Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

Calling a small group of fans morons at this level still shows mental weakness. Guess this current team learns from the poor example!! This entire Basketball Program from top to bottom appears it’s in need of some Therapy sessions..

Exactly. Despite last season he coaches at a P5 program and has been successful there which means he’s elite for his profession. Most coaches will never come close to the success he has achieved. Same as his players. They have full rides, they are elite among their peers.

The fact that he and his players address what fans have said shows how mentally weak they all are.

At the risk of being called "Phil", what could be missing is the "Freeze, Fight, Flight" response in this. OK for those to disagree, but there could be a lot come out about Fran when his tenure is finished. Maybe I"m way off base. No way a D1 Big player doesn't hustle unless he's on medications, totally selfish, or abused. The face value of this doesn't make sense. Abusers always blame others. Always.
Of those three options, I'll vouch for #2. The primadonma effect has destroyed many a talented team at all levels of team sports. You would have to have a long pattern of documented examples from those on the inside to suggest. #3. Moss came from the south side of Chicago. I'm sure he's seen some things. Fran couldn't possibly throw things at him that he hasn't seen many times over.

I don't have an issue with Fran having his players' backs. As someone else pointed out in the thread, I'd take that any day over Alford's approach. I get the strong impression that Fran's players appreciate him and genuinely feel that he cares for them. Even when they are asked about his antics, they routinely smile and laugh. I think they get it.

That said, I think Fran needs to understand that at times most fans will critique players, but that doesn't necessarily equate with not appreciating them. He and his players better learn now that critiquing one's performance and results is part of life. Better get used to it.

Woodbury is a perfect example. He was somewhat of a polarizing player during his tenure. Fans were critical of his offensive skills and athletic ability, and rightfully so. He was one of the worst 7-footers I've seen in years around the basket with the ball in his hands. On the defensive side, though, he was vocal and cerebral, and, while not a shot blocker in the classic sense, he showed good positional awareness as a rim protector. I think fans appreciated him for what he was but he certainly wasn't beyond criticism at times. Fran needs to shelve the defensiveness and put that in the proper context.

Last edited:
I know most people probably won't see it this way, but it's probably not very smart to call a portion of your fanbase as morons & idiots ever, let alone just after one of your school's worst seasons in a long time.

Given the comments made about Fran on HN, his shot at so
Calling a small group of fans morons at this level still shows mental weakness. Guess this current team learns from the poor example!! This entire Basketball Program from top to bottom appears it’s in need of some Therapy sessions..

pot kettle

I made no judgement about whether they will make it or not. I don't know. My guess would be that Cook will at sometime be in the NBA. He has a ton of athletic ability and with hard work and competent coaching I would not be surprised to see him "make it." Never is a big word...
Like people did with Mitch King, it's easy to look at Cook and say he’ll make it in the NBA. We see the guy multiple times a week, like the kid because he’s a Hawkeye, etc., and so on. But it’s also easy to be nearsighted about it and not see Cook in context. Look at Marble...not an NBAer but a big timer for the Hawks...more so than Cook has been.

Aaron White, Jarrod Uthoff, the list goes on. All players who I’d argue are/were better than Cook who aren’t playing NBA ball and probably won’t. Look at a guy like Melo Trimble; unanimous first team all Big Ten, tore up opposing teams, and put up much bigger stats than Cook and he’s playing G-league.

Look I’m not saying those guys I mentioned aren’t good, quite the contrary. But people underestimate how few spots there are in the NBA and how much of a freak you have to be to even be considered. Cook is a big fish in a small pond here but not when you look at the whole picture. Good on him for pursuing his dreams, I just don’t think it’s realistic. Just my opinion, but that’s what forum threads are all about.

how so? you've never seen kirk erupt on the sidelines? i have. many times. you've never watched kirk yelling and screaming at officials? i have. many times. you've never had the occasion to lip read kirk yelling "that's f---ing bullsh-t" at officials? i have. and by the way, yelling "that's f---ing bullsh-t" is very easy to lip read.

have you ever seen kirk blow up and yell and scream in a press conference? i have not. have you ever seen fran blow up and yell and scream in a press conference? i have not.

so again, how so?

Good shot. "There is nothing more irritating than a good example." Mark Twain

You tried to claim Fran wasnt a hot head and then backed it up with definition of a hot head. This isn't hard.

Were you and a few others not very busy telling us all that KF needed to put some emotion in his coaching style? I sure do recall a lot of posts heaping criticism on KF for being too passive on the field. Now, Fran is a hothead, and responses to a good post on comparisons has been ridiculed but not answered. Thanks for nothing.

Were you and a few others not very busy telling us all that KF needed to put some emotion in his coaching style? I sure do recall a lot of posts heaping criticism on KF for being too passive on the field. Now, Fran is a hothead, and responses to a good post on comparisons has been ridiculed but not answered. Thanks for nothing.
Nobody was calling for Kirk to chase refs up and down the field chest bumping them or slamming chairs or kicking items off the scorer's table, acting like a maniacal buffoon.
You're being absurd.

fran-mccaffery-bumps-ref-and-is-ejected-o.gif

Nobody was calling for Kirk to chase refs up and down the field chest bumping them or slamming chairs or kicking items off the scorer's table, acting like a maniacal buffoon.
You're being absurd.

fran-mccaffery-bumps-ref-and-is-ejected-o.gif

What thread was that where we chronicled all the tirades?

That was top 3 favorite all time.

Dennis Rodman, at 6'7, loved the challenge of shutting down bigger, stronger post players. Mostly it allowed his own post player to take an easier defensive assignment, conserving more energy for what said post player did best. Of course, with Rodman, much of the defense he played was between the ears, and getting between the ears of his opponent. Jordan, during the second three peat, actually was content to do much his damage from the outside and save most of his Jordanesque moments for the postseason. Rodman took a lot of the defensive heat off him. And of course, Jordan could play D. There wasn't much, on the court, he couldn't do.

Rodman was a master of intimidation between the ears.....

Especially in the Championship Series against Seattle.....

dennis-rodman-taunt-o.gif

:cool:

Of those three options, I'll vouch for #2. The primadonma effect has destroyed many a talented team at all levels of team sports. You would have to have a long pattern of documented examples from those on the inside to suggest. #3. Moss came from the south side of Chicago. I'm sure he's seen some things. Fran couldn't possibly throw things at him that he hasn't seen many times over.

You may be right. However, studies show soldiers more apt to develop ptsd went through severe childhood trauma. Freezing and or leaving are trauma responses.

No, KF is a solid coach.

Fran shows many of the marks of a poor leader...which leads one to not be surprised by the pathetic performances we watch.

Blame, yell, call those who are critical morons, make excuses...just shut up...coach...if you can.
Look up narcissist. I bet Fran's picture is next to it.

Thank you for nothing.

Latest posts