@ "Fans" who left the game early

The main thing I don't like about fans leaving early is how the outside world portrays us as a fan base for it. On TV they made it a point to show and talk about the fans leaving. That saddens me. It can be used against us in recruiting and as how we are looked at as a loyal fan base. How loyal of a fan base are we in that we don't think we can win a winable game? This is just me. But when I pay to go to the game I go planning on seeing them till the end win lose or draw. Now others have the right to do what they want. Just too bad that other recruits and fan bases will see that and can use that against us....

I'm pretty sure all anyone has to look at from this game to hurt us in recruiting is to watch the game again.

I don't care if people leave early. They have that right. I did the same thing in 2012 during the Penn State game blowout.

However, if the game is close, I won't go anywhere.

For those who left, you missed out on a great comeback highlighted by an incredible atmosphere inside Kinnick Stadium. Those who stayed made their presence known. LOUD would be an understatement. You missed out on that, and you have to live with the fact that you missed out on it.

We left the game with 6 minutes left. Did I think we still had a chance to win? Absolutely... Did I give up on the Hawks? I don't think so, the fact is, we weren't having much fun watching the game anymore. Do I regret that we missed a great comeback against Ball State? Absolutely not...Go Hawks

As a former season ticket who gave up his tickets to have time to spend with my son who's too young to attend (will get back in the swing of things once older) I was always one that stayed. That said. If people want to leave let them. The special teams and offense were a horrendous let down for the first 54 minutes of the game and I can understand fans getting fed up. I'd rather see them leave early, and be harassed by those that stayed next week, then have them stay around and *****.

Despite what some think, many fans give up a lot to go to games whether it be financial or time related. They may have missed one hell of a finish, but if they aren't enjoying themselves or no longer want to be there then why stick around.

Buddy and I left the game at half to get a beer. We had 2 extra tickets to get back in, but while back at the tailgate, we figured why go back in to watch more of that crap? We just drank beers and watched it at the tailgate.

Yup....40+ year fan, season ticket holder, been to every away league stadium, 5 bowl games....I left when we punted with 5 mins left after seeing nothing but Yakety Sax for the other 3 quarters and 7 minutes.

Shame on me.

You and I have similar experiences, except I haven't been to 5 bowl games.

When we punted with 5 minutes left, I was absolutely sure it was over. I stayed for the rest of the game (and was mighty glad I did), but I don't fault anyone for leaving.

WAAAYYY too much was made of the number of people who left. It wasn't nearly as many as ESPeeN or some of the trolls here would have you believe. The stadium was pretty dang full and loud as hell near the end.

Everyone should stop whining about that. More fans stayed and lost their voices cheering than would stay at most any other stadium given the Yakety Sax-ness of it all.

You and I have similar experiences, except I haven't been to 5 bowl games.

When we punted with 5 minutes left, I was absolutely sure it was over. I stayed for the rest of the game (and was mighty glad I did), but I don't fault anyone for leaving.

WAAAYYY too much was made of the number of people who left. It wasn't nearly as many as ESPeeN or some of the trolls here would have you believe. The stadium was pretty dang full and loud as hell near the end.

Everyone should stop whining about that. More fans stayed and lost their voices cheering than would stay at most any other stadium given the Yakety Sax-ness of it all.

Agreed. Not even 10% of the fans left early.

They should call this thread, "The Real Housewives of HawkeyeNation"...five pages about fans leaving early...really and Kim Kardashian wears clothes that accentuate her breast and butt...let's talk about that.

Left sometime during 2nd quarter. Was bored and growing tired of watching Iowa play bad football, again.

As so many have pointed out (and no one seemed to take issue with it when Jon and all the others who "understand the game" talked about it for basketball) it's Lickliter football. It's one thing to be entertaining -- Iowa football is not. It's one thing to be competitive -- Iowa football does more to undermine itself, minimize or flat-out ignore it's strengths, and allow chance "bounces" to influence the outcome as any team out there.

I paid my "contribution" and bought my tickets for many years. I determine whether the performance, for which I paid a significant amount of money, is providing the entertainment value I expected -- and that goes from one performance to the next.

By the way ... to the jeeenyusses saying people "missed a great comeback". There's this wacky invention called flat screen, HD tv. There's these places all around the ped-mall that have lots and lots of them and they let you watch them for free. I got to see the entire 2nd half. Cheered just as wildly at the go ahead TD as if I was at Kinnick. I wasn't squeezed out by Tommy 2-ton and kneed in the back by Becky bovine. The music selection and overall "gameday atmosphere" was great. Best of all, I was enjoying a couple pints of Sam's summer seasonal. All in all, on this particular day and for this particular performance, I actually did receive an equitable return of entertainment value for my dollar.

Not ashamed. No regrets. Didn't miss a single thing worth seeing.

