Canzeri transfer rumblings????

I wasn't referring to you, and I'm not going to single people out. However, there are people in this thread who are trying to claim Iowa would be better off with Weisman as a fullback and a rotation of the other guys at RB (therefore giving Canzeri more carries). I think that's a ridiculous assessment considering the kind of numbers we've seen Weisman put up when he's healthy. Maybe it isn't electrifying to watch, but the dude just gains yards, and when he's close to the endzone he has a nose for it. You can't argue with his production. Canzeri hasn't ever had a game like Weisman production-wise.

Let's not forget that not one BIG coach (including Ferentz) recruited Weisman out of high school as a tailback (Ferentz didn't even recruit him as a fullback, that I'm aware of.) That would be because he is not a BIG caliber tailback. He doesn't have the speed or lateral quickness/ability to be a tailback. In fact, he went to Air Force as a Fullback; but now he is Iowa's best tailback? I am talking about having a tailback with the speed to turn those gash block holes into touchdown runs instead of 25 to 30 yard runs and being caught from behind. This just cost's Iowa points on plays that should be scoring plays.

If you were a tailback being recruited by Iowa and you saw a fullback getting all of the tailback carries, would you really consider Iowa? I wouldn't. There is a part of me that thinks KF used MW so much yesterday because he know the fans like him.

Let's not forget that not one BIG coach (including Ferentz) recruited Weisman out of high school as a tailback (Ferentz didn't even recruit him as a fullback, that I'm aware of.) That would be because he is not a BIG caliber tailback. He doesn't have the speed or lateral quickness/ability to be a tailback. In fact, he went to Air Force as a Fullback; but now he is Iowa's best tailback? I am talking about having a tailback with the speed to turn those gash block holes into touchdown runs instead of 25 to 30 yard runs and being caught from behind. This just cost's Iowa points on plays that should be scoring plays.

If you were a tailback being recruited by Iowa and you saw a fullback getting all of the tailback carries, would you really consider Iowa? I wouldn't. There is a part of me that thinks KF used MW so much yesterday because he know the fans like him.

Yeah and McNutt shouldn't have played WR cuz he wasn't recruited to play that position.

Weisman has taken advantage of this opportunity. I was advocating for canzeri over bullock prior to the season but how can you make the argument to give someone more carries when he hasn't done anything with the ones he's gotten?

also, that's when Mark knocked off that long run, so without that 40 yarder, he'd be sitting at 140 yards on 29 carries against an FCS team, which doesn't really look that impressive.

It was a 29 yard run, not 40. So he had been 29 for 151 for 5.2ypc. But sure, lets ignore his good runs and criticize his remaining stats.

Let's not forget that not one BIG coach (including Ferentz) recruited Weisman out of high school as a tailback (Ferentz didn't even recruit him as a fullback, that I'm aware of.) That would be because he is not a BIG caliber tailback.

Not a single coach in the country recruited Dallas Clark as a tight end. That would be because he is not a college caliber tight end.

It was a 29 yard run, not 40. So he had been 29 for 151 for 5.2ypc. But sure, lets ignore his good runs and criticize his remaining stats.

i'm just saying he shouldn't have been in at that point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think Weisman is our best back. he fits the zone scheme well. but, he looked average at times yesterday though. and i don't think it's a huge achievement to run for even a ton of yards against an FCS school.

can't blame him if true. He's better than bullock but doesn't get a chance. He's apparently 4th team now.

Correct has anyone watched Bullock drop freaking pass after pass. He's not quick enough to bounce the run yet he tries and loses 3 yds every time. He's played enough he should know it. I don't blame Canzeri if he transfers. My estimation they should have kept the redshirt on Daniels moved Canzeri up to the 2 back and reserve Bullock at least what I've seen in the two games. If we lose to ISU and WMU you mail the rest of the season in. This could shape up to be another disaster.

I don't understand why Ferentz decided to burn Daniels red shirt. There were 3 solid rbs ahead of him with 2 others capable of playing in case of AIRBHG making an appearance. I don't think you burn freshmen redshirts if they are 3rd or lower on the depth chart. Because of that single decision it really squeezes whatever role Canzeri has. I think Canzeri has some serious ability and sitting him to play a true freshmen with a similar style to Weisman just doesn't make sense. If you split Daniels touches with the other 2 both of them have a better chance of breaking one. Canzeri has the game breaking ability none of the others have. Weisman has a tough time getting a 30 yard run out of what should have been a 60 yard td. He's just so slow and not elusive.

maybe, but thankfully he transferred to iowa. can you imagine right now if iowa didn't have him?

when you get what we've had in the past few years with folks thinking with their pennis, folks thinking with their smoke (x2, at least), folks thinking they are heavyweight champ of the world instead of a true freshman tailback, and you get down to the three guys that we have now in the backfield, you take what you get and are thankful that these guys don't do the above, or tear an acl.

glass half full guys, glass half full.

First off I am amazed that we are actually going to be able to discuss natural distributions using Iowa's running game! After years of legendary RB attrition this is a great situation to find ourselves in.

