Conference Title in Basketball Overrated

That is a bit tougher question. I mean a 30-2 season would be so enjoyable to watch. I would guess you are saying winning 1 and losing 1 vs getting to the sweet 16 and losing there. Tough call on that one. My general point has been that a few more losses in season aren't that big of a deal if you are getting to sweet 16's. You are talking like 8 wins though, so that would be a rough trade.

Ya that was my point of view. Nothing will take away the fun winter Virginia fans had dreaming of their team winning it all while their team was looking every bit of a champion all season long.

I think it depends on who the team is. A conference championship to Duke is nice, but people only seem to talk about their final four appearances. A conference championship for Iowa State would be a big deal especially with Kansas dominance as of late.

I think it depends on who the team is. A conference championship to Duke is nice, but people only seem to talk about their final four appearances. A conference championship for Iowa State would be a big deal especially with Kansas dominance as of late.

A conference title for Iowa would be a field of dreams.

Exactly. Without Google, I couldn't tell you where IOWA finished in B1G most years. Nor do I care too much.

If you asked me to assess any given stretch of seasons with, "How do you view that period, hawkeyebob62?", my first questions would be, "How many times did we make the tournament?", followed by, "Did we have any deep runs in the tournament those years?". "Where did we finish in B1G?" and "Did we compete well in B1G tournament?" would be secondary to the first two questions.

Exactly. Without Google, I couldn't tell you where IOWA finished in B1G most years. Nor do I care too much.

If you asked me to assess any given stretch of seasons with, "How do you view that period, hawkeyebob62?", my first questions would be, "How many times did we make the tournament?", followed by, "Did we have any deep runs in the tournament those years?". "Where did we finish in B1G?" and "Did we compete well in B1G tournament?" would be secondary to the first two questions.

Good to know. My personal season gauging question would be what was the record?

The opposite case. Florida State finished ties for 8th (with Louisville) in the ACC this year. They were 23-11 overall and 9-9 in conference play. They lost their opening game in the ACC Tournament to Louisville 82-74. They have beaten 3 higher seeds (#8 Missouri, #1 Xavier, and #4 Gonzaga) in the NCAA Tournament. Does anyone remember the regular season now? Who had the better season - Virginia or Florida State? :)

Good to know. My personal season gauging question would be what was the record?

Record is almost meaningless if you don't play a good enough schedule or get enough wins to make the tournament. Nebraska was 22-11 and was in the NIT. Texas was 19-14 and made the NCAA's. Literally no fan would trade records.

The opposite case. Florida State finished ties for 8th (with Louisville) in the ACC this year. They were 23-11 overall and 9-9 in conference play. They lost their opening game in the ACC Tournament to Louisville 82-74. They have beaten 3 higher seeds (#8 Missouri, #1 Xavier, and #4 Gonzaga) in the NCAA Tournament. Does anyone remember the regular season now? Who had the better season - Virginia or Florida State? :)

Lol I know it's an unpopular opinion but unless FSU makes the Final 4 I'm still feeling Virginia had the better "season".

OK, let's take a look

Big 12 - 3/8's of Elite 8. 1 and 2 plus number 4. So much for a conference that we all poke fun at.

ACC 2/8 of the Elite 8. 2, and 9. The #1 had a somewhat east schedule and lost their 6th man on a short bench.

Big East 1/8 of Elite 8. #2 the #1 lost 2x to #2.

Mo V 1/8 with #1

Big - 1/8 with the the number 4 with the Conf Tourney Champ

What is apparent.

Defense is the key.

The lower Conference ranked teams are known for D in KSU and FSU.

Given that I think Xavier was over ranked, the anomalies are FSU but they play D as does Loyola. TT can at times.

M, K, KSU, Duke, Vil,

Experience with coaches, D, and doing well in conference seem to be correlated.

Iowa is lacking in those categories.