Fitz In The Pitz

I don't see it. Doyle got run by the Twitter mob hours after getting hired at Jacksonville. This dude is done. Throw out the COVID year and his last three years have been 3-9, 3-9, 1-11. He has aged out of being deemed an "up and comer" and the past few years have been a disaster. The only way I see him getting another P5 head job would be if he got into Nick's rehab clinic and then a school has an unforeseen vacancy due to a death or illness or something and Fitz is far and away the best choice who can be had at the last minute. I think he's done.
He should take his talents overseas and tout his undefeated European record to land a job there.

He will 100% be on Bama’s staff in 24
Only reason I don't think he will is because he's already dropped the gauntlet and lawyered up. He's going to be suing the school so I don't think he'll be getting a new gig right away. It's also an odd time for coaching changes now. I doubt there's an opening. Not that they couldn't just create a new position out of thin air but I doubt they would for him now.

Only reason I don't think he will is because he's already dropped the gauntlet and lawyered up. He's going to be suing the school so I don't think he'll be getting a new gig right away. It's also an odd time for coaching changes now. I doubt there's an opening. Not that they couldn't just create a new position out of thin air but I doubt they would for him now.

Nick's Rehabilition Clinic is specifically designed to allow brilliant coaches to discharge their contractual duty to mitigate while earning virtually no money from Alabama, meaning the terminating school has to pay pretty much full freight on a buyout. Nick does it specifically to harm every school other than Alabama. It is brilliant.

If Fitz has been terminated for cause and is lawyering up to sue Northwestern to allege he wasn't fired for cause, despite being a good coach Nick would likely not be interested in bringing Fitz in. It doesn't meet the standards of what Nick is trying to do with the Clinic and Nick likely doesn't see Northwestern as a school he needs to worry about in terms of trying to bleed them of cash. He typically wants guys from the SEC and blue blood programs or who can bring a serious advantage to recruiting for Alabama (like Mike Locksley). I just don't see Fitz being the right fit for the program, but I will readily concede that the Nick Saban Rehab Clinic is the ONLY chance Fitz has to ever get back onto the sidelines as a P5 head coach.

So someone please explain things to me. Why issue a two week suspension on a Friday night only to terminate on a Monday? Was it an attempt to sweep under the rug until the local and national media caught word and blew it up or was it a matter of additional information being released and/or conversations making their way to the surface.

I despise the guy entirely as well as hazing in general, but I can't understand how it escalated so quickly. How does a 6 month investigation lead to a two week suspension (during essentially one of the quietest times of the year in which no practices or games were missed) on a Friday night and then boom less then 72 hours later he's terminated. Why not just terminate on Friday night?

So someone please explain things to me. Why issue a two week suspension on a Friday night only to terminate on a Monday? Was it an attempt to sweep under the rug until the local and national media caught word and blew it up or was it a matter of additional information being released and/or conversations making their way to the surface.

I despise the guy entirely as well as hazing in general, but I can't understand how it escalated so quickly. How does a 6 month investigation lead to a two week suspension (during essentially one of the quietest times of the year in which no practices or games were missed) on a Friday night and then boom less then 72 hours later he's terminated. Why not just terminate on Friday night?
That's most definitely at the top of the agenda of things that'll be asked about from the schools side of things. The AD and President are hiding under their desks as we speak about it all. I think Adam Rittenburg had been tweeting about this part of it already too.

The Board probably hadn't been informed and the officers likely realized there had to be some punishment and was hoping it would stay relatively quiet during a period when there is absolutely nothing else going on in sports. The firing would have needed Board approval and that obviously occurred quickly once they convened on Monday. My guess is that the matter didn't rise to the materiality threshold necessary to call a Board meeting until suddenly it did.

Adam Rittenberg
@ESPNRittenberg
·
3h

Six Northwestern faculty members are asking university leaders for the hazing investigation report to be revealed publicly, according to a letter obtained by ESPN. They also want the $800 Ryan Field rebuild project put on hold "until this crisis is satisfactorily resolved."

Good luck with that. You call Gambino Brothers construction and say "yeah, sorry bros, we're gonna need to move that project to the back burner" and next thing you know the price just went up 50%. I'd also be interested to know what would constitute satisfactory resolution for those people. The "crisis" is already over, the bad men who played grabass in the locker room are on notice to stop. The evil coach who empowered it all is gone.

No I don't think any of the WUW's forceable group dry-humped freshmen. I played high school football and that kind of shit wouldn't be acceptable there. There's always going to be pranks and shit-talk but this is extreme behavior. This is really psychological torture. I heard stories that Pat was a drinker but this is something else. The former players of Iowa talk a lot about being pushed to their limits physically but no stories of sexual abuse. This is just sick behavior.

It's really weird. Honestly, Pat Fitz is one of the last coaches I'd think to be tied to or his program to something like this. Odd.

I could see P.J being tied to something like this or maybe Harbaugh, but not Fitz. Hell, Harbaugh in my mind has "dry humping" written all over him.

From what I understand the NW school newspaper dug up some ugly details after the suspension was announced.

From what I understand the NW school newspaper dug up some ugly details after the suspension was announced.
Sounds like a really thorough investigation. They dug up in a 72 hour window what the investigators couldn't uncover in 6 months. Interesting.

Sounds like a really thorough investigation. They dug up in a 72 hour window what the investigators couldn't uncover in 6 months. Interesting.
For all we know the same details could have been in the investigation (and probably are). The NW administration just chose to not release it and hoped it would all blow over. Now they're being pressured to release the details. Could be a very bad look for them. And the president only started his job this year.

Three points.

1) NW isn't dropping their football program. This isn't the 1940's anymore.
2) I believe Jay Berwanger was from De Witt IA and played HS there, so very first Heisman winner was from Iowa.
3) Very interesting info about the U of Chicago and Mich St. I didn't know that and that Mich St. could have been bumped out. Txs.
If NW doesn't drop football they better hire the right guy or they could return to the doormat status of the 70's and 80's.

Jay Berwanger was from Dubuque and prepped there. The high school field has a display of Jay and his Heisman at the east entrance.

Latest posts