Directed to Jon Miller

Thank you, Jon, for participating in this thread. I have had my say in this matter and look forward to the many, many good discussions that take place on Hawkeyenation.

Internet message boards are pretty far down the list on teenagers internet media favorites.
Not being a teenager but rather a father I would disagree. I can also show you posts on other boards from kids posting their recruiting info trying to get attention. I would say rick brown is less attractive to an iowa recruit than this board.

Guess I disagree. The fact that people want to dismiss it tells me they think its ok. Its not. Time to grow up and quit pretending saying things on Twitter or online is above repercussions. If it hurtd the team then it isn't jons fault or anyone who retweeted it. It is the sad bastards who get off on these things that are the issue.

The people that tweeted at McCabe are fine (not in the sense that I like what they did, but in the sense that the ensuing crap-storm didn't harm them), and probably wanted the attention to begin with.

There are many ways to be dishonest. One can lie, one can omit a fact, or one can tell a truth without context. Do you remember a few years back when the media went crazy talking about shark attacks? It was during the summer, it was the slow news season and they reported each attack as if shark attacks were on the rise. It turns out that summer wasn't out of the ordinary in regards to shark attacks.

This McCabe twitter thing is like the shark attack summer, it's been blown out of proportion. It happens at every school, the only real news here is how poorly a senior handled it.

I think it ironic that the "White Knights" in the media and coaching community continually stress how these are attacks on "kids"; I would bet nearly all the people who tweeted at McCabe were his contemporaries or younger. I wonder if any of them are over age 25. Aren't they just "kids" too?

A better way to handle it when people attack you via Twitter, is to just retweet what they said. Now the whole world sees what they said and who they are.

If we can learn anything from Royce white, this is a terrible idea. #bewell

If we can learn anything from Royce white, this is a terrible idea. #bewell
No it's not. People have already tweeted it, so it's out there. This shows an even wider range of people what the dbags are saying. Steve Deace does it all the time and it's great.

Don't try to learn from royce white.

The people that tweeted at McCabe are fine (not in the sense that I like what they did, but in the sense that the ensuing crap-storm didn't harm them), and probably wanted the attention to begin with.

There are many ways to be dishonest. One can lie, one can omit a fact, or one can tell a truth without context. Do you remember a few years back when the media went crazy talking about shark attacks? It was during the summer, it was the slow news season and they reported each attack as if shark attacks were on the rise. It turns out that summer wasn't out of the ordinary in regards to shark attacks.

This McCabe twitter thing is like the shark attack summer, it's been blown out of proportion. It happens at every school, the only real news here is how poorly a senior handled it.
I know there is no repercussions to the individuals now. However to just accept it is sad.

I think it ironic that the "White Knights" in the media and coaching community continually stress how these are attacks on "kids"; I would bet nearly all the people who tweeted at McCabe were his contemporaries or younger. I wonder if any of them are over age 25. Aren't they just "kids" too?

No, because they probably have student loans or jobs. That's the true measure of adulthood.

You didn't stomp on a cockroach, you gave him a bullhorn and potentially hurt the program going forward. Every college basketball or football player has had at least one idiot insult them on twitter- be it their own fans after a mistake (Jeff Woody blogged about it recently, and Hoiberg mentioned that Matt Thomas had people go after him on twitter after a poor shooting performance), or opposing fans. The difference is that the doting mothers and White Knight wannabes that cover the Hawkeyes decided to make a big deal out of it. Now we have former athletes talking about how terrible the fans are, and people like Rick Brown retweeting every disparaging remark. Recruits follow these reporters; if you were a 2015 basketball player without any connections to the state, would you consider coming to Iowa after this week- assuming you had similar offers to go elsewhere?

So let me get this straight, you feel that because the local media is putting this out there that the fans (some of them) are idiots who personally attack their own players online will hurt recruiting?

OF COURSE IT WILL!!!!!! But who is at at fault here? The media for following the story or the idiot fans who personally attack it's own players?

It's the idiot fans, not the media.

No it's not. People have already tweeted it, so it's out there. This shows an even wider range of people what the dbags are saying. Steve Deace does it all the time and it's great.

Don't try to learn from royce white.

Does that stop them? Or does it just give the lunatics greater voice? What is gained by doing it? If it makes you feel better to try and shame them I get it but these are idiots incapable of rational behavior and you can't shame the shameless.

So let me get this straight, you feel that because the local media is putting this out there that the fans (some of them) are idiots who personally attack their own players online will hurt recruiting?

OF COURSE IT WILL!!!!!! But who is at at fault here? The media for following the story or the idiot fans who personally attack it's own players?

It's the idiot fans, not the media.

No, it's the media. This ain't a story, bud. If fans acting like idiots was a story, the Press Citizen on Sundays during the fall would be thicker than the Sunday New York Times. Hell, we don't even know if the trolls going off are Hawk fans. The twitter is far easier to troll than HawkeyeNation or CryFan, where trolling attempts are met with an iron-fisted moderator wielding a powerful ban hammer. Trolling on an unmoderated forum like the twitter is about as big of a news story as "water is wet."

I wonder how much bigger this discussion got because JM retweeted and posted the retweet? Someone else may have done it anyway, but it really seemed to take off with JM's post.

No, because they probably have student loans or jobs. That's the true measure of adulthood.

To me, showing maturity is the true measure of adulthood, not whether you have a job or a student loan. When I went to college, I knew plenty of people who had student loans and/or worked part time jobs yet were about as immature as you can get.

I had a job when I was 17.. flipping burgers. So I was not a kid?

We don't know who these people are who tweeted that crap on McCabe's account. All we know is that they are some anonymous blowhard with a Twitter handle. Do you know who I am? Do I know who you are? You could be an 82 year old woman, for all I know. Yeah, unlikely, but I don't KNOW anything but what you tell me, and even then I'd have to trust you are telling me the truth. Essentially, this is all 100% anonymous.

Good lord. I'm ready to just talk some basketball again. I'm glad there's a game tonight, and 2 more this week.

Last edited:

Latest posts