Frans future

ibahawkeye

We’re heading to the tourney which I think for most exceeded expectations coming into the season. But I still don’t think overall Fran has the support of the fan base.

I feel like the programs future is really looming on Cook and Moss staying. If somehow we can keep these 2 guys and hopefully and even better season next year and have the program on a better foundation than just up and and down and hopefully impact the next recruiting class, it will really determine Frans future.

I like Toussaint and Patrick but if we lose Cook and/or Moss, I don’t feel great about the roster.

I guess what I’m saying is that if Fran can somehow get Tyler and Moss to stay I’d feel much better about next year as well as the ability to continue recruiting as the program will be on an upward swing.

On the opposite end if we lose Cook or Moss I feel like we’ll take a step backwards and unless Fran can bring in some top talent, I feel like momentum and recruiting is heading in the wrong direction.

We’re heading to the tourney which I think for most exceeded expectations coming into the season. But I still don’t think overall Fran has the support of the fan base.

I feel like the programs future is really looming on Cook and Moss staying. If somehow we can keep these 2 guys and hopefully and even better season next year and have the program on a better foundation than just up and and down and hopefully impact the next recruiting class, it will really determine Frans future.

I like Toussaint and Patrick but if we lose Cook and/or Moss, I don’t feel great about the roster.

I guess what I’m saying is that if Fran can somehow get Tyler and Moss to stay I’d feel much better about next year as well as the ability to continue recruiting as the program will be on an upward swing.

On the opposite end if we lose Cook or Moss I feel like we’ll take a step backwards and unless Fran can bring in some top talent, I feel like momentum and recruiting is heading in the wrong direction.

I think we finally got the point guard everyone wants which is a huge step in the right direction. The problem is, guys who can get in the lane and play good defense aren't necessarily good all around players. We will see if he is an upgrade over what we have now. If he is, and Patrick is as good as his ranking suggests, we are in for a pretty good next 3 years. If he is Tre Dickerson and Patrick is over rated, we are in for 3 years of bubble type teams.

I think we finally got the point guard everyone wants which is a huge step in the right direction. The problem is, guys who can get in the lane and play good defense aren't necessarily good all around players. We will see if he is an upgrade over what we have now. If he is, and Patrick is as good as his ranking suggests, we are in for a pretty good next 3 years. If he is Tre Dickerson and Patrick is over rated, we are in for 3 years of bubble type teams.

Heads up. PMs shot is worse than CMs.

The problem is/isn't Fran. I think Fran is a good coach, I think he does a good job of recruiting players that fit his system. I think his system is a horrible fit for the way the Big Ten officiates basketball games. I said earlier in the year when they had success ooc that it would keep up if the B10 actually called fouls. In this league they let the kids play under the rim all day. It's sad and it honestly makes a lot of the games unwatchable.

Now you can say it's Frans fault and he should go because he hasn't adapted at all. But he'd have 4-5 more wins this season in any other major league, not because of the talent but because the officiating would favor the style of basketball he coaches.

Was it 2 years ago when they said they'd change the way they called fouls? That lasted half a season. And it's not just not getting to the line or getting in your head for a game, it's getting beat up to the point where you can't finish out the season and having your coach ranting about officials cheating giving you an excuse to quit ,consciously or not.

The B10 has always had an identity in both football and basketball. Doesn't matter if I like it or hate it, it is what it is.

The problem is/isn't Fran. I think Fran is a good coach, I think he does a good job of recruiting players that fit his system. I think his system is a horrible fit for the way the Big Ten officiates basketball games. I said earlier in the year when they had success ooc that it would keep up if the B10 actually called fouls. In this league they let the kids play under the rim all day. It's sad and it honestly makes a lot of the games unwatchable.

Now you can say it's Frans fault and he should go because he hasn't adapted at all. But he'd have 4-5 more wins this season in any other major league, not because of the talent but because the officiating would favor the style of basketball he coaches.

Was it 2 years ago when they said they'd change the way they called fouls? That lasted half a season. And it's not just not getting to the line or getting in your head for a game, it's getting beat up to the point where you can't finish out the season and having your coach ranting about officials cheating giving you an excuse to quit ,consciously or not.

The B10 has always had an identity in both football and basketball. Doesn't matter if I like it or hate it, it is what it is.

Ya um okay. This is why Franny can't coach. Holy shit this is some spin.

If Nunge happens to be the real deal I think we can absorb losing Cook. So I guess that puts a huge deal of pressure on Nunge if Cook goes. Moss is probably average at best, but right now average at best is about what we have in the backcourt.

As far as recruiting and the state of the program, the 2020 class is huge for Fran. Obviously an instate 5* in XF is priority number one, but Fran is also in on a handful of 4* level talent. The problem is we’ve been in on those types of kids before and came up short most times. I do think Joe T is a step in the right direction, and should be able to provide some things we’ve been missing.

Where is there any talk of Moss leaving?? On paper, Cook impact's on this team should be huge, but in quite a few games this year that just didn't happen. Someone will have take over his scoring and free throw attempts but I think this team can adjust without him.

