For everyone who said McCabe brought nothing..

Your problem is your arguemnts against McCabes game are absolute horsesh!t. You say he can't get a shot off yet he's shooting over 50% from the field.

He's a role player and shouldn't start. Scotty Pippen was a role player for most of his career and he's in the ******* HOF.

He's a poor man Jess Settles. So what? Jess was an NBA talent before his degenerative back condition ended his career.

Everything that comes out of your mouth is horse ****.

Learn to read....I didn't say he couldn't get a shot off. I said he gets it blocked more than anybody I've ever seen. Watch the games. I'm guessing most of you didn't watch the early season games that weren't on the BTN. I did. He almost single-handedly lost us the Campbell game. He was putrid against Clemson killing our chance at a comeback with dumb fouls and costly turnovers. Has he improved since then? Of course....you can't get much worse. He's looked a lot better the last two games but two good games don't validate anything. Did you forget that we LOST to Purdue?

If you have some boy/man crush on McCabe so be it. Don't get on here and spout off like he's the second coming of Greg Brunner. The games prove otherwise.

Last edited:
Basabe has not played the 5 this year, McCabe has. And why can McCabe improve so much over last year minus the help of a true big man but Basabe is a shell of the player he was last year?

McCabe has showed he deserves to get more PT this year than Mel. Although there is still a lot of season left for Basabe to turn it around.

Sorry but Basabe has played the 5 spot in just about every game this year. He's been ineffective for the most, I know. Hopefully the injury is a big reason for that and he can turn things around.

Sorry but Basabe has played the 5 spot in just about every game this year. He's been ineffective for the most, I know. Hopefully the injury is a big reason for that and he can turn things around.
Except not.
He's played the 4.

McCabe starts at the 5, Brommer/Archie have spelled him.

Learn to read....I didn't say he couldn't get a shot off. I said he gets it blocked more than anybody I've ever seen. Watch the games. I'm guessing most of you didn't watch the early season games that weren't on the BTN. I did. He almost single-handedly lost us the Campbell game. He was putrid against Clemson killing our chance at a comeback with dumb fouls and costly turnovers. Has he improved since then? Of course....you can't get much worse. He's looked a lot better the last two games but two good games don't validate anything. Did you forget that we LOST to Purdue?

If you have some boy/man crush on McCabe so be it. Don't get on here and spout off like he's the second coming of Greg Brunner. The games prove otherwise.

Maybe YOU need to learn to read. Nobody is saying he's the next Brunner. Nobody is saying he'll ever make 1st or 2nd team All-Big Ten in his career. What almost everyone in this thread IS saying is that he brings a lot more than nothing to the table.

You seem to confuse "playing the 5 spot" with jumping for the opening tip.

Its absurd to think that one person lost us the game vs. Campbell or Clemson, it's a team effort and the team failed in those games. I don't think anyone would argue that the majority of players on the team have improved throughout the season. I like McCabe and he has been a contributor for more than just 2 games. It took him a while to get into the flow of the game this year, but now he has. Is he the second coming of Brunner, probably not, but nobody really said that, though he plays with the effort that Brunner did which I really like.

You seem to confuse "playing the 5 spot" with jumping for the opening tip.

I think I pulled a muscle laughing at this.

I'm not sure why you feel McCabe is to blame for the losses to Campbell and Clemson. Iowa shot 36% from the field against Campbell and 29% against Clemson. Against Clemson McCabe was 3-4 from the field and lead the team with 7 rebounds in 19 min. of play (yes he did foul out). Not sure how you blame the loss on him, since he hit 3 of the 16 Field goals made (yes 16 field goals is all Iowa made). He was lousy against Campbell, you will get no argument from me on that one. The Campbell lose is a team loss, and that will very well be the low game of the season for the Hawks as a team.

It just gets under most people skin on here when we see a kid improving, and a poster just has to rip him to shreds for some reason. Fine you think he sucks, we all get it. Most of the rest of us see the massive amount of improvement that McCabe has shown from last year to this year, and then again in the last few games.

Even if I give you that "he can't get his shot off" is materially different than "he gets his shot blocked more than anybody I've ever seen", which I'm not, it's immaterial. He's shooting over 50% from the field. I don't care if those other 49% of his field goals are blocked.

Secondly you tell us you can't look at a couple of good recent games yet you have no problem selling him out for a couple of bad games earlier in the season.

Lastly no one made a claim he was better than Brunner. Brunner was an all time Iowa great, there's no shame if he doesn't have the career Bru did. Not many will. That's like saying Dwayne Wade sucks because he's not Michael Jordan. I did make the claim that he brings a lot to the table, contrary to what many others said over the last season and a half.

Except not.
He's played the 4.

McCabe starts at the 5, Brommer/Archie have spelled him.

That would be false. If anything, we don't have a 5 spot but Basabe plays the closest thing to it. McCabe plays too much on the wing to even be considered the 5 spot. Coach McCaffery has done a good job with a lack of any real post players outside of Basabe. I just wish we could combine McCabe and Archie into one player. That would be a heck of a player.

