Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

Truth or Not it's a lose lose for any coach to call out any fans.
Anybody that goes on a coach’s or player’s social media account and is a d-bag. Eh, props to them for firing back.

Calling out moronic fans for being morons to players or coaches isn’t a lose-lose. Those fans are already in the lose column. Nothing is going to change that.

They could lose fans on the fence. They could win fans on the fence.

Ancient proverbs say, “Don’t respond to an idiot because you might look like him just by responding.”
The proverb next in line, “Respond to an idiot and put him in his place so he doesn’t think he’s right in his idiocy.”

Wisdom is knowing when to do which.

i think it says lots about the type of coach we have, which has obviously trickled down to the players
i don’t. Passive-aggressive anonymous attack posters are weak-minded.

i am very curious if Iowa and coaches sit around in the locker room and gossip or read all the negative tweets together. :cool::cool:
probably in the office; it’s nicer. Unless you’re curious about something else....

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of being called "Phil",... Abusers always blame others. Always.
No. not always. Self-appointed victims blame others, too

As an aside, or maybe not, aren’t you blaming Fran?

Anybody that goes on a coach’s or player’s social media account and is a d-bag. Eh, props that them for firing away.

Calling out moronic fans for being morons to players or coaches isn’t a lose-lose. Those fans are already in the lose column. Nothing is going to change that.

Ancient proverbs say, “Don’t respond to an idiot because you might look like him just by responding.”
The proverb next in line, “Respond to an idiot and put him in his place so he doesn’t think he’s right in his idiocy.”

probably in the office; it’s nicer. Unless you’re curious about something else....
Try this again after you calm down. :confused:

Were you and a few others not very busy telling us all that KF needed to put some emotion in his coaching style? I sure do recall a lot of posts heaping criticism on KF for being too passive on the field. Now, Fran is a hothead, and responses to a good post on comparisons has been ridiculed but not answered. Thanks for nothing.
Oh-oh. Now you did it. Calling out hypocrisy will cause Panties to bunch.

might want to remind a couple in the thread re: calling names.

lol
It's all good fun. We're not hot heads like Fran.

79381d84df9e2f108d08c24fd15fd318--hawkeye-page-77.jpg

QtkftTP.jpg

images

Anybody that goes on a coach’s or player’s social media account and is a d-bag. Eh, props to them for firing back.

lmao.. It is a lose lose there is nothing gain by doing it.,.

Last edited:
No, actually I wasn't. You hold the award for back handed "cuteness". This guy looks like me so I'll make your day.
zarZe_s-200x150.gif
Still ain’t working

Back-handed cuteness award on here is a soccer participation trophy. Everybody gets one.

Except US Men’s National Team, of course.

a hot head is: a person who is impetuous or who easily becomes angry and violent. Fran is not a hot head.

don't confuse Fran periodically showing emotion as being hot headed. because if you do, then you need to also call kirk a hot head because he HAS shown emotion on the field. He's even thrown f-bombs are officials. Fran and kirk have quite similar demeanor off the field.
Yeah this. When Fran gets mad most of the time it’s controlled and for a reason. There are times it’s not.

No. not always. Self-appointed victims blame others, too

As an aside, or maybe not, aren’t you blaming Fran?

Abusers most always blame victims. There are several issues here.

1. Very few people would have survived some of the antics he's done. Several of them could have been chargeable misdemeanor assault in Iowa. That he would do that in front of 15k speaks volumes. What would he do behind closed doors. If he did what he did in other circumstances the police would have been called and in many communities there would be an arrest.

2. People are oft quick to call people self appointed victims. Abuse is real. There is enough here to question Fran's ability to run a program.

The thread got rolling not because of his statement about Iowa being better. If Cook and Moss return, they should be better. The Big, though down this year should be down more next year so there is plenty of room to move up in the Big. The thread got going because of his comments about Fans and someone pointing that out and challenging that people were wrong.

A person not a narcissist would have quietly let Woodbury, Clemens, and Gesell quietly move on to the future. Combating fans just doesn't show health. He's got time, he certainly can show his stuff on the court, not the media.

This is going to get uglier. My guess is that Fran's tenure will end badly. Hope I'm wrong.

We've all been around self appointed victims. Moss just doesn't come across that way.

Not sure what you mean about blaming Fran. I think he has issues and should not be coaching until he gets some help and proves he's changed.

