Chicago Cubs 2016 Thread

Damn, I went to bed too early....great comeback
And I stayed up way too late. Javy almost scored twice, but somehow we finally got it done. Nice that Rizzo bounced back to tie the game and big Z showing his worth. Also happy to see guys like Soler and especially Heyward hitting the ball.

And I stayed up way too late. Javy almost scored twice, but somehow we finally got it done. Nice that Rizzo bounced back to tie the game and big Z showing his worth. Also happy to see guys like Soler and especially Heyward hitting the ball.

Crazy game, amazing throw by Marte to gun Baez out (the Pirates OF is phenomenal). I think part of what makes this such a great team is there just really isn't a guy on the team that you can dislike for whatever reason. Just a really good group of guys who all seem unselfish and act like they enjoy each other.

Raise your hand if you saw Hendricks becoming the best pitcher on the staff....

Magic # is now 18!

WnJLPEW.gif

Magic # is now 18!
He's been absolutely fantastic this season. I love watching him pitch. But if we had to win one game this year, and you could choose anyone on the staff to start, who would you choose? I'm not so sure it would be Hendricks.

Magic # is now 18!

Before the season everyone was talking about us adding another SP midseason and assuming Hendricks would then be the odd man out and be back at AAA. Not so fast my friends. Unbelievable season thus far and bargain basement price. Even Theo would probably have to admit this has been a nice surprise and unexpected. Dude looks like a computer salesman or something. Pirates manager says it reminds him of Maddux, everything is at the knees and has movement and he changes speeds great.

He's been absolutely fantastic this season. I love watching him pitch. But if we had to win one game this year, and you could choose anyone on the staff to start, who would you choose? I'm not so sure it would be Hendricks.

I think you almost have to move him ahead of Lackey though in a playoff series right? Lester/Jake/Kyle pretty good threesome to start a series.

I think you almost have to move him ahead of Lackey though in a playoff series right? Lester/Jake/Kyle pretty good threesome to start a series.
I agree, and Lackey as a 4th starter with all his experience should be very solid. Hopefully we get the back end of our bullpen back healthy and in line and we should be ready to make a run. I'm as excited and nervous as I've ever been in August about the playoffs. I had a lot of hope the "Bartman" year, but I have even more this year. I just have to remember we have a few year window, it's not all or nothing now.

I agree, and Lackey as a 4th starter with all his experience should be very solid. Hopefully we get the back end of our bullpen back healthy and in line and we should be ready to make a run. I'm as excited and nervous as I've ever been in August about the playoffs. I had a lot of hope the "Bartman" year, but I have even more this year. I just have to remember we have a few year window, it's not all or nothing now.

Yes that is what all Cubs fans need to remember. We should be pretty darn solid for the next 4-5 years minimum barring catastrophic injuries, it isn't all or nothing this year as in years pas. Still hard to believe we have this Schwarber guy waiting in the wings too. Theo and Co. want to build a consistent winner, which is awesome because then every year you are in the hunt which is all you can ask for. I need to keep reminding myself to just enjoy the ride or I will set myself up for a huge huge let down. Its just a game :)

Yes that is what all Cubs fans need to remember. We should be pretty darn solid for the next 4-5 years minimum barring catastrophic injuries, it isn't all or nothing this year as in years pas. Still hard to believe we have this Schwarber guy waiting in the wings too. Theo and Co. want to build a consistent winner, which is awesome because then every year you are in the hunt which is all you can ask for. I need to keep reminding myself to just enjoy the ride or I will set myself up for a huge huge let down. Its just a game :)
I think we are all in the same boat. The crazy part is that we still have a lot of talent in the minors. We have some club friendly contracts for the next few years, so we can still fill any holes with free agents. We have some young guys getting valuable experience in Russell, Baez, Soler, Contreras, ect. And like you said, we have this monster waiting to come back next season. The future is very very bright.

Wow! That wasn't pretty. A 30 pitch inning for Chapman. Oh well the red birds lost and I think that puts us up at least 15? On to the next game.

Wasn't pretty but a win is a win. I think the fact we went 22-6 in August without a Healthy Rondon or Strop for much of it is a good sign though. One of our starters, probably Hammel, will be in the pen for a playoff series I'm guessing too.
Was watching pregame last night, our team defense is #1 right now in defensive efficiency and team defense. Interestingly enough, in this era of shifting we shift the 2nd least amount of any MLB team. Joe has done a phenomenal job of mixing and matching defensive lineups based on whose pitching and the other teams lineups and putting our best guys in certain positions.