I just hope Garza can improve on defense. With him out there it likes going 5 on 4 at times.

Tousaint should help out alot. P Mac??? to skinny! He needs to redshirt but will not. I don't see him helping much at all. Pemsl will add a physical presence while Nunge will add scoring/rebounding. Frederick, who knows. He was Kentucky's Mr basketball so he had to have some talent. Cook, if he leaves, will be missed. When he is energized, he is a plus. Moss will not be missed. Baer will be. His senior leadership, scoring, defense were all there for everyone to see. Overall I expect the Hawks to be better next year!

Where is there any talk of Moss leaving?? On paper, Cook impact's on this team should be huge, but in quite a few games this year that just didn't happen. Someone will have take over his scoring and free throw attempts but I think this team can adjust without him.

I just hope Garza can improve on defense. With him out there it likes going 5 on 4 at times.
Two very good points. Sure we might lose a little bit of offense if Cook goes, but Iowa’s offense will still be very good next year. Personally I’m hoping Nunge is a huge improvement on defense if Cook does go.

Garza is simply a liability on defense I don’t think that’s going to change too much, but hopefully he can get a little better as you say.

I saw Nunge during warmups last night. He’s tall, like really tall. They were saying he’s up to 7 feet now, I’d buy it after seeing him last night.

Two very good points. Sure we might lose a little bit of offense if Cook goes, but Iowa’s offense will still be very good next year. Personally I’m hoping Nunge is a huge improvement on defense if Cook does go.

Garza is simply a liability on defense I don’t think that’s going to change too much, but hopefully he can get a little better as you say.
Not to mention Garza only got 4 rebounds in 24 minutes against Michigan . He is a terrible defender and a terrible rebounder against athletic players

Tousaint should help out alot. P Mac??? to skinny! He needs to redshirt but will not. I don't see him helping much at all. Pemsl will add a physical presence while Nunge will add scoring/rebounding. Frederick, who knows. He was Kentucky's Mr basketball so he had to have some talent. Cook, if he leaves, will be missed. When he is energized, he is a plus. Moss will not be missed. Baer will be. His senior leadership, scoring, defense were all there for everyone to see. Overall I expect the Hawks to be better next year!

Haven’t seen Tousaint play a single second of Big Ten basketball. He is also 5’10” so I would not get hopes up on him. Scott Doc of the Athletic even said he wouldn’t expect much more than 10 minutes a game for him as he is a project. Fans want a game changing PG so badly they are expecting unrealistic things from him.

Expecting the Hawks to be better next year feels like a broken record. At this point, they’ll be around 20 wins, collapse in February, quick out in BTT, and a 7-10 seed first weekend out in NCAA Tournament. That would be “tremendous” right!?

Haven’t seen Tousaint play a single second of Big Ten basketball. He is also 5’10” so I would not get hopes up on him. Scott Doc of the Athletic even said he wouldn’t expect much more than 10 minutes a game for him as he is a project. Fans want a game changing PG so badly they are expecting unrealistic things from him.

Expecting the Hawks to be better next year feels like a broken record. At this point, they’ll be around 20 wins, collapse in February, quick out in BTT, and a 7-10 seed first weekend out in NCAA Tournament. That would be “tremendous” right!?
I hope that’s incorrect. If guards are a “project” that simply means they aren’t very good. For the most part as a guard you either have it or you don’t.

Iowa is willing to accept slightly above mediocre so Fran is very safe. Make the tournament every 3 years and he can stay as long as he wants as long as Barta is around.

I hope that’s incorrect. If guards are a “project” that simply means they aren’t very good. For the most part as a guard you either have it or you don’t.

Time to move on from Fran. I realize it's a lot of money to buy him out because of Barta's stupidity but Iowa needs to bite the bullet. I wonder, after Frans language in his last fit maybe Iowa could use the moral clause in his contract to oust him.

Here's the thing...Fran's teams tend to be egg layers. I'm not sure how else to describe it. When you think, hey this team has it going and is going to be in every game because they share the ball and have too many shooters to defend. You are absolutely convinced they will score with anyone night in and night out.

Then you go to Michigan State, embarrassing blowout...go to Purdue...embarrassing blowout...at home against Rutgers...embarrassing blowout....at Ohio State...embarrassing blowout...B10 tourney...embarrassing blowout.

This team is so inconsistent defensively...and undisciplined. To me, and I've said this before, we need a proven defensive coach on the staff. The results don't lie. Sure we are better, but I think the improvement is because we are older...not strategically or cohesively. The Michigan huddle peek in was telling...did you hear the Michigan assistant talking defensive Xs and Os? Beilein hired him three years ago to run defense only. Michigan is the most improved defensive team in the country over the past three years...look it up prior to his arrival. Fran needs to find a guy like that.

Lastly, say what you will about Kirk Ferentz...but in the B10, his teams play and are fundamentally sound. You can complain about the offensive game planning or conservatism...but the blowouts or being outclassed are few and far between. His team goes on the road and it's not going to be a shit show. Fran, well, flip a coin.

Latest posts