Christian Williams Leaving Team

I know I was hard on him when posters were saying he would average double digit points per game last year but I'm sad to see him go. He was really good defensively and seemed like a great teammate.

I bet you are sad to see him go, as he was that target of many trolls for you. I see you also managed to try to get in that last trolling shot on his way out as well.

I don't have any inside information, but this didn't surprise me at all. The next time I see him smile will be the first. A kid only has a very few number of years to play college ball and he needs to find a spot where he's happy. Good luck to Christian.

Williams was essentially a replacement-level player. Fran can coach up one of the grayshirts and that kid can produce what Williams did. No great loss.

Williams was essentially a replacement-level player. Fran can coach up one of the grayshirts and that kid can produce what Williams did. No great loss.

Maybe offensively he is easily replaced, but not defensively. Finished fourth on the team in steals in less than half the minutes of the others above him. He had only three less steals than Bohannon in 570 fewer minutes! His defensive bursts kept us in a lot of games after the starters got run off the floor in the opening minutes quite a few times last year to even allow us to make comebacks later. Not sure why the timing is what it is, but this is a pretty disappointing transfer and also makes me question the team chemistry.

CW was a decent defender with occasional flashes of offense. Not really a big loss, although Iowa is thin at guard this year.

I guess this frees up a scholarship for CJ Fredrick? Once Dom graduates that frees up 1 for Wieskamp.

Maybe offensively he is easily replaced, but not defensively. Finished fourth on the team in steals in less than half the minutes of the others above him. He had only three less steals than Bohannon in 570 fewer minutes! His defensive bursts kept us in a lot of games after the starters got run off the floor in the opening minutes quite a few times last year to even allow us to make comebacks later. Not sure why the timing is what it is, but this is a pretty disappointing transfer and also makes me question the team chemistry.

I wouldn't question chemistry. the timing of this decision makes me think Fran and the team went over the rotations and roles for the upcoming exhibition game and CW saw the writing on the wall.

As many others have stated, I wish Christian well. I will be rooting for him wherever he goes. I believe this is the best scenerio for everyone involved. Thank you for the years of effort

This is just a bummer. I really liked CW's game, particularly defense. There is still a whole bunch of potential there. I wish him the best.
Go Hawks!

Unfortunate timing but best of luck to the kid. He just never seemed to be able to gain his footing on the court. Backup PG, if needed for more than spot minutes, will be Moss IMO. That is of course with assuming Connor still uses a RS.

I’d bet when JBo is not on the floor, it will be pg by comitttee with a combo of Brady, Moss and Baer on the floor maybe w Nunge at the 4/5. The can all handle it.

I wouldn't question chemistry. the timing of this decision makes me think Fran and the team went over the rotations and roles for the upcoming exhibition game and CW saw the writing on the wall.

This 100% - the timing IMO says he wasn't going to play EVEN though we desperately needed him. I know CM is supposed to RS, but IMO, this kind of changes everything doesn't it? Or not?

It’s important to look at it from Connor’s POV not from an Iowa basketball fan’s POV.

He, his dad and Heller worked hard on a athletic and academic plan for him this year. The plan was for him to play this baseball season, which begins in February. If he plays basketball, which runs through March, he’d miss a big part of the baseball season.

I’m not saying he won’t choose to play basketball this season but it’s not an easy decision and may not be one he’s comfortable with. Does he want to pull the RS for 5-8 minutes a game instead of starting baseball, full go in February?

I talked with Connor and basketball media day and he said he really wanted to stick with his plan for Year 1 of college. Certainly, things could have changed with Williams’ decision.

I think it’s more likely that guys like Elllingson and Dailey absorb the backup PG minutes than Connor pulling the RS. We should get more of an answer tonight when we talk with Fran after the exhibition game.

I'm interested to see if he stays d1 or drops down to d2. Whatever is best for the young man and I am grateful for his efforts as a Hawk!

I hope Conner keeps his RS. He would surely help the basketball team, but it might not be in his best interest as an athlete. Baseball might be his best sport. Time will tell!

I see this as a positive for the team...better players and options are emerging.

CW seldom seemed content or at ease.

If he was dropping in his early season role...well...good for him, talk to family, move on. hope he does well and finds a better fit and opportunity.

Will Uhl be content watching?

Such shuffling happens often on teams with some talent depth, another positive.

I'm curious of the timing... I mean nothing has changed since the end of last yr depth chart wise right? I feel like he's known for some time he was leaving and decided to get a free European vacation before bailing. More power to him if I were in his shoes I'd probably have done the same thing especially if I didn't know where I wanted to go yet. But if I'm in Frans shoes it puts him in a tighter spot. But transfers are transfers he can't get too bent out of shape over it.

Ellingson has himself quite the opportunity now. I think his primary job will be backing up JBo now and less so backing up Moss. But I think he'll do some of that also.
Side note (How many D1 teams have their top two pgs being white?)

Latest posts