Christian Williams Leaving Team

I actually thought this would happen several months ago. He's had to know for some time that his minutes would be limited pretty much for the rest of his college career.

Unless JB gets hurt, I highly doubt Connor gets his redshirt pulled, and, even in that scenario, I think it would be unlikely.

Whether something was directly said or not is unknown, but I know that Fran has been aggressively pursuing high-level PGs for '19, such as Carton and Terry. I wouldn't be surprised if that factored in somehow.

I bet we see A LOT of Connor tonight right?

He’ll play. You also want to see what BE and MD can do at PG. Connor also could play in the regular season early and still RS.

Against a far inferior opponent tonight, Fran will be knocking off the rust and working on combinations.

I bet you are sad to see him go, as he was that target of many trolls for you. I see you also managed to try to get in that last trolling shot on his way out as well.

How did I try to troll Christian in any way by saying what I said?

How many universities have starting white pgs and white wide receivers...?
Even better question.. Iowa had 3 WR sets last week with JVB, Easley and that freshman Max Cooper out there. I bet Iowa's pretty unique especially when you combine those two sports like that...

It’s important to look at it from Connor’s POV not from an Iowa basketball fan’s POV.

He, his dad and Heller worked hard on a athletic and academic plan for him this year. The plan was for him to play this baseball season, which begins in February. If he plays basketball, which runs through March, he’d miss a big part of the baseball season.

I’m not saying he won’t choose to play basketball this season but it’s not an easy decision and may not be one he’s comfortable with. Does he want to pull the RS for 5-8 minutes a game instead of starting baseball, full go in February?

I talked with Connor and basketball media day and he said he really wanted to stick with his plan for Year 1 of college. Certainly, things could have changed with Williams’ decision.

I think it’s more likely that guys like Elllingson and Dailey absorb the backup PG minutes than Connor pulling the RS. We should get more of an answer tonight when we talk with Fran after the exhibition game.
Pretty much at some point Connor will have to make a decision on which sport he'll focus on won't he? It'd be pretty tough to do what they'd planed on doing for 2-3 or 4 yrs. So I would have no problem if he were to make that decision to stick with hoops sooner than later. Him going to baseball only increases the chances of him never focusing on hoops. I'm selfish I'd of course rather he play basketball. I think he'll be darn good at both and since baseball is where he's chosen to start off focusing I'd be surprised if he didn't do well and love it. (Even though baseball is a tough frustrating sport)

Pretty much at some point Connor will have to make a decision on which sport he'll focus on won't he? It'd be pretty tough to do what they'd planed on doing for 2-3 or 4 yrs. So I would have no problem if he were to make that decision to stick with hoops sooner than later. Him going to baseball only increases the chances of him never focusing on hoops. I'm selfish I'd of course rather he play basketball. I think he'll be darn good at both and since baseball is where he's chosen to start off focusing I'd be surprised if he didn't do well and love it. (Even though baseball is a tough frustrating sport)

Yes. I think he planned on re-evaluating things after this school year.

I disagree... and this is just MY opinion, but I think Connor is going to play 4 years of hoops. Now, maybe he does keep his RS this season, though I think the chances took a hit with this news. But I think Connor has wanted to play for his dad since he was old enough to walk. He's wanted to be one of the guys in the program since he can remember, and it's finally here. I think that draw is gonna be something that's overwhelmingly clear, and I bet even after the the over seas trip - was pretty clear as well. This is JUST my opinion tho.

Having a four year run with dad and brother and other talent...tough to beat.

Baseball is where the money is...

Good problem to have...where his heart is, is where he will find success...

How about a two sport all american...at Iowa?

How did I try to troll Christian in any way by saying what I said?

The way you always do. Taking a statement by a single poster and extrapolating that to make him (the player) a whipping boy. For instance Williams is transferring and you bring up one person who thought he would average a double double.

Another example of this is me saying we aren’t going to get one and done 5* players. You then proceeded to hope that every 4* kid we were after wouldn’t become a 5* one and done so that we had a chance to get them.

Another example is just how mad you were that I didn’t track 5* PG stats all last year.

This isn’t what fans of a team do, that is how I know you are a ISU troll.

I'm curious of the timing... I mean nothing has changed since the end of last yr depth chart wise right? I feel like he's known for some time he was leaving and decided to get a free European vacation before bailing. More power to him if I were in his shoes I'd probably have done the same thing especially if I didn't know where I wanted to go yet. But if I'm in Frans shoes it puts him in a tighter spot. But transfers are transfers he can't get too bent out of shape over it.

Ellingson has himself quite the opportunity now. I think his primary job will be backing up JBo now and less so backing up Moss. But I think he'll do some of that also.
Side note (How many D1 teams have their top two pgs being white?)
I don’t think we can possibly know that the depth chart was unchanged. Just because CW had that spot doesn’t mean he couldn’t have lost it to someone else.

We’ve heard some good things about Dailey and Ellingson this offseason. In addition Wiliiams was battling some injuries. It could be that others have just passed him by.

I disagree... and this is just MY opinion, but I think Connor is going to play 4 years of hoops. Now, maybe he does keep his RS this season, though I think the chances took a hit with this news. But I think Connor has wanted to play for his dad since he was old enough to walk. He's wanted to be one of the guys in the program since he can remember, and it's finally here. I think that draw is gonna be something that's overwhelmingly clear, and I bet even after the the over seas trip - was pretty clear as well. This is JUST my opinion tho.
From a human nature standpoint how couldn't that be the case right? This is big time D1 hoops. Fran has been here long enough where Conner like you said grew up here. It's awesome to have options and multiple interest in other sports it's just gotten to be so impractical to actually do it past highschool. I'm with you I think he'll end up playing hoops more. Just hope that decision is made sooner than later

What % of fans were stunned by this announcement?

I would guess a higher % anticipated the event...

I stunned by the timing ... like media day already happened. He had to see that he wasn't going to be playing...other wise, why? Why now?

Perhaps he and Fran had a face to face...initiated by one or the other or both...helping CW plan his future with his family...motivated by the roster...practice minutes...projected rotations...or perhaps CW felt that he wasn't able to beat out the rising players on the team...

On a more dark slant...CW has been unhappy and upset...and this point in time is his most effective way to leave with a message...perhaps...that is logical as well, and happens a lot on all levels of life.

The way you always do. Taking a statement by a single poster and extrapolating that to make him (the player) a whipping boy. For instance Williams is transferring and you bring up one person who thought he would average a double double.

Another example of this is me saying we aren’t going to get one and done 5* players. You then proceeded to hope that every 4* kid we were after wouldn’t become a 5* one and done so that we had a chance to get them.

Another example is just how mad you were that I didn’t track 5* PG stats all last year.

This isn’t what fans of a team do, that is how I know you are a ISU troll.

Why do you continue to feed him if he is a troll?

He’ll play. You also want to see what BE and MD can do at PG. Connor also could play in the regular season early and still RS.

Against a far inferior opponent tonight, Fran will be knocking off the rust and working on combinations.

Do you think Dailey will be moved to backup PG or will Ellingson be forced into some minutes as the back up PG?

Latest posts