Ferentz Contract Bonus $$

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Kirk could cash in this year with incentives. Per the Des Moines Register:

- $225,000 if Iowa finishes among the top 10 of the final USA Today poll (as well as $275,000 for a top five finish, and $500,000 for a national championship).

- $175,000 for an outright Big Ten title, or $100,000 for a shared championship.

- $175,000 for appearing in a BCS bowl game.

Other incentives include $50,000 for being named national coach of the year, $25,000 for Big Ten coach of the year, and $75,000 for maintaining an annual graduation rate of more than 70 percent.
-----------------------

Count me as one that feels he is worth every dime he gets paid, because what he is doing at Iowa is not an easy thing to do.

You bet, KF earns his paycheck. If he reaches the high incentive goals, all Hawk fans will be very happy.

Count me in too. And for those who disagree and use the argument that our tax dollars should be spent elsewhere, Ferentz is not paid with tax dollars he is paid with athletic department dollars which includes no money from the university. All donations, ticket sales, merchandise, etc.

I read a figure where the Iowa football program generates $89 million dollars in revenue every year, one of the highest such figures in the country. Yeah, Ferentz most definately deserves whatever raise he has coming from all those incentives. But you know something, I have a feeling he will defer much of that money towards the school or to charity being the man he is.

He is worth every penny.

I have a feeling he splits his bonus up with the assistants. That sounds very much like a thing KF would do naturally.

Well in that case we should all hope he's raking in over a mil in bonuses, because that means we are (Mythical) National Champs.

Kirk Ferentz is everything that is right about college football.

With that in mind, I am glad he gets paid what he gets paid. Totally worth it.

Being an Iowa tax payer I wouldn't mind if they doubled his bonuses if he achieves 90% of them. The man is a complete class act

Keep in mind also that none of this is taxpayer money. In fact most of his salary is not paid for by the taxpayers.

He's worth the money. He generates tens of millions of dollars for the University. He is a good return on investment. Yes, it is somewhat disconcerting that football coaches make more than neurosurgeons, but even those guys profit from the publicity and money Kirk brings to the university.

Kirk earns his millions, unlike many of those crooks on Wall Street who make way more than him just in bonuses (hey, thanks for tanking the American economy and causing a global recession, here's 30 million bucks! Bravo!) He actually provides something of value.

The guy ALWAYS seems to do the right thing, can't think of another person I'd rather have representing the University of Iowa as the Head Football Coach.

I don't see how anyone can take issue with those incentive (performance based) bonuses. The return on investment for a BCS appearance and/or National Championship are significant. I'd imagine it to be aabout a 10:1 ratio.

I love that KF is paid more for a 70% graduation rate than for coach of the year awards. The priorites in these incentives are in the right order.

It is not only WHAT he is doing at IOWA, but HOW he does it. There isn't a classier coach in the NCAA or the NFL.

give him the money! he needs a couple more garage stalls! this guys house is amazing and his family deserves it for being a loyal coach to our team..we are getting more and more recruits just solely on the fact that they know kirk will be there for teh long haul..

I also think he's worth the money but it makes me wonder, do the other members of the coaching staff get bonuses for these type of achievements?

I am pleased to see the support on this web site for Kirk Ferentz and his bonus structure. If you win games and get national attention and extra money for the university, you should get paid for it! Has anyone else seen the article on the Des Moines Register web site about his bonus? The comments on that article are downright shameful.

The guy ALWAYS seems to do the right thing, can't think of another person I'd rather have representing the University of Iowa as the Head Football Coach.

Ron Zook, Steve Spurrier, Nick Sabin,.....any other former SEC coach. THey would all be trustworthy candidates :)

I echo the sentiments of every person on here who thinks that Kirk Ferentz is the classiest coach in college football. He embodies everything that is good about the state of Iowa and represents the entire state and university in a manner that is second to none.

Even during the rough early years and 2005-2007, he was still all of those things and even then, I would not have wanted anyone else coaching at Iowa or representing the University of Iowa.

As Iowa fans, we should all be so thankful that Kirk Ferentz is our head coach and will hopefully continue to be our coach for the near future.

Go Hawks!

Latest posts