Do you want Fran fired?

Do you want Fran fired after this season?

• Yes

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 52.0%

• Total voters
I didn't read all of the posts, so sorry if i missed a reference to it, but I say we put it to a vote. All those in favor of the coach staying say Aye. Those opposed Nay. Coach stays. This looks like Hoosiers...not just because we are a spoiled, arrogant fan-base (see Kirk Ferentz, Tom Davis)....but because Jimmy Chitwood and his friends leave right behind Fran. He can get us there. I won't cry if we lose him but....Lickliter....*shivers*....Alford *shivers*....in basketball we are DEFINITELY not a destination job. Be thankful he can recruit. Y'all (admin and arrogant hawk fans) ran out a good coach in the past and look wherr we are since Tom Davis left. Look!
I liked Mr. Davis. I really did. But we saw after the Raveling kids left he wasn’t much of a recruiter. Back to the same ol’ same ol’.

I liked Mr. Davis. I really did. But we saw after the Raveling kids left he wasn’t much of a recruiter. Back to the same ol’ same ol’.
I disagree. Now it was never quite as loaded as the 3 headed monster, but there was consistently NBA talent going through the program. That and had Street not died, they could have had a much more consistent run.

But honestly, Mr. Davis was a teacher of basketball first, recruiter second. At this point I don’t think Fran is either.

I disagree. Now it was never quite as loaded as the 3 headed monster, but there was consistently NBA talent going through the program. That and had Street not died, they could have had a much more consistent run.

But honestly, Mr. Davis was a teacher of basketball first, recruiter second. At this point I don’t think Fran is either.

This . . .

and mopkins is dumb

I doubt there are any fan bases that don't find faults in their coach when they lose. Losing sucks, and it's pretty easy to find reasons why it happens. 5 years ago, Fran sucked because no one could shoot the 3. After that, he sucked because he doesn't land transfers. Now he sucks because he doesn't have a point guard. One thing that has stayed consistent is he sucks for defense. But some years, that was just ignorant fans not understanding the difference between total points given up, and adjusted defense.
The response to the product on the floor is clearly the basketball IQ of Iowa fans

Acie earl, Ryan Bowen, Ricky Davis (1 and done) are the only players that Tom Davis put in the NBA for longer than a cup of coffee. Les Jepsen (52 games in the NBA), JR Koch (none) and Russ Millard (none) were drafted. In 13 seasons??? Why do people have completely skewed memories when it comes to Tom Davis? How this equates to "consistent NBA talent going through the program" is beyond me.

Acie earl, Ryan Bowen, Ricky Davis (1 and done) are the only players that Tom Davis put in the NBA for longer than a cup of coffee. Les Jepsen (52 games in the NBA), JR Koch (none) and Russ Millard (none) were drafted. In 13 seasons??? Why do people have completely skewed memories when it comes to Tom Davis? How this equates to "consistent NBA talent going through the program" is beyond me.
Prob should give him partial credit for Dean Oliver and didn't Matt Bullard play a while in the NBA?

Were so bad this year I think people’s expectations are being lowered. Fran needs to win a damn B1G tournament game next year and win an NCAA tourney game. Making a play in game and losing isn’t good enough.

Prob should give him partial credit for Dean Oliver and didn't Matt Bullard play a while in the NBA?

He also had that pg transfer from Nebraska who was an all-american and was projected as a first rounder and yet never made the NBA. He did play professionally overseas.
Davis wasn't a great recruiter, but he did bring in some studs. Didn't Oliver play professionally somewhere? He had an Ohio shooting guard with awesome talent but a fried brain?
I think Tom got more out of his kids than other coaches would've. I don't see raveling winning 30 games in 86.
That's what bothers me about Fran and KF. Whereas I think Tom got more out of his roster, I think those two get less out of their rosters.
EDIT: Andre Woolridge

Last edited:
Few things. Bullard. Woolridge is/was better than anyone Fran has had. Kingsbury woulda had a shot if he coulda stopped drinking. And Street would have been in the NBA.

But the biggest testament to Mr. Davis is the fact that Ryan Bowen became such a wonderful player. If Bowen had played for Fran, he would be Baer.

He also had that pg transfer from Nebraska who was an all-american and was projected as a first rounder and yet never made the NBA. He did play professionally overseas.
Davis wasn't a great recruiter, but he did bring in some studs. Didn't Oliver play professionally somewhere? He had an Ohio shooting guard with awesome talent but a fried brain?
I think Tom got more out of his kids than other coaches would've. I don't see raveling winning 30 games in 86.
That's what bothers me about Fran and KF. Whereas I think Tom got more out of his roster, I think those two get less out of their rosters.
EDIT: Andre Woolridge
Ferentz is light years ahead of Fran.

Reactions: DJL
Few things. Bullard. Woolridge is/was better than anyone Fran has had. Kingsbury woulda had a shot if he coulda stopped drinking. And Street would have been in the NBA.

But the biggest testament to Mr. Davis is the fact that Ryan Bowen became such a wonderful player. If Bowen had played for Fran, he would be Baer.
Those guys were great college players. You said NBA talent. Two different things. I did forget Bullard.
I will give Tom Davis this: I'd love to put him in charge of teaching our front court players how to play in the post/rebound.

Those guys were great college players. You said NBA talent. Two different things. I did forget Bullard.
I will give Tom Davis this: I'd love to put him in charge of teaching our front court players how to play in the post/rebound.
Well, it’s still a lot more than 1 for Fran

Dean Oliver goes into the cup of coffee catagory. He played a grand total of 25 games. I did forget Bullard. So, even if I add those 2, that's a grand total of 8 players in 13 seasons and 4 of them played more than a full season's worth of games. Certainly not enough "NBA talent" to warrant bragging about. That's less NBA talent than Tom Davis had on his '86-87 season roster.

Ferentz is light years ahead of Fran.

That's fair. But no way was Iowa an 8 win team in 2016/17. That was classic Kirk ignoring his roster to enforce his brutal, predictable, boring offense strategy. A pair of 1,000 yard rushers and he can't beat a directional school . . . a pair of all-Americans on defense and he can't beat Purdue. Don't get me started on the 2012/2014 cratering.

That's fair. But no way was Iowa an 8 win team in 2016/17. That was classic Kirk ignoring his roster to enforce his brutal, predictable, boring offense strategy. A pair of 1,000 yard rushers and he can't beat a directional school . . . a pair of all-Americans on defense and he can't beat Purdue. Don't get me started on the 2014 cratering.
Jon expected 6-6 so you’re wrong.

Latest posts