Fitz In The Pitz

NW is a different animal than the rest of the Big10. Unlike pretty much everyone else, football is not the most important thing on that campus.

I could see them shelling the season too. That would be drastic, but if the assistants were involved or had any knowledge of this unbelievably shitty behavior on the team, they have to be canned too. If so, they may not have a choice. You can't pull a new staff together in a few weeks. On top of that, I have to believe that many of the perpetrators of the hazing are still part of the team. How do you keep the players that actually did the torturing? Can they get this all sorted out in the next couple of weeks???? I am skeptical. Its a mess.

If NW does cancel their season, I think it is way too late to adjust the conference schedule. So, I am guessing the conference would give their opponents all waivers to schedule a game with a non-conference opponents for a home game. That would suck balls given Wrigley. I would imagine that the MAC and UNI's of the world are rooting for NW to throw in the towel in the hopes of a payday.

Maybe Iowa could schedule Northern Illinois at Wrigley?? The venue is already booked.

If NW does cancel their season, I think it is way too late to adjust the conference schedule. So, I am guessing the conference would give their opponents all waivers to schedule a game with a non-conference opponents for a home game. That would suck balls given Wrigley. I would imagine that the MAC and UNI's of the world are rooting for NW to throw in the towel in the hopes of a payday.

Maybe Iowa could schedule Northern Illinois at Wrigley?? The venue is already booked.

No, I don't want that at all. I'm old enough to remember when Incarnate Word was scheduled to play ISU and they cancelled leaving ISU to play Drake.

No, I don't want that at all. I'm old enough to remember when Incarnate Word was scheduled to play ISU and they cancelled leaving ISU to play Drake.
Teams will have to fill the gap somehow. Especially if it is a homegame. No one is giving up the revenue of a home game and teams looking for post season don't want to be short a game.

I just read that NW is talking to some veteran, retired coaches like Dave Wanstadt to jump in to assist the coaching staff. Obviously, they are planning on a season, but if the allegations keep trending badly, this could take another turn.....

Maybe Iowa could get one of the Dakota schools as a replacement? Those are typically easy wins, so almost like a second bye for the Hawks. Plus, probably some concern for lower fan interest in the middle of the season, so it's good those teams travel well and can help fill Kinnick up. Win-win. Iowa would probably even significantly drop the ticket prices for that game. Given all the TV money coming in, the revenue for ticket sales maybe isn't that important anymore. Better to fill the stands and give fans a feel good moment with a blowout of one of the Dakotas.

Maybe Iowa could get one of the Dakota schools as a replacement? Those are typically easy wins, so almost like a second bye for the Hawks. Plus, probably some concern for lower fan interest in the middle of the season, so it's good those teams travel well and can help fill Kinnick up. Win-win. Iowa would probably even significantly drop the ticket prices for that game. Given all the TV money coming in, the revenue for ticket sales maybe isn't that important anymore. Better to fill the stands and give fans a feel good moment with a blowout of one of the Dakotas.

Love it. Iowa has a bye week 10/28 and NU on 11/4. Dakota States play each other on 11/4. We could schedule a doubleheader and beat the hell out of both of them in order. I can't fathom that we've ever lost to either of them or even been in a close game with either of them.

Oh man, you don't remember when NDSU beat us and their band played the Iowa Victory Polka?

If NW does not play the Wrigley game then they are on the hook for the venue? They can afford it.

Love it. Iowa has a bye week 10/28 and NU on 11/4. Dakota States play each other on 11/4. We could schedule a doubleheader and beat the hell out of both of them in order. I can't fathom that we've ever lost to either of them or even been in a close game with either of them.
Plus, if Petras is still banged up early and hasn't gotten many snaps into October, I think you probably let him start one of the Dakota games. We're all anointing Cade, but hard to compare until we see Petras with an improved line and weapons at WR. I'm not saying you want controversy at that position half way through the season, but it'd be great to have two starting QBs down the home stretch. And probably a quick hook if Cade struggles in Lincoln. Rhule's a defensive minded coach, and Petras had to come off the bench to save us once before in Lincoln. It'll be great to have him ready in November and December.

Supposedly a defendant named John Doe 3 is about to come public with information that makes everything we've heard the last twelve days look like child's play.

Fasten those seat belts, and be glad you're not in Evanston trying to sort this mess on the eve of preseason.

Typically easy wins... are you familiar with recent history?

Fasten those seat belts, and be glad you're not in Evanston trying to sort this mess on the eve of preseason.
There are only about twelve people in the state of Illinois who give a shit about purple football.

I’d be fine if this was the end of the program, they’ve been an also ran for a long time and it’d be a good opportunity to add a good team to the B1G.

