Canzeri transfer rumblings????

I don't understand why Ferentz decided to burn Daniels red shirt. There were 3 solid rbs ahead of him with 2 others capable of playing in case of AIRBHG making an appearance. I don't think you burn freshmen redshirts if they are 3rd or lower on the depth chart. Because of that single decision it really squeezes whatever role Canzeri has. I think Canzeri has some serious ability and sitting him to play a true freshmen with a similar style to Weisman just doesn't make sense. If you split Daniels touches with the other 2 both of them have a better chance of breaking one. Canzeri has the game breaking ability none of the others have. Weisman has a tough time getting a 30 yard run out of what should have been a 60 yard td. He's just so slow and not elusive.

They played him because he is better. I predict he will lead Iowa in rushing at least a couple times this year.

You are so wrong that it isn't even funny.

Well, he is being featured, by the only coach in the BIG that would feature, as a tailback...he just shouldn't be. We shall see. I believe you'll see Daniels as the #1 tailback by season's end. Unless Ferentz still thinks playing the less talented players is the way to win games.

I think if our offense was better we wouldn't need Weisman at RB and he could go back to FB and it would make a lot more sense to have someone like Canzeri start with Daniels as 2nd string (for now). That being said, they're obviously using Weisman because of the same logic that they used Vandenberg last year. Explanation: "He gives us the greatest chance to win." << That is the Ferentz explanation, not mine... but it's clearly the reason why they were using him so much today. I almost feel bad for how many carries he had to take today, absolutely insane workload. He's a talented player but he was being overused today.

Its a classic Ferentz move. We have 4 running backs so what does he do, uses only one on the majority of the carries and the one that is the slowest.

I should have know that Bullock and Canzeri weren't going to be used in the slot either.

Well, just today Weisman had 30 carries, Bullock 10, Daniels 6, Canzeri 3. They distributed the ball. Weisman is the best player, why should they take his carries away?

The same fanbase that screams that the coaches purposely don't play the best guy suddenly want the coaches to sit #1 for #4.

He MAY be the best player but hes certainly not significantly better than the others to get such a disproportionate work load.

Seriously even if he is the best player why in the world do you run him 30 times against a freaking 1aa.

Just classic stupid tight assed Ferentz.

I believe Daniels is that guy. Weisman is good at reading the zone blocking and taking what he can get, but there is a reason he can run for 100+ yards and Iowa still sucks. He isn't a game changer.
The reason he can run for a lot of yards and we still suck is that our defense is terrible and we have no serviceable WRs. He is a superior player to Coker in 2011 and that offense was still pretty good.

Its a classic Ferentz move. We have 4 running backs so what does he do, uses only one on the majority of the carries and the one that is the slowest.

I should have know that Bullock and Canzeri weren't going to be used in the slot either.

yeah, you'd want to play less the guy who carries the ball the most, AND has the highest YPC among the backs. Makes sense.

yeah, you'd want to play less the guy who carries the ball the most, AND has the highest YPC among the backs. Makes sense.

"Well, I don't care about so-called productivity, he doesn't look the part!"

These same morons would've benched Chuck Long because of his side-arm delivery, or played Dan McGwire over Chuck Hartleib. Also reminiscent of the old scouts bickering in "Moneyball".

So you really think Weisman is that much better than the other 3?

Do you seriously not grasp the numerouse benefits of splitting up the carries?

Knee jerk reaction protect Ferentz posts are stupid.

Bullock did not nor could not have the same production as weisman simply because so many of Weisman's yards are after contact. Bullock goes down on conact. Lot a good all that speed does him hu?

He MAY be the best player but hes certainly not significantly better than the others to get such a disproportionate work load.

Seriously even if he is the best player why in the world do you run him 30 times against a freaking 1aa.

Just classic stupid tight assed Ferentz.

What's your gripe here? That they ran him 30 times, and much more than the other backs; or they ran him 30 times vs a FCS team? Your hatred towards KirFer is making you run in circles.

And the Hebrew Hammer got so many runs because he was the only guy consistently getting the needed yards. He was used so much late in the game to grind it out and run the clock.

I just have to ask... Did you even watch the game?

Weird, I didn't know sharing facts that contradict your position are "knee jerk reactions protecting Ferentz".

