Do you want Fran fired?

Do you want Fran fired after this season?

• Yes

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 51 52.0%

• Total voters
That's fair. But no way was Iowa an 8 win team in 2016/17. That was classic Kirk ignoring his roster to enforce his brutal, predictable, boring offense strategy. A pair of 1,000 yard rushers and he can't beat a directional school . . . a pair of all-Americans on defense and he can't beat Purdue. Don't get me started on the 2012/2014 cratering.
He definitely under achieves but at least he has achieved. Fran’s peak is the equivalent of a pinstripe Bowl.

He also had that pg transfer from Nebraska who was an all-american and was projected as a first rounder and yet never made the NBA. He did play professionally overseas.
Davis wasn't a great recruiter, but he did bring in some studs. Didn't Oliver play professionally somewhere? He had an Ohio shooting guard with awesome talent but a fried brain?
I think Tom got more out of his kids than other coaches would've. I don't see raveling winning 30 games in 86.
That's what bothers me about Fran and KF. Whereas I think Tom got more out of his roster, I think those two get less out of their rosters.
EDIT: Andre Woolridge

Raveling: great recruiter; below average head coach; terrible bench coach.

Few things. Bullard. Woolridge is/was better than anyone Fran has had. Kingsbury woulda had a shot if he coulda stopped drinking. And Street would have been in the NBA.

But the biggest testament to Mr. Davis is the fact that Ryan Bowen became such a wonderful player. If Bowen had played for Fran, he would be Baer.

I loved watching Ryan Bowen, I was a season ticket holder for the Nuggets when he came in. He was just as fun to watch as he worked his rear off to be an NBA player. I approached him at a mall once and yelled the typical " go Hawks" over to him as we all quite often do. He literally ran over to me, asked me if I went to Iowa(which I did) we chatted for a bit and he asked me for my phone number as he said he didnt really know anyone in Denver. Of course I never heard from him, but thought he was such a nice classy Iowa kid.

And I fully admit that Mr. Davis is my favorite coach ever. Pump fakes and bounce passes and jumping jacks on the baseline (and Kingsbury) shaped my youth basketball love.
When kingsbury would shoot from the volleyball lines it floated my boat. He was my favorite player

I liked Mr. Davis. I really did. But we saw after the Raveling kids left he wasn’t much of a recruiter. Back to the same ol’ same ol’.
Tom Davis coached what 13-14 yrs here, not sure how much eligibility kids had back then but it's doubtful ravelings recruits had much to do with a sweet 16 and NCAA appearances after 1989-90....do You? Who recruited those players? I'd take most of those players today that always won first round ncaa tourney games.

I have said I thought he should get another year but I’ve moved to being on the fence. If we can’t even compete and be in games, either Frans lost the team or it’s a talent issue and either way the only fix is a change at the top.

It’s time for Fran and the team to respond... have a come to Jesus moment or whatever it takes but if they can’t play better to end the year... I’ll be ready to get off the fence and fully on board for a change.

I need at least some light at the end of the tunnel and hope for the future.

Last edited:
Acie earl, Ryan Bowen, Ricky Davis (1 and done) are the only players that Tom Davis put in the NBA for longer than a cup of coffee. Les Jepsen (52 games in the NBA), JR Koch (none) and Russ Millard (none) were drafted. In 13 seasons??? Why do people have completely skewed memories when it comes to Tom Davis? How this equates to "consistent NBA talent going through the program" is beyond me.
I dont know, maybe that in the 19 seasons since Mr. Davis we have been in the ncaa tourney 6 times (5 traditional, play-in is OUT of the tourney during Davis era)...we went 9 times in his 13 seasons, 1 elite 8, 2 sweet 16 appearances. Almost 20 years, 6 appearances. We've had the joy of 5 day one ncaa madness excitement in the past basically 20 yrs. Yea, who's Mr. Davis? You sit down right now and pen a letter of apology. Thank you Mr. Davis.

I dont know, maybe that in the 19 seasons since Mr. Davis we have been in the ncaa tourney 6 times (5 traditional, play-in is OUT of the tourney during Davis era)...we went 9 times in his 13 seasons, 1 elite 8, 2 sweet 16 appearances. Almost 20 years, 6 appearances. We've had the joy of 5 day one ncaa madness excitement in the past basically 20 yrs. Yea, who's Mr. Davis? You sit down right now and pen a letter of apology. Thank you Mr. Davis.
I'll reply to my own post...THIS is also why everyone bagging on KF should sit down and SHUT UP! Those who wanted better than Mr. Davis are just like you. The basketball program was pretty much at the same level as the football team is nationally. Look where basketball is now. Fire KF! I hate winning. And to think it can't happen after the past 20 yrs of Iowa basketball? No way. Thank you KF! Thank you Hayden!