There was an interesting thread a while back, maybe here or linked from here, about total team yardage and what is the optimum number of players getting rushing touches vs. maximum individual stats. It looks like this could play out here. Today we had almost a perfect 50 percent distro w/ Weisman getting just shy of 52% of the carries. For any individual player to get a maximum number of yards and increase the team's total yards we need a classic 60 percent distribution (top rusher gets 60% of carries).

The interesting thing, IIRC, was that optimum number of ball carriers was 5. Today we had 6 carriers so we have an odd man out, WR Damon Powell, w/ 1 carry for 2 yds. What's also been missing in this discussion is the amazing fact that our #3 rusher is our QB!

Looking at efficiency (yds/carry) as the main factor, and if we ignore the outlier Powell and give his carry to Weisman, Bullock was the least efficient at 4 yds/carry.

So if a 60% distro is the goal then Weisman should have had about 4 more carries and our #2 rusher should have been Daniels w/ 13 carries.

Rudock would stay at #3 w/ 6 carries, so he looses one to Daniels.

Canzeri would stay at 3 carries and be the #4.

Bullock would give up 8 of his 10, to be redistributed to the top 3, to take the #5 slot. Moving him into the slot makes sense in this scenario.

This would yield about 318 yards on the ground, up from the 296 we saw today.

Of course this is just a numbers exercise and it can't be planned in this detail because Rudock is going to see exploits and be involved in plays that breakdown. That will increase his carries. Canzeri could move into the #3 spot if the play calls favor his speed on the outside and he ups his yds/carry.

Iowa has the reputation of being a run first team and has had an upper tier rusher for most of KF's time at the helm but the stats show this is mostly perception and not reality. Today the stats show something different. Iowa's rushing game was #2 in the B!G today. Only Whisky rushed for more yards as a team. Canzeri will probably never get as many carries as he wants but he certainly can contribute to a more dominate Iowa running game.

I 'm not sure what the optimum distribution is for receivers but he could also contribute out of the slot and, as others have mentioned, on special teams as a return man. There are probably distributions for the return game too.

Like most people on here, I really don't know a lot about football, but this is impressive.

Weisman has certainly taken advantage of his opportunity. That isn't the point. Who on here believes Weisman is a BIG caliber tailback with the speed and lateral ability to convert on scoring plays? He had multiple runs last season for big chunks that should have been for 6 points that weren't. He leaves points on the field. If you all are happy with that, good for you. I am not. Let him be the battering ram that scores all the damn touchdowns inside the 5. But he should not be the featured tailback between the 20's.

Weisman has certainly taken advantage of his opportunity. That isn't the point. Who on here believes Weisman is a BIG caliber tailback with the speed and lateral ability to convert on scoring plays? He had multiple runs last season for big chunks that should have been for 6 points that weren't. He leaves points on the field. If you all are happy with that, good for you. I am not. Let him be the battering ram that scores all the damn touchdowns inside the 5. But he should not be the featured tailback between the 20's.

who should be the feature back? canzeri?

that position, as i noted above, has had some massive attrition in the past few years. as with DL.

it is what it is at this point. thank goodness iowa has weisman.

Imported...for some reason I can't quote your last reply. But in my opinion, Daniels should be the feature with a rotation of Canzeri and Bullock. Canzeri and bullock seem to fit GD's scheme for passing out of the backfield but can run; you can't key the pass play with them in the game. I just see a lot of Shonn Greene in Daniels (not at all saying he is another S.G., but I see the talent.) Weisman definitely should be that short yardage first down/touchdown back. Just not a feature tailback. That's my opinion and I think I am right.

I hope not. I think he is actually the best mixture of size, speed & elusiveness. Going into the season, I thought he had the best chance of ending up getting the most carries throughout the year. But, I'm not on the coaching staff. I thought he had the most upside. I'd hate to see him go.

Imported...for some reason I can't quote your last reply. But in my opinion, Daniels should be the feature with a rotation of Canzeri and Bullock. Canzeri and bullock seem to fit GD's scheme for passing out of the backfield but can run; you can't key the pass play with them in the game. I just see a lot of Shonn Greene in Daniels (not at all saying he is another S.G., but I see the talent.) Weisman definitely should be that short yardage first down/touchdown back. Just not a feature tailback. That's my opinion and I think I am right.

I think that is what you will see, but it will need time. We'll see if he is that HR type back. Not sure about that. They certainly aren't going to rush the process when Weisman is doing what he is doing. Say what you will, but he now has over 1000 yards rushing the ball in less than a full season of games, on what can be or has been described as a 'terrible iowa team'. that should say something. I remember watching a certain running back in the early, early KF days - he played NFL for a long time, and he got stoned time after time running behind that OL.

I think Bullock is more of a '3rd down' or 'situational' back who can run or catch out of the backfield. Canzeri is that as well, but he doesn't catch efficiently enough to be ahead of Bullock. Bullock has shown good hands (with the exception of that screen pass).

Latest posts