Let NW go back to writing books on the geopolitics of the Middle East and graduating comedians and DC bureau news correspondents. Nobody gives a shit about their sports.

Oh and if there was truly stuff happening that qualifies as assault, put folks in jail and do a better job of that than they did in Happy Valley.

There are only about twelve people in the state of Illinois who give a shit about purple football.

I’d be fine if this was the end of the program, they’ve been an also ran for a long time and it’d be a good opportunity to add a good team to the B1G.

Let NW go back to writing books on the geopolitics of the Middle East and graduating comedians and DC bureau news correspondents. Nobody gives a shit about their sports.

Oh and if there was truly stuff happening that qualifies as assault, put folks in jail and do a better job of that than they did in Happy Valley.
Six of those twelve must be the on air talent at WSCR's morning, midday, and afternoon drive....

Of course this is the absolute deadest time of the year for a major city sports talk station, especially when your two local baseball teams are going nowhere. And we've got another week to go before NFL training camps begin. So this story is getting plenty of run in Chicago.

I get ample opportunity as a delivery driver for a FedEx contractor to listen to a lot of sports radio. The morning guys, Mike Mulligan and David Haugh, are by far the most competent of the bunch. The midday guys are Dan Bernstein (sanctimonious and preachy but blessed with invaluable anonymous sources) and Laurence Holmes (competent but swarmy)

The afternoon guys are, at best, hit and miss. You have the agitator and wanna be baseball historian Matt Spiegel, and the obnoxious narcissist Danny Parkins. Fortunately my day is usually done sixty to ninety minutes into their show, because on most days that's about all I can stomach.

Six of those twelve must be the on air talent at WSCR's morning, midday, and afternoon drive....

Of course this is the absolute deadest time of the year for a major city sports talk station, especially when your two local baseball teams are going nowhere. And we've got another week to go before NFL training camps begin. So this story is getting plenty of run in Chicago.

I get ample opportunity as a delivery driver for a FedEx contractor to listen to a lot of sports radio. The morning guys, Mike Mulligan and David Haugh, are by far the most competent of the bunch. The midday guys are Dan Bernstein (sanctimonious and preachy but blessed with invaluable anonymous sources) and Laurence Holmes (competent but swarmy)

The afternoon guys are, at best, hit and miss. You have the agitator and wanna be baseball historian Matt Spiegel, and the obnoxious narcissist Danny Parkins. Fortunately my day is usually done sixty to ninety minutes into their show, because on most days that's about all I can stomach.
And I think Fry forgot that half of ESPN's on air personalities graduated from NW. Mike Greenberg alone makes NW athletics marginally relevant. That said, I agree that them leaving the Big 10 might be best for everyone given the direction of college sports right now.

Story just coming out that the associate head coach witnessed hazing in the form of forced, naked pull ups and laughed it off. Can't see how that guy can keep coaching.

The notion that you can fire the head coach under a "should have known" standard, but not the assistants, is silly. Who has more contact and a better ear to the ground, the position coaches or the head coach? The assistants have the day to day contact with their players. Come on, if this stuff was as wide-spread as it appears, there is no way the assistants did not know about it, or at least they sure as hell should have.

NW's season is absolutely in peril as the stench of this gets worse.

I don't think anyone is going to take that Northwestern job right now. It's just a hot mess:

1. Former players will sue over hazing.
2. Former players will sue over "racism" allegations.
3. Fitz will sue the University alleging wrongful termination/breach of contract.
4. Top recruits and players starting to transfer.

Am I leaving anyone out?

And now the University is announcing TWO independent investigations to cover their rears. And that will result in assistants being terminated. Which will result in more lawsuits.

It's not even just former football players suing, it's now bled into other sports at NW filing law suites.

Yea, but you are assuming those teams have the said week as a bye. Schedules are already in place just weeks before the start of the 2023 season.

The only way I see it is if a team has the same bye and are willing to fill in.

Yea, but you are assuming those teams have the said week as a bye. Schedules are already in place just weeks before the start of the 2023 season.

The only way I see it is if a team has the same bye and are willing to fill in.
Oh, South Dakota State will cancel or move any game on its schedule to be able to play Iowa in the middle of the season for a million dollar pay day. Big Ten schools will have no trouble finding cupcakes who need cash to fill in their budgets. Cash is king.

Story just coming out that the associate head coach witnessed hazing in the form of forced, naked pull ups and laughed it off. Can't see how that guy can keep coaching.

So broing out is against the rules now, huh? Unreal. Like it says near the back of the Bible: "Let he who hath not broed out cast thy first stone."

Latest posts