Clayborn: We're the Only Team in the State

So you're not denying that ISU is horrible?
Where did this come from? See my previous post, 6 bowl games in 10 years and more wins in bowl games than the Golden Domers, really what is your definition of a bad football team? Oh wait let me answer, no "January 1" bowls, answer, cause the Big 12 only has one tie in to those unlike the Big 10 (12) who has 3 and isnt the International Bowl played as a "New Years Day Bowl"? I mean really what is the definition of horrible? Going .500 against Iowa, your team, then that does not say much for Iowa, please enlighten me....................................................................................................................................................

First off doesn't Cabman's comments relate to all sports? He said its the only school in the state? Hmm. Second do we want to compare bowl games to NCAA tournament appearances over the last decade? You know ISU has only missed a bowl game 4 times over the last 10 years and were two kicks away from possibly playing in a BCS game? No sir, you got schooled.

Yet, in that time Iowa actually played in 2 BCS games and went bowling 8 of 10 years!

Just wondering if you've actually hit rock yet or are you still digging?

Last edited:
Where did this come from? See my previous post, 6 bowl games in 10 years and more wins in bowl games than the Golden Domers, really what is your definition of a bad football team? Oh wait let me answer, no "January 1" bowls, answer, cause the Big 12 only has one tie in to those unlike the Big 10 (12) who has 3 and isnt the International Bowl played as a "New Years Day Bowl"? I mean really what is the definition of horrible? Going .500 against Iowa, your team, then that does not say much for Iowa, please enlighten me....................................................................................................................................................

I pretty much put the fact out there that AC was just telling the truth. You come back spewing some **** about basketball which is unrelated to this conversation.

Yet, in that time Iowa actually played in 2 BCS games and went bowling 8 of 10 years!

Just wondering if you've actually hit rock yet or are you still digging?
The Big 10 has been down, the only difference is when the Big 12 was down ISU couldnt make a field goal two years in a row to play for a BCS bowl game and Iowa did.

I think this is getting more publicity than it deserves. I think it was just a general comment and I doubt Clayborn was saying it to create controversy. I find it interesting the (what used to be a newspaper) Register reporter take this one sentence and turn it into his headline and then try to create the controversy by including Paul Rhoads in the discussion.

Nice job RAG ... Your days of being a real newspaper are far behind you. This, my friends, is a perfect example of a reporter, although I hesitate to use that term here, trying to create news instead of report news. This is the "TMZ" style of reporting.

I pretty much put the fact out there that AC was just telling the truth. You come back spewing some **** about basketball which is unrelated to this conversation.
And I quote "the only school in the state" hey Norwalkhawk, Iowa plays other sports than football and this comment brings up all sports as he is putting down the athletic department at ISU. Read his comments again very slowly.

The Big 10 has been down, the only difference is when the Big 12 was down ISU couldnt make a field goal two years in a row to play for a BCS bowl game and Iowa did.

So Iowa made plays and won games when they needed to and ISU choked?

I think you're just confused here. If ISU makes those field goals they go to the Big 12 championship game, not a BCS Bowl (but in the eyes of most ISU fans the B12 Championship would be the closest ISU would ever sniff a BCS game). If you're going to talk **** at least get you're facts straight.

And I quote "the only school in the state" hey Norwalkhawk, Iowa plays other sports than football and this comment brings up all sports as he is putting down the athletic department at ISU. Read his comments again very slowly.

He's talking football *******. I wouldn't expect him to comment on the state of other sports for both schools. And he's still right, Iowa is the only game in town for football fans. Live with it.

I just hope Clayborn doesn't rest on his own hype and plays up to his potential this year. He's improved every year, but this year he's getting all sorts of attention. Would love to see him become a dominant force like Roth.

First off doesn't Cabman's comments relate to all sports? He said its the only school in the state? Hmm. Second do we want to compare bowl games to NCAA tournament appearances over the last decade? You know ISU has only missed a bowl game 4 times over the last 10 years and were two kicks away from possibly playing in a BCS game? No sir, you got schooled.

Well Stormin', I guess he showed you...

Classic. Just. Classic.

In case you missed it the first time...

Overall record of Iowa State Football last 10 years: 55-68 (.447 win %)

OK, it took me long enough, but now I am completely convinced he's just messing with us.

No one is this ignorant.

Now I get it.

I think you're just confused here. If ISU makes those field goals they go to the Big 12 championship game, not a BCS Bowl (but in the eyes of most ISU fans the B12 Championship would be the closest ISU would ever sniff a BCS game). If you're going to talk **** at least get you're facts straight.
Once again, but now read my comments slowly and sound them out. I said they were two kicks away from a shot at a BCS game.

"Hard work, talent, execution and preparation" ARE what win you football games. But there's a reason coaches don't like to give opponents "extra" motivation...that tiny fragment of extra fire can be the difference in a football game. Coaches, including Kirk Ferentz, know this. Its surprising that some of you don't. Nobody is claiming that this alone will win the game for ISU...nor that this is the only motivational factor...but disrespecting an opponent before a game absolutely CAN make a difference, and not in a good way if you're the one doing the trash talking.

Word of this quote is already working its way through the ISU football team like wildfire...and that comes from a very solid source...things like this can make a team play WAY above its head for an afternoon. There's no guarantees...and its possible for a team to be too fired up...but in general, things that provide extra motivation make a team better. Many a "better" team has lost to a wildly motivated "lesser" team in college football.

Mesa, I don't understand why Clayborn said that. I don't think any Iowa players who played in the 2002 game would say something like that, and that was a great Iowa team. Of course, in that game Seneca Wallace showed what he was made of. Even Podolak was gushing after that performance. I am an Iowa fan that doesn't believe in running smack at ISU, and I still want the series to end. I think Iowa's first Rose Bowl team under Hayden lost to Iowa State.

It is far easier for a college football team to reach a bowl game than reach the NCAA tourney. Bad comparison. Winning % makes more sense. And two kicks from a BCS game? How many times have you played in the Big 12 title game? Go away donkey.

He's talking football *******. I wouldn't expect him to comment on the state of other sports for both schools. And he's still right, Iowa is the only game in town for football fans. Live with it.
Then how has ISU split the series with Iowa, hell ISU beat them three years ago and didnt score a touchdown? Your comments are mindless as its just throwing Iowa football and KF's record against ISU under the bus.

These numbers are skewed for two reasons, the McCarney farewell tour and Gene Chizik.
So... the record is skewed, but you want to talk bowl games (the ones played before Jan 1st) during the same 10 year period?

Honest question, do you think and then reply or just start typing? You should try the former.

Once again, but now read my comments slowly and sound them out. I said they were two kicks away from a shot at a BCS game.

This is incorrect, you would not have been playing for a shot at a BCS game, you would of been given the privledge of getting your *** stomped in by Oklahoma and Texas.

Latest posts