Fitz In The Pitz

I still think this is the end of NW football.

Interim coach or not it’s going to be a mass exodus to the portal and I think the pressure from the student and faculty groups is going to be too much for the program to bear.

They might have a program, but it’ll be a shell of the shitty one it used to be.

Sounds like a really thorough investigation. They dug up in a 72 hour window what the investigators couldn't uncover in 6 months. Interesting.
NW is supposed to have one of, if not the best journalism schools in the country. And a story of this magnitude is one thing every student reporter would be dying to work on.

Well, just browsing the internet, it looks like Mike Kafka and Matt Campbell are the first phone calls being made.

Interim coach or not it’s going to be a mass exodus to the portal and I think the pressure from the student and faculty groups is going to be too much for the program to bear.

They might have a program, but it’ll be a shell of the shitty one it used to be.

For sure, the real issue here is probably the loss of Jim Phillips. Jim loved NU and was just the right guy for that job. I can't see them building back any sort of sustained success at this point. They'll keep the program for the juice off the Big Ten and to fund all of their ancillary sports, but they probably aren't going to invest a penny in that program for the next decade.

I can't see that. The Sandusky/Paterno thing didn't end football at PSU. YES... Penn State football is a much bigger institution...but I just don't get the logic behind blowing the whole thing up. Overreaction (especially from academics) is to be expected, but others will say "No, let's rebuild it the right way" and things will move forward.

I can't see that. The Sandusky/Paterno thing didn't end football at PSU. YES... Penn State football is a much bigger institution...but I just don't get the logic behind blowing the whole thing up. Overreaction (especially from academics) is to be expected, but others will say "No, let's rebuild it the right way" and things will move forward.
I agree with this take. Mike Wilbon from ESPN is a Northwestern graduate and a current trustee of the school. He thinks that since they'll get somebody in there to rebuild it. He said that he has taken calls from coaches who would be interested. We'll see who they get.

I personally think it is a difficult job that just got more difficult but they won't cut the sport. It would also kill the rest of their sports financially and they're not going to give up that money.

Why would NW give up $50 million a year and more. All they have to do is field a football team. They couldn't fill the current stadium and even blocked off some of the seats so do they really need a new stadium? I imagine the new stadium idea was for Fitz and now is not needed. There are worse teams in the Big 10 now.

If NW doesn't drop football they better hire the right guy or they could return to the doormat status of the 70's and 80's.

Jay Berwanger was from Dubuque and prepped there. The high school field has a display of Jay and his Heisman at the east entrance.

That's right. I was recently in Dubuque and DeWitt for HS baseball games the last several weeks and recall the info about Jay Berwanger and you are correct, It was at Dubuque Senior HS where I saw it and not DeWitt. Thanks for correcting.

But, Dewitt has a terrific baseballs and sports complex in general, so they win out there! Very impressed.

For sure, the real issue here is probably the loss of Jim Phillips. Jim loved NU and was just the right guy for that job. I can't see them building back any sort of sustained success at this point. They'll keep the program for the juice off the Big Ten and to fund all of their ancillary sports, but they probably aren't going to invest a penny in that program for the next decade.

This is a really good point, and supports my point that NW isn't going to drop their football program. It is so different now with the $$$ the conferences are pulling in and getting from the conference TV deals. So different than in the 1930's-1950's. As you point out, the football programs pretty much subsidize everything else in a college/university, related to sports. I don't see any university in the Big 10 or SEC ever dropping football for this reason.

Why would NW give up $50 million a year and more. All they have to do is field a football team. They couldn't fill the current stadium and even blocked off some of the seats so do they really need a new stadium? I imagine the new stadium idea was for Fitz and now is not needed. There are worse teams in the Big 10 now.

Exactly, no matter how shitty the team is on an annual basis. With the eyes from other teams fans on games and the TV deals because other teams fans have the BIG network, NW will continue to get the $$$$$.

This is why teams don't get so worked up about having filled stadiums anymore. It really doesn't freaking matter. Fans in the stands is just bonus $$$ at this point for a university. Worth getting them in seats but not a necessity.

I mean depends how ya define end I guess. All this stuff isn't going to help no doubt. But I think with divisions going away and adding the CA schools they were going to be in the toilet anyway. Coming off last yr and they weren't expected to be any good this yr I think they are just trash anyway. How much lower can being the 16th of 16 schools can they get? They'll still be making that BIG TV money so they'll be rich at the end of the day so that's all they really care about.

I mean depends how ya define end I guess. All this stuff isn't going to help no doubt. But I think with divisions going away and adding the CA schools they were going to be in the toilet anyway. Coming off last yr and they weren't expected to be any good this yr I think they are just trash anyway. How much lower can being the 16th of 16 schools can they get? They'll still be making that BIG TV money so they'll be rich at the end of the day so that's all they really care about.

It's to the point that if any of these teams, in particular the SEC, BIG 10 or any major conference, drops their football teams, how are they going to fund everything else. They would really struggle to find the funds to support each Olympic sport.

