Do we want Iowa State to win tonight?

Oh yeah, I knew I was forgetting someone. Jok may be good, but then again the argument was just made that freshmen are unreliable.

ISU's freshman sharpshooter, Matt Thomas, is arguably the best HS shooter in the nation right now. It will be fun to see he and Jok chuck it against each other.

Freshman are unreliable, as anyone who has watched Iowa play this year can tell you (Niang has been remarkable consistent though), but Iowa is in a good place in that Jok is not being counted on to be a go to go. He's probably going to be a 10 minute a game player to start the season, if he earns more minutes than that, great if not I think we'll still be in good shape.

Thomas will probably be a very good player, but he's going to be counted on to play a lot more minutes and contribute a lot more than Jok next season.

I like Hoiberg...always have even as a player. I sometimes like the players on Iowa State's team...the last couple year's for instance. I don't like this year's group. Most of my ongoing problems are with ISU fans. It's unfortunate but true. I'm on a Hawkeye board minding my own business trying to hang with Hawk fans but someone shows up looking to stir the pot. I hope the Clones keep winning...helps our cause whether you like it or not.

No, just admitting that Hoiberg knows how things work. Transfers are part of the game now. No one in their right mind would deny that it has been a overwhelming success. NCAAs in 2 of 3 years? Sign me up.

Last edited:
Freshman are unreliable, as anyone who has watched Iowa play this year can tell you (Niang has been remarkable consistent though), but Iowa is in a good place in that Jok is not being counted on to be a go to go. He's probably going to be a 10 minute a game player to start the season, if he earns more minutes than that, great if not I think we'll still be in good shape.

Thomas will probably be a very good player, but he's going to be counted on to play a lot more minutes and contribute a lot more than Jok next season.
Very true. Will be fun watching it play out. My guess is that ISU misses the tourney next year, but returns the next two, which I would be fine with.

I want both Iowa and ISU to win out through their respective tournaments. Hate me, but it is what it is.

I like Hoiberg...always have even as a player. I sometimes like the players on Iowa State's team...the last couple year's for instance. I don't like this year's group. Most of my ongoing problems are with ISU fans. It's unfortunate but true. I'm on a Hawkeye board minding trying to hang with Hawk fans but someone shows up looking to stir the pot. I hope the Clones keep winning...helps our cause whether you like it or not.
I'm not too scary. I would love to talk rivalry hoops with you if you like.

I watch all the Hawkeye games, so I at least feel somewhat qualified to compare/contrast.

I don't have a problem with your posts in general and I'm guessing we could watch a game together and get along just fine. I can't say the same about many others unfortunately.

I watch all the Hawkeye games, so I at least feel somewhat qualified to compare/contrast.

I don't have a problem with your posts in general and I'm guessing we could watch a game together and get along just fine. I can't say the same about many others unfortunately.
I get along with Hawk fans just fine in real life. It's the anonymity of the interwebs that allows people to act not like they would in real life.

I do throw some barbs your way here, but in general they are meant to be good natured. I have been sucked in at times, but it seems that this board has gotten nicer recently for some reason. There are some good dudes here.

Cy ...I have always thought your were a pretty good guy.. for a Clown fan. But I'm curious, where does the champ come in?:p

I'm interested to see what Fred can do going forward without all the instant help for high level transfers. Kudos to Fred for doing what he's doing with them though. I will say that he has managed these teams well and now we will see what kind of coach he is next season.

Fran could be just as successful as Fred with that experience and talent though too. Could Fred be as successful as Fran with Iowa's roster? Hard to say, we don't know what he can do with youth and inexperience yet.

Fran has taken one of the worst programs in the NCAA from a BCS conference just a few years ago to brink of the NCAA tourney dependent on unheralded recruits (White, Basabe, Marble) and the 3rd youngest team in the country and has them on the bubble and possibly finishing 6th in the toughest league in the country this year. That's d@mn impressive.

Fred has 5 seniors and many of them talented transfers and has near identical record as Iowa and 5th place finish in the Big 12. I thought they would be a little better honestly.

If it takes Fran a bit longer to build a foundation for sustained success for years to come I can wait.

Stop acting like ISU is a great team. Iowa would be on the right side of the bubble had Fran not scheduled like an idiot.

We're comparing apples to oranges when comparing Iowa and Iowa State. Hoiberg and Fran took different approaches. The quality of the conferences and opponents is completely different. The Big Ten is far better this year and the Big 12 is better other years. The best and only real comparison is the game we play head to head. Iowa won. This is settled for the 2012-2013 season...and this was before we started playing our best ball.

We're comparing apples to oranges when comparing Iowa and Iowa State. Hoiberg and Fran took different approaches. The quality of the conferences and opponents is completely different. The Big Ten is far better this year and the Big 12 is better other years. The best and only real comparison is the game we play head to head. Iowa won. This is settled for the 2012-2013 season...and this was before we started playing our best ball.

It was early in the season and iowa had home court. The teams are different now and they are at least comparable. Regardless I am more concerned with who the selection committee thinks is better.

Latest posts