I do look forward to returning to Kinnick (like I've done for 7 Saturdays each fall for the last 10 years or so) next Saturday for the Iowa State game. I will bring the same expectation I always do -- that the Hawks play competent, competitive football and play to their capabilities and strengths -- the same hope for victory and will cheer loudly to encourage them to achieve that. I will also continue to reserve the right to be entertained to MY satisfaction and choose to stay or go, depending.

Most of all, I so look forward to that pius superfan that wants to give me crap for exercising my right to leave. I'll take my ribbing, sheepishly smile and tell them, "GFY, aZZhole!" Maybe it'll be Hawknick or SpiderRico.

If I was at the game I would have left at the end if the 3rd. Coaching decisions were horrible in this game. Starting with When you have 4 tail backs and you keep subbing them wtf would you bring in a 5th TB when the game is still early. Parker had 2 fumbles. TD and a FG were the result.

I cannot blame anybody for leaving early, it wasn't like we were struggling to beat Wisconsin or Ohio State it was Ball State! I jumped up and down after Iowa had come back and beaten them but 30 minutes after the game it wore off fast when the realization set in who it was that they had to come back and beat. I hope to see the day end when we struggle to beat MAC schools but I am not overly optimistic. My 9 year old son told me yesterday that he thought it was time Iowa got a new coach.

I stopped watching just before the 1st scoring drive in the 4th quarter. I had to go to an event with my wife. I was sad. And upset that I'm so attached to a football team. Later I called dad back in Iowa who told me that Iowa had in fact won the game. My mood changed. When I got home I watched it on DVR and caught up with the forum.

I didn't want the OP to be wagging his finger at me.

7:25, actually. I'm glad you raised the point that while "some" left, the vast majority stayed and the stadium was rocking.

7:25, actually. I'm glad you raised the point that while "some" left, the vast majority stayed and the stadium was rocking.

I never leave games early and stay until the bitter...or sweet end. That's just me. The stadium wasn't near full at all to start with...lots of space in the student section and high north endzone so when SOME people left it may have looked worse, but frankly, I think there were still tons of devoted Hawk fans left and they GOT LOUD at the end. I was frankly surprised that more people hadn't left earlier...like at the half.

The game was full of just bad breaks for the Hawks. It just seemed the ball literally didn't bounce our way when it should have. Questionable calls, bad spots,.. just seemed weird and that made it more frustrating. I was still holding out hope at the end and when they got the first TD, I was really hoping the D would come through. I don't know if the play calling was different at the end or they just finally got their heads out of their...the sand. But I was happy for the win.

Freak, love the sig... and I agree with your post. I was asked if i wanted to leave with about 10 minutes left in the game... I said hell-to-the-mf no! I think the phrase rats from a sinking ship was mentioned but I don't hold a grudge. Everyone else... get over it... ISUck is next, let's make them wish they stayed home.

Haha at people calling out fanship for leaving a game you paid for. Agree, I see a lot of back slapping around here. Don't act like the product on the field wasn't garbage for 3 1/2 quarters. Been going to Iowa games since I was a kid and have kept going as a student here at the University. Don't call out other fans. Sounding like Zach McCabe out there.

:mad: You should all be ashamed of yourselves for your lack of faith and confidence in your team. It was a two score game with plenty of time left. You missed IMO the greatest comeback and quarterback performance since 2011. You missed dominant play by the Iowa defense forcing a 3 and out then a turnover late. I stuck with the team yelling and screaming until the last snap. I unlike you was confidant in victory from start till finish despite the early and mid game setbacks. Next time reclaim your status as loyal Iowa fans by sticking with your team. These kids work their tails off for victory please do your part. That is all.

it's great you are an enthusiastic fan, but beyond that you can fvck off

We stayed until KF called for punt with 7 min left. My kids were bored, my wife was yelling at the crappy coaching (wow, takes a lot for that to happen), and I was so frustrated I was using all kinds of inappropriate language in front of the kids around me, including my own. I don't need that kind of aggravation, and so we left early, and I don't regret it one bit. We're lucky to win, pure and simple. Defense deserves all the praise for that win, 100%. The coaching staff, the offense, and the special teams all deserved to finish the game in front of an empty stadium after their performance for the first 54 minutes of the game.

Last edited:
Yup....40+ year fan, season ticket holder, been to every away league stadium, 5 bowl games....I left when we punted with 5 mins left after seeing nothing but Yakety Sax for the other 3 quarters and 7 minutes.

Shame on me.

I'm not sure who is more annoying, the OP or you for this post.

and I was so frustrated I was using all kinds of inappropriate language in front of the kids around me, including my own. I don't need that kind of aggravation

Lucky for your dog, Iowa ended up winning. I'm sure you would have beat the hell out of the poor thing if the Hawks didn't pull it off.

You really get that worked up over a football game? You sound like a great role model for your kids.

Ma yelling at the coaches and the old man cussin' up a storm.

Latest posts