Cougill ruled academically ineligible

There goes the season. . .

Seriously, how do you get academically inelligible if you are on scholarship? I have never understood that. Don't they have a lot of supports for those guys?

tv, xbox, chicks, bars, parties, don't go to class, don't study, in the wrong major, ill- prepared academically for college, lousy time managment skills, etc.

In other words, pretty much how any regular student flunks out.

This doesn't help the Hawkeyes in anyway this season. Brennan is the best true center that the Hawkeyes had, and was adept at the outlet pass to kick off the fast break.

The Hawkeyes options at the center position are Cole and Brommer now.

Iowa's recruiting for 2011 probably just changed drastically. I expect they will be going center hunting this July.

Don't dismiss Archie...

I actually wonder if Ogelsby get's an offer now. We were already on the hunt for two big men in the '11 class anyway(along with Coleman). Perhaps the opening gives us a chance at a player like Josh.
I think we offer him rather quickly now.

he used the words "system" and "can't guarantee he'll be back at Iowa". I think this is the end for Cougs in an Iowa uni.

Ditto. He is not coming back to Iowa ... I think Fran would rather use his schollie on a more athletic player. Run and gun is not Cougill ... Honestly, Cougill would have a hard time starting at Drake or UNI (Not a knock against either) but neither is a Big 10 program ... I think this is a blessing in disguise ...

After all the crap in the morning paper about staying and his grades were fine. Let the door hit ya...

Brennan seems to get a lot of bad press. Lickliter really didn't give him a chance to develop his game. I do remember his best game. The win at Indiana was one of the highlights of the past season. We would not have won without Brennen's threes. Good luck, Brennan. I also don't expect to see him back in the fold. Sad but real. I am one of those who believed he would develop adequately in time, however his weight, if not controlled, would not have fit in the uptempo scheme. Fran seems to like his players to succeed academically. I anxiously await Franball.

I honestly can't wait to read what that newspaper in Sioux City says about it. They hammered Iowa over his PT and play last year.

Give the kid a break. Some of you need to step back and look at yourselves before passing judgement on someone else.

I do not know what happened and really do not care.

Not that this is truly the issue, but look at the conditions he was under during his first year. He was on a team that was getting beaten most games and apparently had a coach that did not communicate to his players. I do not know about all of you, but getting motivated to complete school responsibilities would not have been that easy to do. Again, I am not saying this had anything to do with it as the responsibility is Brennan's to succeed or fail and hopefully this will be a good lesson for him that he will be able to grow from and become a stronger/better person as a result.

Will he ever be a Hawk again, I do not know, but if he turns things around and works on his game, I sure would welcome him back.

i for one was really pulling for cougill. i think it's sad when a kid misses out on a free education. really don't see how he makes it back to iowa, because the difference between shonn and brennan is that you have very limited schollies in b-ball to "take a chance" on someone. study hard, brennan, and we'll hopefully see you soon.

Losing Cougs for next year is going to cost Iowa a win maybe two but in the grand scheme of things its probably better that he and Iowa part ways.

Fran can say he will re-recruit Cougs but I think that is just coach speak. Fran has a plan and will be bringing in someone who better fits with the changes he is instituting in the men's basketball program.

Give him a break? Give me a break! He NEVER showed the commitment needed to be Big Ten athlete. This goes all the way back to when he got his scholly offer and was told to get in better shape. Did he? Ever?

Now we find out he is lazy in his schoolwork too!

Please apologists, get over it and start calling it like it is.

And Please! Don't let him back at Iowa unless he starts to show he cares more about basketball than the buffet.

Latest posts