Christian Williams Leaving Team

I hope Connor only gets between 5-10 MPG honestly. He is still a Fr. and he is going to struggle for the most part. If he can just get the ball up the court and the offense into the motion for 5-10 MPG that is a win. I feel like Williams biggest weakness was just how loose he was with the ball, and that he just didn't get the team into the offense effectively.

I am hoping he can give you a little more than that. You want Conner to be a step up from CW.

I hope Connor only gets between 5-10 MPG honestly. He is still a Fr. and he is going to struggle for the most part. If he can just get the ball up the court and the offense into the motion for 5-10 MPG that is a win. I feel like Williams biggest weakness was just how loose he was with the ball, and that he just didn't get the team into the offense effectively.

agree, but CW wasn't going to be getting more then 10 minutes in my mind any ways? Or did you expect more?

Official? No. Going to happen? I'd be surprised if it didn't.

CM owes it to Rick Heller to sit down and talk about it, however, before it becoming official. Heller passed on other players and if he loses CM for this season, he can't just go out and replace him at this point.

Heller actually came up with the plan for CM to RS in basketball and play baseball the first year. CM then spent the fall focusing on baseball then sprinkling in basketball. There are two Hawkeye programs involved here and they need to work through all the details.

IMO if the plan for Connor was to play baseball this year and his offseason workouts had baseball in mind, he should probably just stick with that. Realistically Fran needs 10 minutes of a backup PG. That can be mitigated with Ellingson/Moss/Baer bringing the ball up.

On the flip side, if you don't trust Maishe to give you 7-10 minutes of PG play then what the hell is he doing on the team?

Those hopefully few games where JBo needs to sit for one reason or another, C Mac won’t be a big change offensively. Obviously he likely won’t fill it up like JBo bc hardly anyone can, but from a flow and type of player perspective, it shouldn’t be that different. The ball can move the same way and from reports he’s an an outstanding passer.

Well that's a weird thing to hope for. Why not hope he pulls a Bohannon and is awesome out of nowhere? I hope all 3 freshmen end up starters this year because they are better than everyone else.

I do hope he's awesome... BUT, I would say it's not out of nowhere for Connor. He's our what? 2nd highest rated recruit on the team? He's expected to be good and will be in my opinion. I feel like there is this notion or narrative about Connor because he was good in baseball and was going to RS, because of who is dad is and since Iowa fans probably saw more of his games then most normal incoming freshman, that Connor isn't really "good", but rather this known commodity already. Kids been in the top 100 nationally his entire life, a recruit by any other name is getting blown out of proportion on this site.

ROLE!

Wonder which really came first. The chicken or the egg? CM playing or CW leaving. My guess CM was first.

I agree - I think Williams saw it every day in practice - my guess is that BE and MD were probably ahead of him too.
I read that BE had not been practicing at all at PG and I inferred that neither had MD. It sounds like the coaching staff was actually surprised by Williams’ decision to leave.

We should thank our lucky stars we have the flexibility we do with Cmac, because if we didn’t it could have been a long season without a backup PG.

CM will be a better facilitator on offense. I worry about defense. That's where the Williams' loss hurts.
I'm not sure Williams played enough for it to matter. Or would have this year. Our D as a team stunk for lack of a better term. I don't suspect they'll be a great defensive team again all of a sudden. Iowa's going to have to outscore teams they just are. I think we'll be tougher inside with the new big man in the middle but teams will still shoot a high volume of 3s and probably at a good percentage on us. How we rebound to me is the biggest key. They have to rebound better then last yr. But that'll be tough to do if we are playing a lot of zone as suspected... So we'll see.

I read that BE had not been practicing at all at PG and I inferred that neither had MD. It sounds like the coaching staff was actually surprised by Williams’ decision to leave.

We should thank our lucky stars we have the flexibility we do with Cmac, because if we didn’t it could have been a long season without a backup PG.

You could be right....but then I go back to why he left and why he left NOW. I find it hard to believe the Williams would stick it out this long with the program and be on the brink of getting a lot of minutes at a place he worked so hard to achieve without some sort of writing on the wall kind of deal.

You could be right....but then I go back to why he left and why he left NOW. I find it hard to believe the Williams would stick it out this long with the program and be on the brink of getting a lot of minutes at a place he worked so hard to achieve without some sort of writing on the wall kind of deal.
10 or so minutes a game is not a lot. That is about all I saw him getting. Not to mention he knows the following season he will be battling it out with the coaches son.

Maybe he thought prior to his injuries he was going to get some of Jok’s minutes on the wing, only to realize Dailey has likely passed him by as a wing player. Maybe he just really wanted to be closer to home. Kid never really looked like he was enjoying himself.

I believe it's role, not roll, moron.*
giphy.gif

Latest posts