Weisman had 30 of the 51 RB carries, or 59%. Meaning 41% of the carries weren't Weisman, so your accusation of not "splitting up the carries" is factually nonsense. But in all fairness, isn't 59% high? Let's look around at some other teams yesterday:

Ohio State: Hall had 13 of the 30 RB carries (43%)
Wisconsin: White 22-47 (47%)
Nebraska: Abdullah 17-39 (44%)
Northwestern: Green 14-32 (44%)

Definitely spread the ball around more. But those games were blowouts, with more opportunities for backups. Iowa's, unfortunately, was not; so let's look at more comparable games, close contests where the starters played longer:

Michigan: Toussaint 22-26 (85%)
Notre Dame: Carlisle 12-18 (66%)
Arkansas: Collins 24-47 (51%)
Texas: Gray 13-21 (62%)
BYU: Williams 30-54 (56%)
WSU: Mason 11-15 (73%)
USC: Madden 32-38 (84%)
Georgia: Gurley 30-48 (63%)
South Carolina: Davis 16-20 (80%)

Interesting. Do these coaches seriously not grasp the numerouse benefits of splitting up the carries?

i had a fact behind my post. Weisman leads the RBs in carries, yards and YPC. That is rare that the leader carrier also has the leading YPC if he is sharing carries. Because, if one guy has 5 carries, and has one long one, it skews the YPC up. (i thought i'd better explain that to you, given you think a factual post is a 'knee jerk reax).

what i think is stupid is calling a guy out as a knee jerk reactionary when he is posting fact. especially when the guy calling another guys post as stupid and then not posting any fact to back it up, only subjectivity i.e. knee jerk emotion.

Weird, I didn't know sharing facts that contradict your position are "knee jerk reactions protecting Ferentz".

Weisman had 30 of the 51 RB carries, or 59%. Meaning 41% of the carries weren't Weisman, so your accusation of not "splitting up the carries" is factually nonsense. But in all fairness, isn't 59% high? Let's look around at some other teams yesterday:

Ohio State: Hall had 13 of the 30 RB carries (43%)
Wisconsin: White 22-47 (47%)
Nebraska: Abdullah 17-39 (44%)
Northwestern: Green 14-32 (44%)

Definitely spread the ball around more. But those games were blowouts, with more opportunities for backups. Iowa's, unfortunately, was not; so let's look at more comparable games, close contests where the starters played longer:

Michigan: Toussaint 22-26 (85%)
Notre Dame: Carlisle 12-18 (66%)
Arkansas: Collins 24-47 (51%)
Texas: Gray 13-21 (62%)
BYU: Williams 30-54 (56%)
WSU: Mason 11-15 (73%)
USC: Madden 32-38 (84%)
Georgia: Gurley 30-48 (63%)
South Carolina: Davis 16-20 (80%)

Interesting. Do these coaches seriously not grasp the numerouse benefits of splitting up the carries?

typically, ferentz gets blasted for 'not using more than 1 guy'. except in this case. to many on this board, ferentz can do no right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't there been "smoke signals" from this kid's camp since the day after he signed. He is the fastest guy on the team for the past two years, but can't hit the hole or break a tack to get into open space. I don't see him having the balance to stay on his feet after getting hit like Weisman. His highlight reel in High School had a bunch of punt returns, so he can return kicks. I just don't see him as a running back we are going to use often. If he is another "trackthlete" like Chaney he may as well transfer to get playing time he isn't getting here. Wiesman and Daniels are the Ferentz-Backs that the coaches have in their gemplans, not skinny scat-backs.

Haven't there been "smoke signals" from this kid's camp since the day after he signed. He is the fastest guy on the team for the past two years, but can't hit the hole or break a tack to get into open space. I don't see him having the balance to stay on his feet after getting hit like Weisman. His highlight reel in High School had a bunch of punt returns, so he can return kicks. I just don't see him as a running back we are going to use often. If he is another "trackthlete" like Chaney he may as well transfer to get playing time he isn't getting here. Wiesman and Daniels are the Ferentz-Backs that the coaches have in their gemplans, not skinny scat-backs.

no chance he is the fastest guy on the team.

Imported, do you have some actual connection to the program, either through family or by employment? I don't mean any offense by that, just curious.

Imported, do you have some actual connection to the program, either through family or by employment? I don't mean any offense by that, just curious.

I doubt he does, but I assume his point is that Powell is on the team now, so there is no chance Canzeri is the fastest player. Which would be accurate, IMO.

Let's not forget that not one BIG coach (including Ferentz) recruited Weisman out of high school as a tailback (Ferentz didn't even recruit him as a fullback, that I'm aware of.) That would be because he is not a BIG caliber tailback. He doesn't have the speed or lateral quickness/ability to be a tailback. In fact, he went to Air Force as a Fullback; but now he is Iowa's best tailback? I am talking about having a tailback with the speed to turn those gash block holes into touchdown runs instead of 25 to 30 yard runs and being caught from behind. This just cost's Iowa points on plays that should be scoring plays.

If you were a tailback being recruited by Iowa and you saw a fullback getting all of the tailback carries, would you really consider Iowa? I wouldn't. There is a part of me that thinks KF used MW so much yesterday because he know the fans like him.

Lets not forget that fullbacks at Air Force get used quite differently than at most places. They run the same triple offense that Navy and Georgia Tech do, where the fullback is the feature back (see: Jonathan Dwyer at GT a few years ago).

Is Weisman a special back? No. But he's more than serviceable behind a line of this caliber, and he's currently our best option.

Latest posts