Clayborn: We're the Only Team in the State

I don't know whats funnier. The fact that clone fans are taking this quote and running with it, or the fact that they have such an inferiority complex and are so unsure of their own teams worth that they assume that was his intent when it is pretty obvious that it wasn't. They are so concerned about being irrelevant that they read the comment as saying just that. It kinda reminds me of this exchange.

Roy: Don't be ridiculous. (Notices George looking at a poster on the wall)
Holyfield. He's a good friend of one of my patients. He's got a hell of a
body, doesn't he?

George: How would I know?

Roy: Do you like him?

George: What do you mean, like him?

Roy: Do you like him?

George: I mean he's a good fighter and a nice guy but I don't like him.

Roy: How come you don't like him?

George: Why should I?

Jerry: What is the matter with you?

George: Nothing, why? You think something's wrong? Am I different?

I haven't seen the video, what was his intent? Talking about no pro sports in Iowa?

I haven't seen the video, what was his intent? Talking about no pro sports in Iowa?

No, I just think he is a guy that is not comfortable with interviews and was searching for the answer to the question. It was kind of a stumbling answer and I think that if he truly meant it that way it would have come across a little cleaner. He is not as witty and clever as Stanzi at answering questions. :)

No, I just think he is a guy that is not comfortable with interviews and was searching for the answer to the question. It was kind of a stumbling answer and I think that if he truly meant it that way it would have come across a little cleaner. He is not as witty and clever as Stanzi at answering questions. :)

Ok maybe I'll look for the video sometime.

And as a cyclone fan, and a will ferrell lover I am torn over my feelings about the orange bowl quote haha. It was a dumb question thats for sure.

Hey Paula Rhoads, Mr. Clayborn is still waiting on the sandwich. I know with the salary you make at Pig Farmer State you need to take that bus and seats are few and far between thanks to the lovely ladies who attend ISU weighing more then your average defensive tackle and smelling like one post game and thus take up a seat for each cheek. But, kindly hurry up.

Here's what I got from watching the video of the interview, and I'm surprised others haven't said anything to this effect:

It seems like Clayborn just straight up forgot about Iowa State. If he was trying to make a dig, he would have had more of a smile/wink type of demeanor. He wasn't trying to hate. Someone just asked him a question about the high expectations for Hawkeye football this year, and not one single neuron in his head made the connection between "high expectations" and "Iowa State." (I know, it's outrageous!) So he tried to answer the best that he could, fumbled over his words a bit as many people do in a live interview, and the thought of Iowa State just never crossed his mind.

I think this is the thing that really irks the ISU fans. At least if Adrian was poking fun at the Cyclones, then that would mean that he was at least paying attention to them. But ISU doesn't even register in his mind when thinking about hopes for Iowa's 2010 season. Clayborn is from St. Louis, a pro sports town. So he comes to the UI and sees that the Hawkeyes are THE TEAM that people pay attention to in most of the state. He tries to express that dynamic which he has witnessed here the last few years, but ends up misspeaking. I mean shoot, he's a football player, not a Shakespearean actor. Much ado about nothing.

That's the real story here. Clayborn was able to "put down" ISU without even trying. (And, for the record, without even being asked about the Cyclones.) AC and all the other Hawkeyes will be giving Iowa State all the appropriate attention they need from September 5 to September 11, and then they will move on.

Here's what I got from watching the video of the interview, and I'm surprised others haven't said anything to this effect:

It seems like Clayborn just straight up forgot about Iowa State. If he was trying to make a dig, he would have had more of a smile/wink type of demeanor. He wasn't trying to hate. Someone just asked him a question about the high expectations for Hawkeye football this year, and not one single neuron in his head made the connection between "high expectations" and "Iowa State." (I know, it's outrageous!) So he tried to answer the best that he could, fumbled over his words a bit as many people do in a live interview, and the thought of Iowa State just never crossed his mind.

I think this is the thing that really irks the ISU fans. At least if Adrian was poking fun at the Cyclones, then that would mean that he was at least paying attention to them. But ISU doesn't even register in his mind when thinking about hopes for Iowa's 2010 season. Clayborn is from St. Louis, a pro sports town. So he comes to the UI and sees that the Hawkeyes are THE TEAM that people pay attention to in most of the state. He tries to express that dynamic which he has witnessed here the last few years, but ends up misspeaking. I mean shoot, he's a football player, not a Shakespearean actor. Much ado about nothing.

