Fran McCaffery Says Hawkeyes Will Rebound from Down Season

This happened in 2010. I didn't search any archives. It shows that coaches go a little crazy more than you realize - even good coaches. The fact is, when a team is winning, then the coach going crazy is OK. When they are not winning, then it looks bad.

How about Roy Williams ripping his jacket (or attempting to)?

Or Jim Boeheim?

Or Bob Huggins?

Or Bobby Hurley?

Roy Williams always gets angry when his fool proof plan of fake classes, fake degrees and unprecedented cheating doesn't equal a win. Can you blame him?

To get back to the main point, most coaches have bad seasons in which firing them after one would in hindsight, have been a bad move. The 76'ers coach had three or four years in a row in which they won 28 games or less and look at them now. Mr. Davis had a few terrible years sprinkled in among decent to good seasons. If you want to use football, Hayden and Kirk had lousy seasons only to eventually turn it around and have some memorable seasons. To think what would have could have happened to Hayden if there was social media back then is kinda scary.

Fran can turn it around and he should get at least another year to do so. If we're terrible again next season all possibilities for his future should be on the table, but to see the vultures start circling after one terrible season isn't a good look.
It's not "one terrible season". It's his "body of work". In spite of what Fran thinks of his body of work, it's not good enough. 3 NCAA appearances in 8 years is not good enough. Soon to be 3 NCAA appearances in 9 years. This last bad season is just the icing on the mediocre cake. If you want to argue for keeping Fran, at least be honest about it. The reasons people want to fire Fran are not based on 1 bad season.

Lack of mental toughness. Interesting. Perhaps some fans need this. Suck it up through 1 bad season and see what next year brings...

At my age I don't take offense to anything. But I served on four ships in the fleet in the Navy and will retire in seven months from 16 years working in a fast-paced dynamic environment supporting Navy students and transferring them around the world. Had a severe concussion from a fall three years ago and and now deal with the repercussions from brain trauma. I know you didn't mean anything personal about the comment but I don't need anybody questioning my mental toughness. We can agree to disagree about how we look at Fran.

Last edited:
At my age I don't take offense to anything. But I served on four ships in the fleet in the Navy and will retire in seven months from 16 years working in a fast-paced dynamic environment supporting Navy students and transferring them around the world. Had a severe concussion from a fall three years ago and and now deal with the repercussions from brain trauma. I know you didn't mean anything personal about the comment but I don't need anybody questioning my mental toughness. We can agree to disagree about how we look at Fran.
Good luck in retirement. And thank you for your service.

I was making a general comment about Iowa fans in general...not just on this board. It was a bad season. We all have to accept it and move forward.

I was making a general comment about Iowa fans in general...not just on this board. It was a bad season. We all have to accept it and move forward.
I've made this comment in the past six weeks approximately 1,867 times. Everyone is frustrated. It shows. I show it.

Thanks and I kind of took it that you meant your comment that way. I agree with your outlook 100% and with what I've gone through in life you just keep moving. We have Fran at the helm for the foreseeable future and let's just see where this goes.

I read his interview with Hawk Central. Did not build confidence. He still sounds like he has no idea what went wrong or how to fix it. Listed all the different possible things but sounded like he is just throwing everything against the wall to see what sticks.

I had a vet like that. Went in with a sick dog and they listed like 10 things we could “try” and then asked what i wanted to do. They were the “expert” and they were asking me what how to fix my dog? You know what I did? I locked that vet down for 20 years to make sure I didn’t lose em.

I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that Fran will be able to fix a damn thing. Pemsl going awol, Cook not committing to anything....this is ridiculous. Looks to me like Fran is on the edge of losing control of everything. Makes that idiot Barta's contract extension for Fran look really stupid. I'm just uncomfortable with believing that Fran knows how to get anything straight.

I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that Fran will be able to fix a damn thing. Pemsl going awol, Cook not committing to anything....this is ridiculous. Looks to me like Fran is on the edge of losing control of everything. Makes that idiot Barta's contract extension for Fran look really stupid. I'm just uncomfortable with believing that Fran knows how to get anything straight.

You and every other Iowa fan. There is no-one left that has doubt free faith in Fran. Not even the players.

You and every other Iowa fan. There is no-one left that has doubt free faith in Fran. Not even the players.

Cook had nothing but good things to say about Fran. March-April are crazy times in the NCAA with transfers, NBA seekers. It probably happens each spring to most programs.

The number of college basketball players that transfer from one school to another is about 15 percent. That number goes up every year as players look for a greener grass situation. Everybody deals with it.

Fran has had players transfer but I don't remember a starter transferring out. Under lick I think we lost our best player yearly

Fran has had players transfer but I don't remember a starter transferring out. Under lick I think we lost our best player yearly

Good point here. Transfers will happen regardless and I don't think Fran has done badly at all in this area but losing Cook this early if it should happen puts a dent in that record. Another poster mentioned that Cook has had positive things to say about Fran and the program and that seems spot on. He strikes me as an intelligent young man who feels happy with the choice he made for college. What that means about where he wants to go from here who knows?

We just have a really fluid situation at the moment fluid for the normal reasons this time of year and fluid because nothing seems certain about the direction Fran will take things. I too didn't develop all that much confidence after reading Fran's comments to the media. I would like to see a more decisive stance on specific issues that need addressed and just not feeling it from what I've seen so far. His comments about defense seem rather vague at this point. I think we'll see some partial fixes next season but not to the level we need to turn this thing around. Just have to see...

Latest posts