Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

Not even close. When Fran walks out of a restroom with soiled toilet paper and uses it as a metaphor for how his team is practicing.......you come get me.

If you are splitting hairs between an F at 50 percent orvan F ar 20 percent, then you are right. All fails are not equal. He does rival the chairs.

Not even close. When Fran walks out of a restroom with soiled toilet paper and uses it as a metaphor for how his team is practicing.......you come get me.

Ok? If that makes you feel better. Larry was an asshole as well, but he won.

Season On The Brink was an outstanding book, one of the first sports biographies I ever bought, but a horrible ESPN movie. Brian Dennehy, playing coach Knight, comes across more often than not as a mere curmudgeon, no more threatening than manager Lew Brown in the Major League movies. Knight's explosions were not sardonic, let alone avuncular in nature. They peeled paint of walls. And frightened the bejeesus out of grown adult professionals. No way could he coach today. His mere arrogance and passive agressivness would be intolerable in most circles. Let alone the temper. And he couldn't spend his springs and summers golfing and fishing. There is this thing called AAU ball going on today. And coaches watch the tournaments.

Last edited:
I wonder why, with two "possible" NBA level players considering the draft...Iowa netted 14 wins...

That seems odd...
why the “ “ ?
Do you think they are or are they not?

Fran has been taken to task for his lack of PG recruiting, but I wonder if the basic problem is this...neither he nor his staff are very adept at coaching, game time, or fundamental coaching.
why the doubt? Can he and his staff coach or not? Man up and take a stand rather than throw doubt around and pretend there is intelligence about it.

OK, you carry the bigger stick. You win. There was nothing wrong with my points. I'm actually pretty balanced. You don't have to be a jerk about it.
LLLLOL—nope
Now you’re trying to be funny; ain’t working.

LLLOL!
Truth is truth — at this or any level.

Truth or Not it's a lose lose for any coach to call out any fans. Why 99.9% of them don't do it.. I think it says lots about the type of coach we have, which has obviously trickled down to the players. I'm very curious if Iowa and coaches sit around in the locker room and gossip or read all the negative tweets together. :cool::cool:

Truth or Not it's a lose lose for any coach to call out any fans. Why 99.9% of them don't do it.. I think it says lots about the type of coach we have, which has obviously trickled down to the players. I'm very curious if Iowa and coaches sit around in the locker room and gossip or read all the negative tweets together. :cool::cool:

I haven't listened to the podcast as I've had a rather full day but maybe will tomorrow. I like the idea of standing up for his players and felt that Woodbury especially in that group fans never quite grasped his value to the team. That said I tend to agree with the comments that calling out the fans gives a bad look. It screams lack of mental toughness which seems pervasive in this program from the head coach on down. I for one don't see those comments as black and white.

I wonder why, with two "possible" NBA level players considering the draft...Iowa netted 14 wins...

That seems odd...

Fran has been taken to task for his lack of PG recruiting, but I wonder if the basic problem is this...neither he nor his staff are very adept at coaching, game time, or fundamental coaching.
Neither one is even close to “possible” NBA. Uthoff would eat Cook for breakfast and even he can’t make a roster.

People underestimate how insanely hard it is to make the NBA. Between the, NCAA, G-League, and Europe, you have probably 10,000 players wanting one of 450 roster spots. The NFL has four times the amount of players with less college teams and no developmental league.

I like Cook and want him to stay, but that guy will never see an NBA floor. Europe or G-League maybe.

It is understood that members of this board should not, for good reason, call others "idiots" and "morons"...but it is OK for Fran to use such words when referring to upset fans who aren't "thankful enough"...hmmm...

I wonder if Fran is aware that this board and people in general tend to be unappreciative, negative, critical, etc. when the team and his coaching appear to be less than competent and, quite simply, pathetic.

Cook and Moss have made the choice to be "considered" for the NBA draft. I made no judgement about whether they will make it or not. I don't know. My guess would be that Cook will at sometime be in the NBA. He has a ton of athletic ability and with hard work and competent coaching I would not be surprised to see him "make it." Never is a big word...

Fran needs to pick up his game...focus on improving himself and on improving the fundamentals of the team and its players...he needs to be a mature, competent, professional...the team will do better and he won't be so frustrated with all the "bad" fans out there.

Season On The Brink was an outstanding book, one of the first sports biographies I ever bought, but a horrible ESPN movie. Brian Dennehy, playing coach Knight, comes across more often than not as a mere curmudgeon, no more threatening than manager Lew Brown in the Major League movies. Knight's explosions were not sardonic, let alone avuncular in nature. They peeled paint of walls. And frightened the bejeesus out of grown adult professionals. No way could he coach today. His mere arrogance and passive agressivness would be intolerable in most circles. Let alone the temper. And he couldn't spend his springs and summers golfing and fishing. There is this thing called AAU ball going on today. And coaches watch the tournaments.

