Chicago Cubs 2016 Thread

No Chapman, no Rondon, no Strop? No problem, somehow the bullpen puts together 5 shutout innings, including two from Joe Smith who is back and ready to contribute. Addison Russell comes through with a huge 2 out game winning hit, and the kid Carl Edwards Jr. pitches an uneventful 9th. Have I mentioned how much fun this team is? Magic number is 15.

Oh yawn..another win, another Russell clutch hit... I'm living in a fantasy land this is just too easy for the Cubs. It isn't supposed to be like this and makes me nervous we are using our hot streak too early :)

No Chapman, no Rondon, no Strop? No problem, somehow the bullpen puts together 5 shutout innings, including two from Joe Smith who is back and ready to contribute. Addison Russell comes through with a huge 2 out game winning hit, and the kid Carl Edwards Jr. pitches an uneventful 9th. Have I mentioned how much fun this team is? Magic number is 15.
Carl Edwards Jr. has been a quite a surprise for the bull pen and I hope he can keep up the great work he's been delivering!

Magic number is 10. It would be great to clinch in St. Louis, but tough. Need to sweep the Brewers and Astros and hope for a couple of Cardinal loses.

Boy, Hammel might be pitching himself out of a spot on the playoff roster all together, forget about moving to the Pen.
We'll have Lester, Jake, Hendricks and Lackey barring injuring in the playoff rotation.
We have Chapman, Rondon, Strop (assuming back), Wood, most likely Montgomery as another lefty in the pen for sure. if we carry 11 pitchers on the roster, that leaves 3 to choose from Grimm (I heard less than a 1 ERA since June), Smith, Cahill, Hammel and Carl Edwards Jr. I don't think I'd take Hammel ahead of Grimm/Smith/Edwards right now personally, so he could be left off unless we carry 12 pitchers.
Will be interesting. If we carry 12 pitchers, then that for sure leaves off a position guy like Miggy, Couglan or LaStella.

Boy, Hammel might be pitching himself out of a spot on the playoff roster all together, forget about moving to the Pen.
We'll have Lester, Jake, Hendricks and Lackey barring injuring in the playoff rotation.
We have Chapman, Rondon, Strop (assuming back), Wood, most likely Montgomery as another lefty in the pen for sure. if we carry 11 pitchers on the roster, that leaves 3 to choose from Grimm (I heard less than a 1 ERA since June), Smith, Cahill, Hammel and Carl Edwards Jr. I don't think I'd take Hammel ahead of Grimm/Smith/Edwards right now personally, so he could be left off unless we carry 12 pitchers.
Will be interesting. If we carry 12 pitchers, then that for sure leaves off a position guy like Miggy, Couglan or LaStella.
You just might be right bogeyman and Hammel has been having a terrible time. I agree Grimm/Smith/Edwards would definitely be keepers imo.

Lead off triple tonight against Houston, and they couldn't score. The entire club seems to be in a hitting/scoring slump right now. Best get it out of the way now and start to regain your mojo in October, I guess.

Nice to see Rondon's return tonight: fastball in mid/high 90's, slider in mid 80's and great control of both. His best outing in months. Would be great great to have the 8th inning locked down once more.

For whatever reason, I always enjoy watching games in Minute Maid Park. Too bad they're doing away with "Tal's Hill" in centerfield. It is definitely unique.

90-50 with 22 more games to improve on last season's 97 wins. I think I'll take the over.

Hendricks had a no hitter going and lost it in the 9th. Crap! Great game by Kyle. 7Ks 2BB's

Felt terrible for The Professor. Never know if you'll ever get that no-hitter and he was so close tonight. Just a dominating performance, without being overpowering. He has got to be in the discussion for the Cy Young.

Last edited:

Latest posts