Chicago Cubs 2016 Thread

Anyone else getting tired of JH grounding out to the second baseman? I was so in hopes that he would improve but it looks like he's not going to change.

I don't get it. I thought his struggles were due to the increased pressure of the huge contract and high expectations but with the lineup around him it's clear that it's not imperative that he hits for the Cubs to be successful. His approach to every at bat seems to be the same. You would think after this long, he would attempt to make some adjustments. Maybe he will come around next season and with Schwarber in the lineup they will win 120+. ;)

I don't get it. I thought his struggles were due to the increased pressure of the huge contract and high expectations but with the lineup around him it's clear that it's not imperative that he hits for the Cubs to be successful. His approach to every at bat seems to be the same. You would think after this long, he would attempt to make some adjustments. Maybe he will come around next season and with Schwarber in the lineup they will win 120+. ;)
he has become very frustrating to watch. I wonder if there is another coach in the organization that can help him. I like our hitting coach but he doesn't seem to be helping JHey. I guess for now I'll enjoy his defense and all the other exciting stuff happening with the team.

he has become very frustrating to watch. I wonder if there is another coach in the organization that can help him. I like our hitting coach but he doesn't seem to be helping JHey. I guess for now I'll enjoy his defense and all the other exciting stuff happening with the team.

JHEY also has to be willing to change and listen, sometimes players are so prideful they refuse to adjust. Hard to say.
My take is that he needs to get loaded sooner in his swing and just let the ball travel some. He is just coming around the ball on everything and not trusting himself to let it get there and hit it left side if he needs to. He is a great baserunner, getting on base is a huge asset to us. His defense has saved numerous runs. At this point, he is what he is. But, with the way Sczcer and Soler can hit against tough lefties I'd be inclined to start them vs. many lefties and JHey may have to sit the bench some.

JHEY also has to be willing to change and listen, sometimes players are so prideful they refuse to adjust. Hard to say.
My take is that he needs to get loaded sooner in his swing and just let the ball travel some. He is just coming around the ball on everything and not trusting himself to let it get there and hit it left side if he needs to. He is a great baserunner, getting on base is a huge asset to us. His defense has saved numerous runs. At this point, he is what he is. But, with the way Sczcer and Soler can hit against tough lefties I'd be inclined to start them vs. many lefties and JHey may have to sit the bench some.
Agree, he has still been very valuable to us. The lineup is out today. Defensively, all I can say is I hope they don't hit it to the outfield too often ;-) Heyward and Fowler are off. Soler and Contreras (who is fine in left) are in. Szczur playing center. Javy at 2nd, so the infield defense will be good. Hope Jake pitches well and we put another nail in the Cardinal coffin .

Now if Miami would string some together and keep the red birds out of the wild card. I'm 1 happy Cubbie today! :)

Reactions: DJL
I'm getting rather concerned about our late inning relief, a position that two weeks ago looked to be a strength. With Strop gone for at least a month (probably longer), and Rondon clearly not right, we seem to be giving up a lot of late inning runs. Luckily, during our recent run, we scored enough to overcome this weakness, but against the better teams we will face in the playoffs, this may come back to bite us.

Lackey's departure last night is troubling, although he claims it is just a bit of stiffness in his shoulder due to a combination of throwing in a extra bullpen session and his age. Hope he's right. He has been much more valuable than our other Cardinal acquisition this season.

Last edited:
I'm getting rather concerned about our late inning relief, a position that two weeks ago looked to be a strength. With Strop gone for at least a month (probably longer), and Rondon clearly not right, we seem to be giving up a lot of late inning runs. Luckily, during our recent run, we scored enough to overcome this weakness, but against the better teams we will face in the playoffs, this may come back to bite us.

Lackey's departure last night is troubling, although he claims it is just a bit of stiffness in his shoulder due to a combination of throwing in a extra bullpen session and his age. Hope he's right. He has been much more valuable than our other Cardinal acquisition this season.
I've had so much fun watching the Cubs this year. The last two games have been two of the most frustrating all year for multiple reasons. I am worried about the bullpen as well. With that said, 12 game lead and time to figure it out. I just hope they can.

I've had so much fun watching the Cubs this year. The last two games have been two of the most frustrating all year for multiple reasons. I am worried about the bullpen as well. With that said, 12 game lead and time to figure it out. I just hope they can.

They don't have much to figure out. If Rondon and Edwards are their 'weak spots' then I'm cool with that as those guys are still insanely good. Revisiting those frustrating losses, I only wish Maddon had a quicker hook with those 2 when it was clear that they were struggling. He obviously believes in the best for these guys and feels they can work out of their jams but sometimes guys are just off for one reason or another. The good news is Chapman is the real deal and should be able to squash some potential rallies down the road.

The cards are a late inning scoring team. That's the way they have played all year so I'm not as concerned as I probably should be. I don't think it'll be a problem for the Cubs down the road unless we play the cards in the playoffs. Ok I'm a little concerned.

The late inning pitchers are garbage

Gosh, you've been such a positive Cubs poster up to this point.

Bryant has been on a real tear lately. Making a push for MVP. And Russell is quietly sneaking up the RBI list. I believe that he is ninth on the National League list now. Pretty impressive, especially considering how low he was hitting in the order for a lot of the season.

Last edited:
Wow the Cubs sure stunk up the place today! Hope they got all the errors out of their system. On to San Diego!

Wow the Cubs sure stunk up the place today! Hope they got all the errors out of their system. On to San Diego!
yeah in a long season you have some bad games and even series. Better to get it out of their system now before the playoffs start.

JH with a 2 run shot tonight. That is not a typo....hopefully he can start picking it up
I was stunned when he hit that HR and I sure would like to see him get the ball in the air more. I really would like for JH to do well. Edwards Jr. came in and got 3 strike outs in the 9th. to shut the Padres down. Back on the winning track!