Think about a school dropping their program than dealing with another COVID situation for the other sports.

It's to the point that if any of these teams, in particular the SEC, BIG 10 or any major conference, drops their football teams, how are they going to fund everything else. They would really struggle to find the funds to support each Olympic sport.

Think about a school dropping their program than dealing with another COVID situation for the other sports.

Correct. If the ACC doesn't get a big time TV deal or if they lose a few blue bloods and are perpetually behind the Big Ten and SEC, I could see Duke getting rid of football. Same with Cal and Stanford depending on the Pac 10. But Northwestern and Vanderbilt will have absolutely no shame about being the mid season rent-a-victim for their SEC and Big Ten counterparts so long as the money is good.

I believe that absent some miraculous TV deals coming out, within 10 years at least three of Duke, Wake, BC Stanford and Cal will cease to have a football program in the FBS level.

That's why they aren't dropping football. Come hell or high water they aren't doing that. Someone has to be in last place may as well be them. But like everyone else they want that $$$.

It is silly to even contemplate NW dropping football. What the hell…

They won't drop it, but I will not be the least bit surprised if the program reverts to the point where the only thing for fans to talk about is whether they will beat Maine to finish the year 1-11 or if they will drop that and end up 0-12.

That's why they aren't dropping football. Come hell or high water they aren't doing that. Someone has to be in last place may as well be them. But like everyone else they want that $$$.

Yep, the schools at this point can't afford to not be a presence on the BIG network, regardless how bad the team is.

I think Northwestern should go hard the other way. Say screw spending money on the new stadium. Go barebones with investing in your football program. Just keep cashing the soon to be $100M a year TV checks and invest in other sports. They could dominate all the Olympic sports (already do in a couple). And all it takes is a couple studs to win big ten titles in basketball (men and women). Maybe go after the best coach in every sport besides football and offer them a 25% raise to come to Northwestern. Shit, you got $100M a year to spend. Where is all that money gonna go anyway, especially if you aren't dumping it into football?

Hire the most innovative high school or junior college/D3 coaches for football. Pay them $500k instead of $7M. Maybe they win one or two games a year...probably not much different than what the next coach (making $5M to $7M) will do. Get a Hal Mumme/Mike Leach combo when they were still coaching high school or at Iowa Wesleyan. Or that high school coach who refuses to punt. Or maybe some smart as shit quality control assistant on an NFL team who has a new system to try.

Not because they might win, but because it'd be fun to try, wouldn't cost anything, and Northwestern probably isn't gonna win much more than that consistently anyway. Make that your brand.

Don't charge for football games. Maybe you get a raucous crowd of high school kids and other people who don't normally come to games. Let local food and beer vendors park food trucks in that grassy area behind the end zone. Implement a rule that no beer can cost more than $5, and it's buy one get one free every time Northwestern scores a TD.

Shit, you're still getting $100M a year. Dare the Big Ten to kick out a charter member of the conference who is putting out extremely competitive teams in every sport besides football.

I think Northwestern should go hard the other way. Say screw spending money on the new stadium. Go barebones with investing in your football program. Just keep cashing the soon to be $100M a year TV checks and invest in other sports. They could dominate all the Olympic sports (already do in a couple). And all it takes is a couple studs to win big ten titles in basketball (men and women). Maybe go after the best coach in every sport besides football and offer them a 25% raise to come to Northwestern. Shit, you got $100M a year to spend. Where is all that money gonna go anyway, especially if you aren't dumping it into football?

Hire the most innovative high school or junior college/D3 coaches for football. Pay them $500k instead of $7M. Maybe they win one or two games a year...probably not much different than what the next coach (making $5M to $7M) will do. Get a Hal Mumme/Mike Leach combo when they were still coaching high school or at Iowa Wesleyan. Or that high school coach who refuses to punt. Or maybe some smart as shit quality control assistant on an NFL team who has a new system to try.

Not because they might win, but because it'd be fun to try, wouldn't cost anything, and Northwestern probably isn't gonna win much more than that consistently anyway. Make that your brand.

Don't charge for football games. Maybe you get a raucous crowd of high school kids and other people who don't normally come to games. Let local food and beer vendors park food trucks in that grassy area behind the end zone. Implement a rule that no beer can cost more than $5, and it's buy one get one free every time Northwestern scores a TD.

Shit, you're still getting $100M a year. Dare the Big Ten to kick out a charter member of the conference who is putting out extremely competitive teams in every sport besides football.

I like this idea. And I would take it further. Build a new campus in Skokie and call it the "Second Chance Center." Everyone gets a second chance. "Oh, who is this Randolph Moss gentleman who got kicked out of Florida State? You know what he needs? A second chance..." Of course you put the school in Skokie to minimize the potential for one of the scholar-athletes to bring any harm to the main campus. NO WAIT. JESUS I'M BRILLIANT. You put the second chance campus in Harvard, Illinois. University of Northwestern at Harvard. OMG.

Latest posts