Conference Title in Basketball Overrated

If Fran won 3 Big Ten regular season titles, These same posters would build him a freaking shrine with a 10' tall statue in front of the new practice facility.
That's better than KF and they want to give him a life long contract with hereditary rights to give his first born child the job when he retires.

I sure would.

I don't care if we win a conference title, if we're making the tourney 3 out of 4 years and advancing past the first weekend once in a while.

Looked up Boeheim, much as it pained me to do. He has been 'Cuse coach since 1976-77. In all that time, he has exactly 8 conference titles that I could see. But, his tourney record is very good.

And...UNC goes down!

Looked up Boeheim, much as it pained me to do. He has been 'Cuse coach since 1976-77. In all that time, he has exactly 8 conference titles that I could see. But, his tourney record is very good.

And...UNC goes down!

Offense comes and goes. Great shooting teams have off nights. Defense, if focused on can be more consistent. Boeheim understands this and it is why his tournament prep is all defense.

P.S. 8 titles over 41 years is still a title every 5 years. That is pretty legendary. Plus he has 5 final 4's and that National Championship with Carmelo in 03.

Last edited:
Boeheim fouled while up three in the final ten seconds. Twice.
He was NOT going to let MSU attempt that three. I think in general he coached the pants off Izzo today.

Tom Davis took us to the sweet 16 in his final year. If he had won the regular season conference title that year, he would have still been Iowas coach.

And...UNC goes down!
His 8 Conference titles beats the hell out of our 1 conference title, over the same time span.

Tom Davis took us to the sweet 16 in his final year. If he had won the regular season conference title that year, he would have still been Iowas coach.
Possibly, but Alford was on Bowlsby's radar well before that season ended. I wonder if his communication, or any AD who does the same thing, could be constituted as borderline tampering.

Davis' handling of the Kingsbury situation at the end never flew with squeaky Bob.

It's a no-brainer and I'm doing the same as Boeheim.
That's a gutsy call, however, to throw that fly pattern from under your own basket.

If that goes out of bounds without being touched, or hits the scoreboard, MSU is inbounding under Syracuse's basket.

I've seen that cost a high school or middle school team more than once. And they are even less likely than a college player to be able to chuck one three quarter court for the win.

That's a gutsy call, however, to throw that fly pattern from under your own basket.

If that goes out of bounds without being touched, or hits the scoreboard, MSU is inbounding under Syracuse's basket.

I've seen that cost a high school or middle school team more than once. And they are even less likely than a college player to be able to chuck one three quarter court for the win.
I'm talking about fouling when up 3. Not necessarily the fly pattern. But that wouldn't be out of my character either.

ISU won the conference in 2001 and lost to Hampton, in a season that every ISU fan would love to pretend just didn't happen.

I'm talking about fouling when up 3. Not necessarily the fly pattern. But that wouldn't be out of my character either.
Knew exactly what you were referring to. (The foul/don't foul when Syracuse was up three late and I agree that Boeheim played it right). Boeheim out coached Izzo. MSU had the alhletes to run and gun and play in the 70's or 80's. They chose to get into a muck game and paid for it.

Last edited:
Knew exactly what you were referring to. (The foul/don't foul when Syracuse was up three late and I agree that Boeheim played it right). Boeheim out coached Izzo. MSU had the alhletes to run and gun and play in the 70's or 80's. They chose to get into a muck game and paid for it.
I knew MSU wasnt going far. They weren't in the kind of game shape that Izzo's teams usually are.

It's a no-brainer and I'm doing the same as Boeheim.
What REALLY drives me nuts is when the defense doesn't foul in that situation AND HAS ONE OR MORE TO GIVE. WTF? You're giving up a free chance to set your defense, change your defense, force a TO or five second call off the inbounds. I've seen two high school teams lose this winter, when they had fouls to give, because they let the other team shoot the three and send it into overtime.

ISU won the conference in 2001 and lost to Hampton, in a season that every ISU fan would love to pretend just didn't happen.
Not entirely true. If someone says "ISU has never won a Big 12 basketball title", every ISU basketball fan will immediately correct that person. I'm an Iowa fan and I bet you I can name 3 or 4 of the starters on that team.

To set the story strait on Boeheim he did the majority of his damage against the old Big East, which was a much smaller/weaker conference. He’s also had to vacate a bunch of his wins.

He’s never won an ACC title and his conference record over the last 4 years is .500 and his teams have finished 8, T-9, T-7, T-9. He has gone to a final four in that time and now a sweet 16, which is kind of the OP’s point. Virginia has won 3 ACC titles in the last 5 years but has hardly any NCAA success.

You can’t argue with the success that Boeheim has had in the tournament. Something about that zone gives teams issues with only one day to prepare. That Cuse team this year is strait garbage imo (KenPom agrees as they are the worst team remaining and rank below Maryland and Penn State) but is going to the sweet 16. Izzo lost that game for Sparty.

Overall I do agree with the OP. With the growing size of the conferences a regular season title kindof loses it’s shine. The important thing is getting a good seed and making a run in the tournament as tournament success is much more important.

Latest posts