Directed to Jon Miller

I addressed that valid objection in a couple of posts since then.

Your "valid objections" merely point the finger at the media (for blowing it out of proportion) and Zach (for handling it the way he did).

If in your OPINION, you feel that is a valid objection then fine but that doesn't make what the people did "OK" nor should anyone just let them off the hook and point the finger solely at the media and Zach, which by your posts you seem to look more down on them (media and Zach) and give the haters get a pass. Maybe that isn't what you're doing but that is the way it looks in my OPINION.

Does that stop them? Or does it just give the lunatics greater voice? What is gained by doing it? If it makes you feel better to try and shame them I get it but these are idiots incapable of rational behavior and you can't shame the shameless.
That is certainly true.

Reading through this thread is pretty embarrasing. I'm sure some of it is trolling but wow it is full of butthurt and dumb opinions.

You didn't stomp on a cockroach, you gave him a bullhorn and potentially hurt the program going forward. Every college basketball or football player has had at least one idiot insult them on twitter- be it their own fans after a mistake (Jeff Woody blogged about it recently, and Hoiberg mentioned that Matt Thomas had people go after him on twitter after a poor shooting performance), or opposing fans. The difference is that the doting mothers and White Knight wannabes that cover the Hawkeyes decided to make a big deal out of it. Now we have former athletes talking about how terrible the fans are, and people like Rick Brown retweeting every disparaging remark. Recruits follow these reporters; if you were a 2015 basketball player without any connections to the state, would you consider coming to Iowa after this week- assuming you had similar offers to go elsewhere?

Maybe people will stop behaving like morons if they are called out because or moronic behavior?

I think it ironic that the "White Knights" in the media and coaching community continually stress how these are attacks on "kids"; I would bet nearly all the people who tweeted at McCabe were his contemporaries or younger. I wonder if any of them are over age 25. Aren't they just "kids" too?

While I get what you are saying, I have seen far too many instances of grown men posting garbage attacks on players on sites like this and other message board forums, or calling names or making very derogatory comments. Some of them are banned and still going strong on other forums.

Your "valid objections" merely point the finger at the media (for blowing it out of proportion) and Zach (for handling it the way he did).

If in your OPINION, you feel that is a valid objection then fine but that doesn't make what the people did "OK" nor should anyone just let them off the hook and point the finger solely at the media and Zach, which by your posts you seem to look more down on them (media and Zach) and give the haters get a pass. Maybe that isn't what you're doing but that is the way it looks in my OPINION.

I don't think you understood what I meant by valid objection. I was saying you have a good point.

cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

Jon can do what he wants. It's his site. I went through this thread and counted. There are 7 posters in this thread on my ignore list. I think some on my ignore list are consistently negative. I will never see eye to eye with others...for whatever reason. I don't expect them to be banned. I just choose not to interact with them for the most part. There are other times where I do interact with them.

HEY, WINDSOR!!

Just checkin'.

Maybe people will stop behaving like morons if they are called out because or moronic behavior?

this would also be my hope, if your buddy sees you posting stupid sh*t at a player maybe he calls you out in person, or better yet beats some sense into you.

I dont have Twitter so pardon me if this question is a bit ignorant.

By retweeting McCabe's tweet how exactly does that call out the idiots who were sending negative tweets Zach's way?

Does it link them somehow to McCabe's twitter so you can see all the garbage being posted?

If not, I think it would draw more attention on McCabe and if people did the work to seek out the negative tweets directed his way that would be the only way to see them.

Look, I've been doing this for 15 years...I've built four or five communities of over 40,000 users minimum.

You cant actually believe people are going to stop acting moronic. You have been doing this for 15 years, as stated above, and there was probably stupidity back in 1999 or 2000. Its not going anywhere, its becoming more widespread.

I dont have Twitter so pardon me if this question is a bit ignorant.

By retweeting McCabe's tweet how exactly does that call out the idiots who were sending negative tweets Zach's way?

Does it link them somehow to McCabe's twitter so you can see all the garbage being posted?

If not, I think it would draw more attention on McCabe and if people did the work to seek out the negative tweets directed his way that would be the only way to see them.

If someone tweets "Hey you suck and other unflattering comments", by retweeting you are sending this out to everyone who follows you. They can see who the person was and what was said.

Like, back in the day if someone sent a letter ripping you, you could post the letter on the dorm bulletin board for all to see.

Someone else will probably explain this in a much more clear manner.:cool:

If someone tweets "Hey you suck and other unflattering comments", by retweeting you are sending this out to everyone who follows you. They can see who the person was and what was said.

Like, back in the day if someone sent a letter ripping you, you could post the letter on the dorm bulletin board for all to see.

But if that letter was a response to an inflammatory letter you wished you had not written (and you also posted your own letter), you probably did yourself more harm by posting it.

Thats my point, if Jon just retweeted what Zach said how do people know what McCabe was responding to?

Or did Jon retweet all the negative crap being spewed at McCabe as well?

this would also be my hope, if your buddy sees you posting stupid sh*t at a player maybe he calls you out in person, or better yet beats some sense into you.

Or joins in because it's freaking twatter and it's completely meaningless. This is akin to someone killing my level 4 Palladin Mage with his level 7 Dragon-tiger just because he/she doesn't like me. Twitter is that level of stupid. The level of wtf you get if you had a funeral in real life for your level 4 Palladin Mage that was killed in World of Warcraft.

that's what, about 35% of the posters on the thread up to that point?

that's a heck of list....

You are correct. I have a very good friend that whose political beliefs are completely opposite mine. He was always trying to convince me he was right. Neither of us was ever going to budge. I told him neither of us was ever going to change our minds so politics is off the table as a discussion point for us. And we are still very good friends.

There are some posters on here that are consistently negative, abrasive, confrontational, etc. They aren't going to change and I'm not interested in what they have to say so it's best if we just avoid discussions altogether. It doesn't mean we aren't all Hawk fans.

But if that letter was a response to an inflammatory letter you wished you had not written (and you also posted your own letter), you probably did yourself more harm by posting it.

Correct. Once you respond to it, you've ruined your chance to make a point.

Latest posts