I liked Mr. Davis. I really did. But we saw after the Raveling kids left he wasn’t much of a recruiter. Back to the same ol’ same ol’.
And again, "same ole, same ole" was 9 ncaa tourney appearances in 13 seasons. How have the 6 in 19 seasons tasted? Give me same ole same ole PLEASE!!!!

First, you need to fire Barta who's strength seems to be fund raising not overseeing coaches and teams. Then hire an AD that will make Fran, Kirk, and other coaches accountable for their teams' performances. How does a team that lost only one player from last year's team, won 7 or their last 10 Big 10 games in 2017 and then in the NIT tourney loose in OT by 2 points in the 2nd round to the eventual tournament champion be so bad this year? Sure they miss Jok's scoring but they don't miss his defense. Plus they bring in 2 highly rated big men for this year's team. Seems like the Hawks should be at least as good as they were last year. Instead they are awful. This year's performance doesn't make sense. I think problem is in the locker room. You need a AD that is proactive who will dig in to determine the problem and then quickly solve it. Obviously, Fran is not going to solve the problem by himself.

I'll reply to my own post...THIS is also why everyone bagging on KF should sit down and SHUT UP! Those who wanted better than Mr. Davis are just like you. The basketball program was pretty much at the same level as the football team is nationally. Look where basketball is now. Fire KF! I hate winning. And to think it can't happen after the past 20 yrs of Iowa basketball? No way. Thank you KF! Thank you Hayden!

That's all you've ever brought to the table. Telling people to shut-up cuz yu can't handle the truth. You're weak and stupid.

First, you need to fire Barta who's strength seems to be fund raising not overseeing coaches and teams. Then hire an AD that will make Fran, Kirk, and other coaches accountable for their teams' performances. How does a team that lost only one player from last year's team, won 7 or their last 10 Big 10 games in 2017 and then in the NIT tourney loose in OT by 2 points in the 2nd round to the eventual tournament champion be so bad this year? Sure they miss Jok's scoring but they don't miss his defense. Plus they bring in 2 highly rated big men for this year's team. Seems like the Hawks should be at least as good as they were last year. Instead they are awful. This year's performance doesn't make sense. I think problem is in the locker room. You need a AD that is proactive who will dig in to determine the problem and then quickly solve it. Obviously, Fran is not going to solve the problem by himself.

this

He gets no credit from me, for his seasons with Raveling's recruits. My opinion of his coaching begins in 1989. I think Dr.Tom could apologize for taking a roster full of NBA players and failing to win a conference title or reaching a Final Four.

He gets no credit from me, for his seasons with Raveling's recruits. My opinion of his coaching begins in 1989. I think Dr.Tom could apologize for taking a roster full of NBA players and failing to win a conference title or reaching a Final Four.

Davis's first team won 30 games and went to the Elite 8. Finished 3rd in the conference behind Indiana, who was a #1 seed and won it all, and behind a pretty salty Purdue team. Top half of the league was darned tough that year. Iowa lost in the Elite 8 to the top seed in the region, by 3 points. Mr. Davis owes us no apology for that season. There ARE other good teams in the NCAA Tournament, believe it or not, and it's never really a matter of simply breezing through to the Final Four in a one and done situation. Not doing so doesn't make one a failure imo.

I do agree that his first few years were built on what he inherited, but after that, he had one team that was a 4 seed (after losing arguably the heart and soul of the team - might've been a 2 or 3 otherwise), another team that was a 6, and a 5 that went to the Sweet 16. Not too shabby. None of our coaches since then have really been able to sniff that.. Save the 2005-06 team, and we all know how that turned out.

So yeah, I've gotta stick up for Mr. Davis a bit here.

Davis's first team won 30 games and went to the Elite 8. Finished 3rd in the conference behind Indiana, who was a #1 seed and won it all, and behind a pretty salty Purdue team. Top half of the league was darned tough that year. Iowa lost in the Elite 8 to the top seed in the region, by 3 points. Mr. Davis owes us no apology for that season. There ARE other good teams in the NCAA Tournament, believe it or not, and it's never really a matter of simply breezing through to the Final Four in a one and done situation. Not doing so doesn't make one a failure imo.

I do agree that his first few years were built on what he inherited, but after that, he had one team that was a 4 seed (after losing arguably the heart and soul of the team - might've been a 2 or 3 otherwise), another team that was a 6, and a 5 that went to the Sweet 16. Not too shabby. None of our coaches since then have really been able to sniff that.. Save the 2005-06 team, and we all know how that turned out.

So yeah, I've gotta stick up for Mr. Davis a bit here.
He was a mediocre coach, IMO.

Latest posts