Chicago Cubs 2016 Thread

I think the Cubs are in a weird spot and they proved it with the Chapman deal. They so badly want to "win now" and they have the team to do it this year, but the Chapman deal just confuses the hell out of me. Chapman isn't really known as a team-first guy so the thought of him offering the cubs a discount next year is silly. They'll either have to pay up or he'll go to someone who will. So they just gave up a pretty good haul for a 2 month closer...when closer wasnt even their problem.

I suppose the Cubs are the one team where if you have a chance you have to go for it, but I always thought Theo was smarter than that....minus the Edwin Jackson deal

What references are you citing that say he is not a good teammate?
Our bullpen was not that strong, it isn't just the "closer" spot. KC had 3 "closers" last year. This greatly increases the depth in our pen.

Our bullpen was not that strong, it isn't just the "closer" spot. KC had 3 "closers" last year. This greatly increases the depth in our pen.
The pen sure looked good last night. I like Rondon in the 8th and Chapman in the 9th a lot. If Strope can lock down the 7th, I feel pretty good that the starters can get us through 6 most nights. Just need to get those bats going and the Cubs will be in good shape.

It sounds like the Cubs tried for Andrew Miller and Wade Davis but the asking price was even higher than what they gave up for Chapman. Both Torres and McKinney were blocked at their positions for the next 4-5 years anyways. So, there really was no point in holding onto them when you have a shot at winning it all this year.

Win the World Series and the trade is worth it even if Chapman leaves after the season. Fail to win it all and not being able to re-sign him would... well... be a kick in the nads.

As for the moral aspect of it, I'm not a fan of him being a Cub at all but there's nothing anyone not named Theo can do about it.

The pen sure looked good last night. I like Rondon in the 8th and Chapman in the 9th a lot. If Strope can lock down the 7th, I feel pretty good that the starters can get us through 6 most nights. Just need to get those bats going and the Cubs will be in good shape.[/QUOT

Absolutely, it worked for KC last year and our starters are much better IMO. We have much more pop in the lineup too. Their baserunning and Defense was probably a tad better.

It was pretty awesome to watch Chapman take care of business in the 8th. In the 9th it's pretty funny to watch the opposition get pi$$ed trying to hit that speeding bullet!

The Cubs game last night against Seattle was an instant classic! So much went on in that game that I'm still trying to figure out just how in the heck the Cubs pulled that one out! Hats off to Wood for all he does for this team and that was a truly remarkable catch in left field. Who would of ever thought Lester with a .059 batting average would put down a perfect squeeze bunt for the win in the 12th. inning? What a game!

Not saying he's not a good teammate. I'm saying he's not going to take a discount to stay in Chicago, he's going to chase the dollars and those dollars will be there waiting for him.

Not saying he's not a good teammate. I'm saying he's not going to take a discount to stay in Chicago, he's going to chase the dollars and those dollars will be there waiting for him.

Yes that is a high possibility, but that is the risk you take to win it all. I'm ok with that this year, you can't be scared to ever make a move and we still have a lot of prospects and young core in tack. I have watched the Cubs long enough to also know all the "can't miss" prospects don't always pan out...Felix Pie, Corey Patterson etc. etc. So to take a known player like Chapman for some guys who "might" be good MLB players 3-5 years down the road is a good risk with the team we have this year IMO. I actually think we'll try and sign Chapman possibly.

How bout Hendricks last night btw! The skinny computer geek looking pitcher just keeps throwing great games.

I would think it would be an eye opener for Chapman to experience what is is like to be a Cub. Full, cheering home games and tons of Cub fans showing up on the road games. State of the art clubhouse and a fun bunch of guys with a quirky, player friendly manager. If they have a successful year, it may be worth a few bucks to stay as opposed to going elsewhere. Still, to some guys, nothing speaks louder that the almighty dollar.

I would think it would be an eye opener for Chapman to experience what is is like to be a Cub. Full, cheering home games and tons of Cub fans showing up on the road games. State of the art clubhouse and a fun bunch of guys with a quirky, player friendly manager. If they have a successful year, it may be worth a few bucks to stay as opposed to going elsewhere. Still, to some guys, nothing speaks louder that the almighty dollar.
We can always hope. I have to admit, once the 7th was over yesterday, I felt like the game was pretty much over. I mean anything can happen, but I'm a lot more comfortable these days with a lead after 7 than I was a month ago.

Hendricks....all I can say is wow. Didn't see this coming at the beginning of the season. His development and consistency has allowed us to not feel pressured to trade for a starter too.
7 in a row boys, we've put the Cards back to 11.5 out I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!
Now we need to go for the best record in the League to get the wild card winner and hopefully avoid their ace first game if possible.

Now nine in a row and 30 over .500. Losing Strop is troublesome, especially with Rondon hurting. But this sure has been a fun stretch. Being a long time Cub fan, I know how hard this type of streak is to maintain. I just hope they can put another one together at seasons end when they really need it.

Now nine in a row and 30 over .500. Losing Strop is troublesome, especially with Rondon hurting. But this sure has been a fun stretch. Being a long time Cub fan, I know how hard this type of streak is to maintain. I just hope they can put another one together at seasons end when they really need it.
I heard Strop is having an MRI on his knee today. Hopefully it's something that doesn't keep him out too long. He's looked good lately. Need the bullpen healthy for the playoffs. In the meantime, I hope we just bury the Cardinals this weekend.

I heard Strop is having an MRI on his knee today. Hopefully it's something that doesn't keep him out too long. He's looked good lately. Need the bullpen healthy for the playoffs. In the meantime, I hope we just bury the Cardinals this weekend.

Sounds like 4-6 weeks on Strop, torn Meniscus. Could have been worse I guess.

Anyone else getting tired of JH grounding out to the second baseman? I was so in hopes that he would improve but it looks like he's not going to change.

Yes, to answer your question.....however, he did just score....but, I agree, I thought he would be a lot more like he was when he played against the Cubs...