People forget how big Bobby Knight is. His physical stature alone was intimidating. John Thompson didn’t have the temper and the other theatrics that Knight had, but he was another one that was a big guy. He was so imposing and intimidating because he stood over most people.

LLLLOL—nope
Now you’re trying to be funny; ain’t working.

No, actually I wasn't. You hold the award for back handed "cuteness". This guy looks like me so I'll make your day.
zarZe_s-200x150.gif

I listened to about half of the POD cast and heard Fran call some of our fans "morons"...as much as it isn't politically correct to call a subsection of the fanbase morons, he's right and I don't have a problem with it. There's a certain group of people who will find something to complain about in everything...and whose expectations for EVERYTHING are unattainable.

The issue I had with the discussion was around defense and the fact that he mentioned the inconsistency, missed assignments, etc...and the desire. Well Fran, you should have pointed the finger back at you. If you can't get guys to play defense...don't play them. Sit Bohannon, sit the guy making the mistakes until they decide they are going to play with a better attitude and hustle on defense. What, were you afraid to lose 15 games in B10 season? The minute you accept mediocrity and give into it...you lose. I couldn't believe he said that. Shocked. People piss and moan about Kirk Ferentz...but I've NEVER said his players don't give 100%. His teams may get beat by more talented teams or because their offensive gameplan sucked, but they don't lose because the players aren't focused and giving everything they have. Lessoned learned...McCaffery < Ferentz.

Neither one is even close
I listened to about half of the POD cast and heard Fran call some of our fans "morons"...as much as it isn't politically correct to call a subsection of the fanbase morons, he's right and I don't have a problem with it. There's a certain group of people who will find something to complain about in everything...and whose expectations for EVERYTHING are unattainable.

The issue I had with the discussion was around defense and the fact that he mentioned the inconsistency, missed assignments, etc...and the desire. Well Fran, you should have pointed the finger back at you. If you can't get guys to play defense...don't play them. Sit Bohannon, sit the guy making the mistakes until they decide they are going to play with a better attitude and hustle on defense. What, were you afraid to lose 15 games in B10 season? The minute you accept mediocrity and give into it...you lose. I couldn't believe he said that. Shocked. People piss and moan about Kirk Ferentz...but I've NEVER said his players don't give 100%. His teams may get beat by more talented teams or because their offensive gameplan sucked, but they don't lose because the players aren't focused and giving everything they have. Lessoned learned...McCaffery < Ferentz.
Some valid points here. I would like to point out one example to the contrary if for no other reason than I saw it in person. The February Indiana game. While a near capacity Saturday afternoon crowd brave an untimely blizzard and traffic backups on three interstates, Isiah Moss apparently decided he had better things to do than defend Johnson or hit the floor for a loose ball. I could clearly hear Fran yelling from Section FF row 31. Moss was done for the day. Dailey didn't do much better. Fran resorted to Ellenson and I'm sure he entertained the idea of putting Dom in, if not Riley Till.

I just wanted to bring up that one example because I saw it. Too many other times, your premise was supported. The one question, was 2018 an aberration or a trend, will be answered before our eyes in 2019.

It is understood that members of this board should not, for good reason, call others "idiots" and "morons"...but it is OK for Fran to use such words when referring to upset fans who aren't "thankful enough"...hmmm...
Rules are for proles like us, not people with $10 million buyouts.

Some valid points here. I would like to point out one example to the contrary if for no other reason than I saw it in person. The February Indiana game. While a near capacity Saturday afternoon crowd brave an untimely blizzard and traffic backups on three interstates, Isiah Moss apparently decided he had better things to do than defend Johnson or hit the floor for a loose ball. I could clearly hear Fran yelling from Section FF row 31. Moss was done for the day. Dailey didn't do much better. Fran resorted to Ellenson and I'm sure he entertained the idea of putting Dom in, if not Riley Till.

I just wanted to bring up that one example because I saw it. Too many other times, your premise was supported. The one question, was 2018 an aberration or a trend, will be answered before our eyes in 2019.

At the risk of being called "Phil", what could be missing is the "Freeze, Fight, Flight" response in this. OK for those to disagree, but there could be a lot come out about Fran when his tenure is finished. Maybe I"m way off base. No way a D1 Big player doesn't hustle unless he's on medications, totally selfish, or abused. The face value of this doesn't make sense. Abusers always blame others. Always.

Latest posts