa, glued in, immovable in the FB and BB programs. Fran will be around a long, long time, he is average, the perfect fit for Iowa.

People using the football analogy with Fran is about the stupid shit I read. The comparison is WEAK.. I wish Iowa Basketball had the heart that our Football team displays. That’s a fact. Plus if you really compared what Football has done under KF and could apply that to Basketball IMO it would be getting to the dance most every year and years we would get to the sweet 16 or Elite 8. So keep making stupid comparisons that are true.

People using the football analogy with Fran is about the stupid shit I read. The comparison is WEAK.. I wish Iowa Basketball had the heart that our Football team displays. That’s a fact. Plus if you really compared what Football has done under KF and could apply that to Basketball IMO it would be getting to the dance most every year and years we would get to the sweet 16 or Elite 8. So keep making stupid comparisons that are true.
Thanks for telling me what to post. And using the word stupid twice.

LOL. Nice spin. Fran can't recruit talent, or athletic players, and Fran can't coach, period. 9 years here, and what has he done? Nothing. Our athletic director is a moron.

Thanks for telling me what to post. And using the word stupid twice.

Oh are you the sensitive type that struggles with posters disagreeing with what you post on internet sports message board. Ok. Duly noted. I will remember that in the future :cool:

Oh are you the sensitive type that struggles with posters disagreeing with what you post on internet sports message board. Ok. Duly noted. I will remember that in the future :cool:
No I am not, just wanted to make you aware that a message is more intelligent when words like stupid aren't used several times.

Here's the thing...Fran's teams tend to be egg layers. I'm not sure how else to describe it. When you think, hey this team has it going and is going to be in every game because they share the ball and have too many shooters to defend. You are absolutely convinced they will score with anyone night in and night out.

Then you go to Michigan State, embarrassing blowout...go to Purdue...embarrassing blowout...at home against Rutgers...embarrassing blowout....at Ohio State...embarrassing blowout...B10 tourney...embarrassing blowout.

This team is so inconsistent defensively...and undisciplined. To me, and I've said this before, we need a proven defensive coach on the staff. The results don't lie. Sure we are better, but I think the improvement is because we are older...not strategically or cohesively. The Michigan huddle peek in was telling...did you hear the Michigan assistant talking defensive Xs and Os? Beilein hired him three years ago to run defense only. Michigan is the most improved defensive team in the country over the past three years...look it up prior to his arrival. Fran needs to find a guy like that.

Lastly, say what you will about Kirk Ferentz...but in the B10, his teams play and are fundamentally sound. You can complain about the offensive game planning or conservatism...but the blowouts or being outclassed are few and far between. His team goes on the road and it's not going to be a shit show. Fran, well, flip a coin.
KF's teams go on the road an it isn't a shit show? Do you watch Iowa Football? Purdue game? PSU game? thats just this year. Both programs are irrelevant, period. KF has been here 20 years, Fran 9 years. Look at where both programs are. Average conference records. Neither coach would have a job at any other Power 5 school.

You pretty much nailed it. Fran doesn't coach defense. Until he hires an assistant who can, it won't matter who they recruit at PG or any other position or how quick they are or athletic they are.

It won't matter if you give Fran a bunch of talented pro prospects. He still won't win the conference and will eventually flounder in the NCAA tournament.

There is a reason marginally talented (and less talented teams) like Wisconsin or somewhat talented teams like West Virginia are tough outs every year. Its the same reason more talented teams like Michigan St are always Final 4 threats. They play defense as if their lives depend on it.

lol...another loss and another fire Fran thread...jeez, it's like clock work. Even if Fran was fired and they brought in someone new it would be the same ole from many of you on here.

KF's teams go on the road an it isn't a shit show? Do you watch Iowa Football? Purdue game? PSU game? thats just this year. Both programs are irrelevant, period. KF has been here 20 years, Fran 9 years. Look at where both programs are. Average conference records. Neither coach would have a job at any other Power 5 school.

I watch them all and it isn’t a shit show like a Basketball shit show? Do you watch Iowa Football? Are you trying to say that Iowa Football on the road in the Big Ten is a shit show?? Keep it coming I be here all day.. :cool:

You pretty much nailed it. Fran doesn't coach defense. Until he hires an assistant who can, it won't matter who they recruit at PG or any other position or how quick they are or athletic they are.

It won't matter if you give Fran a bunch of talented pro prospects. He still won't win the conference and will eventually flounder in the NCAA tournament.

There is a reason marginally talented (and less talented teams) like Wisconsin or somewhat talented teams like West Virginia are tough outs every year. Its the same reason more talented teams like Michigan St are always Final 4 threats. They play defense as if their lives depend on it.
Every coach in the country including Fran can coach defense. He just can’t bring in players besides Clemmons who can play defense. He is trying to make ice cream out of doggy poo

lol...another loss and another fire Fran thread...jeez, it's like clock work. Even if Fran was fired and they brought in someone new it would be the same ole from many of you on here.
KF and Fran have been given very long leashes to be average, creates some nice longevity stats, but not many championships or signature wins.