That would be false. If anything, we don't have a 5 spot but Basabe plays the closest thing to it. McCabe plays too much on the wing to even be considered the 5 spot. Coach McCaffery has done a good job with a lack of any real post players outside of Basabe. I just wish we could combine McCabe and Archie into one player. That would be a heck of a player.

I could have sworn I saw McCabe guard Sampson pretty much the entire Minnesota game. Come to think of it, McCabe seems to be guarding the other teams center in pretty much all the games I have watched.

Nice trolling bud.

Except not.He's played the 4.McCabe starts at the 5, Brommer/Archie have spelled him.

The fact that you think Basabe is a post player is pry just as ansurd as everything else you have said. You are a genius.

3192526-man-eating-popcorn-while-watching-movie.jpg

Can't wait to see the response to this idiotic post.

Too much on the wing? Have you been watching Iowa BB lately? Do you know how the motion offense works? There are 2-3 High sets, but it's a motion offense.

No, seriously, McCabe plays the 5. Basabe plays the 4.
If you don't believe me, just watch the video I posted, I actually talk about that with Zach in a post game interview.

Mel is a 4.
Zach is a 4-type-player, playing the 5.

Last edited:
Even if I give you that "he can't get his shot off" is materially different than "he gets his shot blocked more than anybody I've ever seen", which I'm not, it's immaterial. He's shooting over 50% from the field. I don't care if those other 49% of his field goals are blocked.

Secondly you tell us you can't look at a couple of good recent games yet you have no problem selling him out for a couple of bad games earlier in the season.

Lastly no one made a claim he was better than Brunner. Brunner was an all time Iowa great, there's no shame if he doesn't have the career Bru did. Not many will. That's like saying Dwayne Wade sucks because he's not Michael Jordan. I did make the claim that he brings a lot to the table, contrary to what many others said over the last season and a half.

You may be right about selling him out on those 2 games and it not being fair. He just frustrated the hell out of me early on in the year. I hope he keeps proving me wrong and plays well. I just don't think he can be an effective post player at all. He has value on the wing and can knock down shots there. It's the drives to the basket, with his head down, and forcing the shots up that really get to me. He might be able to do that against the lesser teams in the B1G but that will never work against OSU, Mich State, Illannoy, etc. I just want to win B1G games. We should be 5-2 but we're 3-4. It seems like it's always shoulda, coulda, woulda (I'm guilty of it). We need to get over that hump and I think we're close.

You may be right about selling him out on those 2 games and it not being fair. He just frustrated the hell out of me early on in the year. I hope he keeps proving me wrong and plays well. I just don't think he can be an effective post player at all. He has value on the wing and can knock down shots there. It's the drives to the basket, with his head down, and forcing the shots up that really get to me. He might be able to do that against the lesser teams in the B1G but that will never work against OSU, Mich State, Illannoy, etc. I just want to win B1G games. We should be 5-2 but we're 3-4. It seems like it's always shoulda, coulda, woulda (I'm guilty of it). We need to get over that hump and I think we're close.

So he should be a spot-up shooter, when he's already proven he's capable of more than that? A wing who's not allowed to drive to the basket is SEVERELY limited. And he's a solid shooter, but he's no Diebler.

Or we could've been 0-7 like many predicted. Being 5-2 would've been nice, but we haven't lost to anyone we shouldn't have. Purdue was an equal or slightly better team that got the better of us twice, and the games we won the other teams are probably looking at those games saying, we should've wone those. I'm very accepting of 3-4 though I'd love to be 5-2 or 7-0

One can gleen alot of information from this message board. I have already learned that Brock125 is an imbicile!!!

One can gleen alot of information from this message board. I have already learned that Brock125 is an imbicile!!!

Hooray!!! I'm a troll AND an imbecile (the correct spelling). I was wondering how long it would take to pull that off. Looks like 11 hours did the trick.

Hooray!!! I'm a troll AND an imbecile (the correct spelling). I was wondering how long it would take to pull that off. Looks like 11 hours did the trick.

yes, that is a great cover, pretending like you meant to sound like an idiot when you were genetically inclined to just be that dumb.

Too much on the wing? Have you been watching Iowa BB lately? Do you know how the motion offense works? There are 2-3 High sets, but it's a motion offense.

No, seriously, McCabe plays the 5. Basabe plays the 4.
If you don't believe me, just watch the video I posted, I actually talk about that with Zach in a post game interview.

Mel is a 4.
Zach is a 4-type-player, playing the 5.

The 5 in the motion offense sets screens on the wing. They will also get the ball out on the wing from time to time but they aren't out there trying to make plays on the wing. Face it, McCabe is generally out of position player no matter where he is on the floor unless he's playing the role of Devan Bawinkel.

Somebody has the guard the other team's center, right? Marble could be the guy to do that but that doesn't make him the 5.

Latest posts