That's the real story here. Clayborn was able to "put down" ISU without even trying. (And, for the record, without even being asked about the Cyclones.) AC and all the other Hawkeyes will be giving Iowa State all the appropriate attention they need from September 5 to September 11, and then they will move on.

FTW.

You're dead-on with this. And that's why his quote is so awesome and hilarious. Well, actually, the reason it's so awesomely hilarious is the shrill screeching outrage of the folks at CF, but whatever, same thing.

Hey Paula Rhoads, Mr. Clayborn is still waiting on the sandwich. I know with the salary you make at Pig Farmer State you need to take that bus and seats are few and far between thanks to the lovely ladies who attend ISU weighing more then your average defensive tackle and smelling like one post game and thus take up a seat for each cheek. But, kindly hurry up.

What a quality post....

And oh ya, I thought ANF?

Agreed. That is the weakest of weak sauces.

Agreed haha.

My take on all of this is that Clayborn was just thinking about the question in the context of the league they play in, or maybe about how the Hawkeye fans don't have any pro sports teams to root for, so they are focused only on Iowa football.

If you watched the interview, it was more about Hawk fans always talking to him about next year, so ISU wouldn't be involved since it was already just hawk fans that they were talking about, if you catch my drift.

Agreed haha.

My take on all of this is that Clayborn was just thinking about the question in the context of the league they play in, or maybe about how the Hawkeye fans don't have any pro sports teams to root for, so they are focused only on Iowa football.

If you watched the interview, it was more about Hawk fans always talking to him about next year, so ISU wouldn't be involved since it was already just hawk fans that they were talking about, if you catch my drift.

Caught easily - I played Left Drift in high school.

And of course that's what happened. The quote itself is innocuous and ho-hum, but the reaction to it was oozing with gloriousness.

Your exact personality is what irks us. Trying to pretend that there arent any ISU fans in Iowa is absurd. It's not enough for you (not all hawk fans, just specifically) to want to have a better football team, you want to make it seem like ISU is the laughing stock of the nation or that nobody even knows ISU exists. We had a couple down years in the Chizik era, but we have been at least average this decade aside from that, even if we haven't done anything spectacular and the future is looking brighter. I mean, we had a winning record last year and went to a bowl game. The way you talk I would have thought ISU was 2-11 or 3-10 every year this decade.

Your exact personality is what irks us. Trying to pretend that there arent any ISU fans in Iowa is absurd. It's not enough for you (not all hawk fans, just specifically) to want to have a better football team, you want to make it seem like ISU is the laughing stock of the nation or that nobody even knows ISU exists. We had a couple down years in the Chizik era, but we have been at least average this decade aside from that, even if we haven't done anything spectacular and the future is looking brighter. I mean, we had a winning record last year and went to a bowl game. The way you talk I would have thought ISU was 2-11 or 3-10 every year this decade.

Its a fact that nobody in the nation knows ISU exists so therefore they cant be the laghing stock of the nation.

Happy?

It's amazing that you completely missed the point of what Randy was trying to say. At no point in his post did Randy say that ISU fans didn't exis, or that ISU is the laughingstock of the country. Stop trying to find something that isn't there. You've all ready conceded that Clayborn wasn't taking shots at ISU, and so in essence agreed with Randy's post.

It's amazing that you completely missed the point of what Randy was trying to say. At no point in his post did Randy say that ISU fans didn't exis, or that ISU is the laughingstock of the country. Stop trying to find something that isn't there. You've all ready conceded that Clayborn wasn't taking shots at ISU, and so in essence agreed with Randy's post.

There is a difference between not thinking of ISU because they aren't relevant to the question (since it was about hawkeye fans) as opposed to making it seem like ISU should be relevant, but since nobody cares about ISU he didn't even think about them. He didn't forget to mention ISU, ISU never needed to be mentioned in the first place, and from what I got reading that post, it was trying to make it look like Clayborn thought through his mind of all the schools in Iowa and honestly didn't know ISU exists. I dislike that I guess.

Latest posts