Conference Title in Basketball Overrated

Not entirely true. If someone says "ISU has never won a Big 12 basketball title", every ISU basketball fan will immediately correct that person. I'm an Iowa fan and I bet you I can name 3 or 4 of the starters on that team.

ISU won the 2000 title too, in a year where they didn't crap the bed in the postseason.

Regardless, CBB to most people is a 1 month season. The NCAA tournament. I love CBB and I watch it a lot but I'd rather finish 7th at 8-10 in the conference and make the Sweet 16 than 1st and bomb out in the tourney.

Okay so let’s play a hypothetical. Let’s say Syracuse gets routed by Duke in their sweet 16 game. Which team had a better season?

Cuse
UVA
MSU

I know it has been a long time since Iowa has won the B1G, and some on here act like if you don't win the B1G then you aren't doing anything. I would argue different, so I guess my question is would Virginia's season satisfy those who want a conference title desperately? I say that season would suck. Winning the regular season conference title, winning the conference tournament but getting bounced in round 1 is a historic fail of a season if you ask me. I'd much prefer finishing 5th in the conference, and going to the sweet 16.

I don't care about a conference title in basketball at all. They show the Big Ten standings on tv during the regular season and I just don't care at all. At this point, I'd just like to see Iowa make a sweet 16. Apparently that's way too much to ask.

I don't care about a conference title in basketball at all. They show the Big Ten standings on tv during the regular season and I just don't care at all. At this point, I'd just like to see Iowa make a sweet 16. Apparently that's way too much to ask.

I just don't get it. My personal opinion is I rather watch Iowa play great over a 30 game season and win a title. I suppose I care more about that then playing well for a few games in the tournament.

I just don't get it. My personal opinion is I rather watch Iowa play great over a 30 game season and win a title. I suppose I care more about that then playing well for a few games in the tournament.

There's a team for that. It's called the Vikings.

well they're not mutually exclusive. Making the dance usually means you had a great regular season.

The NCAA tournament also has a lot more lasting impact. For example, I couldn't tell you which big ten teams won past 5 conference titles, but I could certainly tell you which big ten teams went to the final four over the past 10 years.

ISU won the 2000 title too, in a year where they didn't crap the bed in the postseason.

Regardless, CBB to most people is a 1 month season. The NCAA tournament. I love CBB and I watch it a lot but I'd rather finish 7th at 8-10 in the conference and make the Sweet 16 than 1st and bomb out in the tourney.
Nobody ever wants to bomb out of the tourney. Just don't tell me those Big 12 titles are worthless. They were earned over a 2+ month period. You can't honestly say that you don't have fond memories of those conference games.

Here is a lengthy Jim Boeheim quote on UVA and Tony Bennett, in which he casts some shade at Pittsburgh's handling of Jamie Dixon and Kevin Stallings. He's also right. If anyone things like the people mentioned in the question, they are total idiots.

DYhK6zzVwAAS4Hv.jpg

1) UVA
2)MSU
3)Cuse
There's only 1 NCAA champion. 2 of these teams are conference champions.
UVA slightly over MSU. If Cuse beats Duke, I'd say Cuse. It's a matter of degrees and opinions of course.
I agree. I don’t think a random game in the tournament changes everything in regards to an entire season. The sweet 16 is nice but can often come down to matchups or luck on any given night. Final fours however are a different story.

I know it has been a long time since Iowa has won the B1G, and some on here act like if you don't win the B1G then you aren't doing anything. I would argue different, so I guess my question is would Virginia's season satisfy those who want a conference title desperately? I say that season would suck. Winning the regular season conference title, winning the conference tournament but getting bounced in round 1 is a historic fail of a season if you ask me. I'd much prefer finishing 5th in the conference, and going to the sweet 16.

Yea, but this is the first time in history this has ever happened. Not like it happens every 3rd year or so.

To me, I think being competitive in the top 3 in conference is important as you'd be a lock for the NCAA coming into the tournament. To me, a conference c-ship would be a bonus if happens. If in the top 3 from the BIG, you enter the tourney with a formidable team with a chance to make a run or advance. That's all I ask for. It's all about getting into the tournament, so I guess I can agree with you that winning a conference title is not the end all.

Don't get me wrong, a conference title would be nice. I would just rather have other accomplishments over it, that is for sure. Lets just say you have these two options, which would you pick?

1) Win a conference title, get to the sweet 16 and lose
2) Don't win the conference, get to the Elite 8 or Final 4?

I'd value 1 extra win in the NCAA tournament over a conference title.

In the end, it all comes down to the run in the NCAA tournament that a team makes. I'm with ya.

Nobody ever wants to bomb out of the tourney. Just don't tell me those Big 12 titles are worthless. They were earned over a 2+ month period. You can't honestly say that you don't have fond memories of those conference games.

Never said it didn't have good memories. Kantrail Horton hitting the shot from the Jayhawk beak was great. However, the Hampton game casts a huge, huge, huge, black cloud over the season. Would I rather ISU have that kind of year vs. this type of year? Of course. Would I rather ISU go 9-9 and make the Sweet 16 or win the league and blow out of the tourney early? I'd rather win a few games in the tourney.

Purdue won a lot of games this season. Their fans enjoyed those wins I'm sure. But they didn't win the regular season title. And they didn't win the conference tournament. But I would rather be a Purdue fan (Sweet 16) than an MSU fan (eliminated) right now.

Personally, I would rather win the conference tournament than the regular season title. Winning 4 in 4 days was a lot of fun...especially when we were on the outside looking in when the BTT started that year.

Here is a lengthy Jim Boeheim quote on UVA and Tony Bennett, in which he casts some shade at Pittsburgh's handling of Jamie Dixon and Kevin Stallings. He's also right. If anyone things like the people mentioned in the question, they are total idiots.

DYhK6zzVwAAS4Hv.jpg

Good content. Nice find. Thanks for the post.

A B1G title would be great, but it just isn't the end all beat all. I'd much rather be 15-3 in the B1G and finish in 2nd place and go to the sweet 16 or deeper, than I would be 16-2 in the B1G and get eliminated in the round of 32. In other words I'd rather be Purdue than MSU right now. My enjoyment of the season as a whole isn't going to be diminished at all by collecting 1 less B1G win and finishing in 2nd place.

1) UVA
2)MSU
3)Cuse
There's only 1 NCAA champion. 2 of these teams are conference champions.

I'm not saying teams have to win the national championship game. But I'll certainly remember 11-seed Syracuse beating Arizona State, TCU, and Michigan State over the span of 5 days for a lot longer than I'll remember Michigan State winning the Big ten regular season title this year.

I still remember VCU's 2011 run from play-in to the final four, but I couldn't tell you who won the 2011 Big Ten conference or tournament title that year....can anyone? Almost all of us will remember UMBC's upset of #1 Virginia way more than we'll remember anything else from this season.

Its not right, its not fair, and its silly, but people remember and care about the tournament way more than they remember the regular season.