Not even close. When Fran walks out of a restroom with soiled toilet paper and uses it as a metaphor for how his team is practicing.......you come get me.
I'd like to take the Bob Knight discussion in a different direction. Let's forget the temper and verbal abuse, of which there too many examples to document, and focus on his "loyalty" and passive agressivness. Dr Phil (Hawk Gold) and I had a brief recent discussion about coach Knight. He said that Knight's heart was always about Knight (paraphrase). I replied saying that it could be possible that Knight's apparent acts of generosity were in fact bullying mechanisms, especially when his "acts of kindness" were unsolicited. Was this his way of controlling others? Did he hold others in contempt when they failed to return his loyalty? Just food for thought.

Knight's passive agressivness was legendary, often with the simplest things, like picking a restaurant or fishing hole. He wouldn't tell you what he wanted. He expected you to know, testing you to see how much attention you were paying. When we are forced to deal with passive agressivness, whether it's a coworker, boss, child, friend or spouse it can drain the energy right out of us.

Tom Thibedeaux once said that the measure of a man was how he performed when things weren't going his way, when there was nothing in it for him, when he didn't think someone was watching. He may have described best what it may have been like for an adult to deal with Bobby Knight.

Nobody was calling for Kirk to chase refs up and down the field chest bumping them or slamming chairs or kicking items off the scorer's table, acting like a maniacal buffoon.
You're being absurd.

fran-mccaffery-bumps-ref-and-is-ejected-o.gif

OH my goodness! If you had only told me that Fran slammed chair I would never have contributed my post.

I'd like to take the Bob Knight discussion in a different direction. Let's forget the temper and verbal abuse, of which there too many examples to document, and focus on his "loyalty" and passive agressivness. Dr Phil (Hawk Gold) and I had a brief recent discussion about coach Knight. He said that Knight's heart was always about Knight (paraphrase). I replied saying that it could be possible that Knight's apparent acts of generosity were in fact bullying mechanisms, especially when his "acts of kindness" were unsolicited. Was this his way of controlling others? Did he hold others in contempt when they failed to return his loyalty? Just food for thought.

Knight's passive agressivness was legendary, often with the simplest things, like picking a restaurant or fishing hole. He wouldn't tell you what he wanted. He expected you to know, testing you to see how much attention you were paying. When we are forced to deal with passive agressivness, whether it's a coworker, boss, child, friend or spouse it can drain the energy right out of us.

Tom Thibedeaux once said that the measure of a man was how he performed when things weren't going his way, when there was nothing in it for him, when he didn't think someone was watching. He may have described best what it may have been like for an adult to deal with Bobby Knight.
_
How about a real quote rather than what you just did. That was not Our Conversation at all.

You took a lot of liberty.

_
How about a real quote rather than what you just did. That was not Our Conversation at all.

You took a lot of liberty.
Was that another poster? If so, big mistake on my part. Either way a small part of the post and no harm intended. My apologies. I should have gone back to that thread before going to the airwaves.

EDIT:. That was you, Gold. Check posts 32-34 on the March 17 St. Bonaventure vs Alfraud game thread. That's was I was talking about, not last week's conversation. I even qualified it as a paraphrase. That was you. I should have made it more clear. Right or wrong, I will own anything that gets by my posting thumb and enters these threads.

Last edited:
What he should be learning from Jay Wright is how to target the right kind of player.

When you watch 'Nova teams, there is one consistency - mental toughness and resolve. His players are focused, tough, and battle-ready. Some of that probably is coaching, but I would propose that a lot of it is the make up of the players he recruits. He looks for that "certain something" that's hard to define, but he knows it when he sees it. His players never hang their heads, and they never wilt under pressure.

Fran is not as bad as many fans make him out to be, but I do think a fair criticism is that perhaps he needs to adjust how he prioritizes traits he looks for in recruits. The passive nice guy wallflower types are never going to put us over the top, and we consistently have too many of them.
What he should be learning from Jay Wright is how to target the right kind of player.

When you watch 'Nova teams, there is one consistency - mental toughness and resolve. His players are focused, tough, and battle-ready. Some of that probably is coaching, but I would propose that a lot of it is the make up of the players he recruits. He looks for that "certain something" that's hard to define, but he knows it when he sees it. His players never hang their heads, and they never wilt under pressure.

Fran is not as bad as many fans make him out to be, but I do think a fair criticism is that perhaps he needs to adjust how he prioritizes traits he looks for in recruits. The passive nice guy wallflower types are never going to put us over the top, and we consistently have too many of them.
FRAN MCCAFFERY SAYS HAWKEYES WILL REBOUND FROM DOWN SEASON

I'd say that too if I'd had a year like last year!! IMO, today's college basketball success is 90% recruiting, 10% coaching. Inevitably, it is the blue-bloods that take home the titles: Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, Villanova etc... Players flock to schools like these. Year after year after year, they land the top recruits. Currently, Duke has pulled in the top 3 recruits in the whole country! Think they'll have a decent year next year?

Latest posts