. Joe has done a phenomenal job of mixing and matching defensive lineups based on whose pitching and the other teams lineups and putting our best guys in certain positions

Joe is the perfect manager for this team. Lots of managers wouldn't have taken advantage of all the position flexibility and moved guys around defensively. Bryant is a stud at 3B and OF, Baez can play multiple positions, Zobrist as well, and lastly what manage would play a rookie C in the OF like Joe? He does a brilliant job with this team.

Joe is the perfect manager for this team. Lots of managers wouldn't have taken advantage of all the position flexibility and moved guys around defensively. Bryant is a stud at 3B and OF, Baez can play multiple positions, Zobrist as well, and lastly what manage would play a rookie C in the OF like Joe? He does a brilliant job with this team.

Agree, I honestly have never seen anything like it. Anyone else? On top of that though, kudos to the players for embracing it as many old school players just want to be stuck in one spot in the field and batting order.
Kris Bryant ...your typical 2 hole hitter lol ;)
I do think we won't see Contreras in the OF much anymore, he seems to have settled in to the C role. I love him, he plays hard every night and always hustles. Got a cannon for an arm too. There is an outside chance Miggy gets left off the playoff roster, will be a few tough decisions. One...at least, of Miggy, Coughlan, LaStella will have to get left off.

I hear you, but when the playoffs start at Wrigley, unless Hendricks takes a nosedive at the end of the season, I would consider starting him at home in game #1. He is 9-1 with a 1.21 ERA at Wrigley. Then I would start Lester in game #2. He is 7-2 with a 2.01 ERA at home. Arrieta is only 6-3 at Wrigley and 10-2 away from the friendly confines with similar ERAs both home and away. Hammel, if needed, is also way better at home than he is away (9-1 [1.77 ERA] as opposed to 5-6 [4.65 ERA]). Just saying, I would go with the odds.

I hear you, but when the playoffs start at Wrigley, unless Hendricks takes a nosedive at the end of the season, I would consider starting him at home in game #1. He is 9-1 with a 1.21 ERA at Wrigley. Then I would start Lester in game #2. He is 7-2 with a 2.01 ERA at home. Arrieta is only 6-3 at Wrigley and 10-2 away from the friendly confines with similar ERAs both home and away. Hammel, if needed, is also way better at home than he is away (9-1 [1.77 ERA] as opposed to 5-6 [4.65 ERA]). Just saying, I would go with the odds.
I agree. Kyle has amazed me every time he pitches, and it's tough not to give him the ball game 1. He is a legit Cy Young contender. If you would've told me that was possible at the beginning of the season I would've asked you what drugs you were on.
Playoff rosters are 25 right? I would be curious to see who gets left off. Is Hammel even in the picture if Lackey comes back? Does someone go to the bullpen? It' nice that I can start thinking about this on Sept. 1.

I agree. Kyle has amazed me every time he pitches, and it's tough not to give him the ball game 1. He is a legit Cy Young contender. If you would've told me that was possible at the beginning of the season I would've asked you what drugs you were on.
Playoff rosters are 25 right? I would be curious to see who gets left off. Is Hammel even in the picture if Lackey comes back? Does someone go to the bullpen? It' nice that I can start thinking about this on Sept. 1.

Hammel won't be cut, he'll go to the pen and they'd leave off a Pena or someone in the pen before him. He is then the emergency long guy in case one of the SP get hurt etc. in the first inning or something dumb.
Arrietta vs. Bumgarner saturday, great match up! I suppose its on during the Hawks game too. Good thing I just got the 3 tv set up going lol.

Reactions: DJL
I must add to the list and who would ever think of putting your pitcher in the outfield and bring him back to pitch again. Joe is a master at handling this team! Worth every cent they are paying him! Can't wait for the play offs to start!

No Chapman, no Rondon, no Strop? No problem, somehow the bullpen puts together 5 shutout innings, including two from Joe Smith who is back and ready to contribute. Addison Russell comes through with a huge 2 out game winning hit, and the kid Carl Edwards Jr. pitches an uneventful 9th. Have I mentioned how much fun this team is? Magic number is 15.