Conference Title in Basketball Overrated

I'm not saying teams have to win the national championship game. But I'll certainly remember 11-seed Syracuse beating Arizona State, TCU, and Michigan State over the span of 5 days for a lot longer than I'll remember Michigan State winning the Big ten regular season title this year.

I still remember VCU's 2011 run from play-in to the final four, but I couldn't tell you who won the 2011 Big Ten conference or tournament title that year....can anyone? Almost all of us will remember UMBC's upset of #1 Virginia way more than we'll remember anything else from this season.

Its not right, its not fair, and its silly, but people remember and care about the tournament way more than they remember the regular season.
There are about 100 teams that fit your description, from the past 40 years. 99% of them you don't remember and neither do I. It's not our jobs as Iowa fans to remember other team's conference title history. I can tell you exactly when our last BIG title was and who was the coach. An MSU fan can tell you how many BIG titles Izzo has won and describe the roster make ups of all of those teams. I can tell you exactly how many BIG titles KF has won. I can tell you how many HF has won.

There are about 100 teams that fit your description, from the past 40 years. 99% of them you don't remember and neither do I. It's not our jobs as Iowa fans to remember other team's conference title history. I can tell you exactly when our last BIG title was and who was the coach. An MSU fan can tell you how many BIG titles Izzo has won and describe the roster make ups of all of those teams. I can tell you exactly how many BIG titles KF has won. I can tell you how many HF has won.

Which season is more memorable for Iowa?

1) The '78-'79 B1G championship team that tied for the B1G championship at 13-5 with MSU and Purdue and lost to Toledo.

2) The '79-'80 team that finished tied for 4th place in the B1G and went to the final 4?

1) The '78-'79 B1G championship team that tied for the B1G championship at 13-5 with MSU and Purdue and lost to Toledo.

2) The '79-'80 team that finished tied for 4th place in the B1G and went to the final 4?

That would be #2. I believe they are more celebrated by fans and media as well.

Ronnie had a nice game vs Toledo.

A Final 4 is a whole different story. I would take a sub 500 season and winning the B1G tourney to even get into the NCAA tournament if we made a run to the Final 4. But a sweet 16? No thanks.

Trust me if Iowa won an outright B1G regular season Championship most Iowa fans would not forget it for decades. On the flip side disappointment can tarnish the accomplishment. Perfect example is our own 3 seeded first round loss to the Demons of Northwestern State. However noone now considers that season as a categorical failure. No-one nationally remembers us either way from that year. Everyone in the B1G remembers we were darn good that year though because we most likely beat their team.

The only way to get lasting National exposure and recognition is to make Elite 8 minimum. Or be embarrassed on a major scale or upsets on a major scale. I will always remember Gonzaga's first deep run. Butler, VCU, Wichita St, and Dunk City FGCU. We live in the era of Cinderellas. The favorite who losses is not remembered near as much as the Cinderella themselves.

Give it a few seasons and Virginia fans will remember this year's team fondly and block out the worst shame in modern NCAA basketball history. Another ACC title will sure help. Next year I bet they redeem themselves with a sweet 16 minimum.

A Final 4 is a whole different story. I would take a sub 500 season and winning the B1G tourney to even get into the NCAA tournament if we made a run to the Final 4. But a sweet 16? No thanks.

Trust me if Iowa won an outright B1G regular season Championship most Iowa fans would not forget it for decades. On the flip side disappointment can tarnish the accomplishment. Perfect example is our own 3 seeded first round loss to the Demons of Northwestern State. However noone now considers that season as a categorical failure. No-one nationally remembers us either way from that year. Everyone in the B1G remembers we were darn good that year though because we most likely beat their team.

The only way to get lasting National exposure and recognition is to make Elite 8 minimum. Or be embarrassed on a major scale or upsets on a major scale. I will always remember Gonzaga's first deep run. Butler, VCU and Dunk City FGCU. We live in the era of Cinderellas. The favorite who losses is not remembered near as much as the Cinderella themselves.

Give it a few seasons and Virginia fans will remember this year's team fondly and block out the worst shame in modern NCAA basketball history. Another ACC title will sure help. Next year I bet they redeem themselves with a sweet 16 minimum.

I keep saying over and over again that winning a B1G title would be great. I am trying to say that a 10-8 B1G season and finishing tied for 4th place and making the final 4 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 13-5 and winning a share of the B1G title and getting bounce early.

I keep saying over and over again that winning a B1G title would be great. I am trying to say that a 10-8 B1G season and finishing tied for 4th place and making the final 4 is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 13-5 and winning a share of the B1G title and getting bounce early.

With that exact laid out scenario, I agree.

Would you trade 30-2 record with an outright B1G championship and B1G tournament championship for a 22-10 record and a Sweet 16?

Would you trade 30-2 record with an outright B1G championship and B1G tournament championship for a 22-10 record and a Sweet 16?

Does that include a first round loss to a 16 seed? If so I'd take the sweet 16. Virginia is going to remember that loss and be mocked for it for a long long time. Think Iowa football vs Stanford only times 200,000

I cursed the name Stan Joplin in vain on every playground and in every driveway the rest of that summer.

Tom Davis took us to the sweet 16 in his final year. If he had won the regular season conference title that year, he would have still been Iowas coach.
Doubt it. The handwriting was on the wall that season and everybody knew it.

It is all about matchups. Not sure where Kansas St. ended up in regular season. What i do know is they are in the sweet 16 after beating Creighton and UMBC. A) It saved Bruce Weber's Job B) If Weber won the conference title and lost to a 16 seed, he is unemployed right now.

Does that include a first round loss to a 16 seed? If so I'd take the sweet 16. Virginia is going to remember that loss and be mocked for it for a long long time. Think Iowa football vs Stanford only times 200,000

No that is not included because that won't happen again for a long while. Let's say second round bounce to some 8 seed from a power conference. Would you still trade the wins and dual championships?

That is a bit tougher question. I mean a 30-2 season would be so enjoyable to watch. I would guess you are saying winning 1 and losing 1 vs getting to the sweet 16 and losing there. Tough call on that one. My general point has been that a few more losses in season aren't that big of a deal if you are getting to sweet 16's. You are talking like 8 wins though, so that would be a rough trade.

No that is not included because that won't happen again for a long while. Let's say second round bounce to some 8 seed from a power conference. Would you still trade the wins and dual championships?

Hmm. So then we'd still have people calling for Fran to be fired because he can't get to the sweet 16? Hmmmm ;)