BTN at Iowa Open Practice

I think he means elevating over Sokol, who is definitely an upperclassman.

Does this mean Sokol will quit or transfer? That seems to be the prevailing trend in college sports, any way.

Still, kind of weird that KF states who is leading, in second, etc., while at the same time stating he will let it "play out".

Wouldn't you rather know where you stand at this point if you were one of them? I think Ferentz is just being honest and up front with them as well as with the fans. I don't see why that's weird. Even if I was the odd man out like Sokol seems to be I would appreciate knowing that ahead of time. That way when a decision is made it won't be as crushing as it might have been had he not known.

i'd take it as good i guess...only going off of what someone tweeted earlier about throwing the best ball and has the best arm of the 3. but someone did say qb is a big question mark still and they're all making mistakes.

but you know me, i'm an optimist, lol

perhaps beathard is closer to rudock than we realize and could overtake him

This must be the case, as KirFer was within a few days of naming a QB a few days ago. Now wants more time. I think Beathard is obviously pushing hard down this final stretch. I wouldn't be surprised to see this play out all the way up to/into the season.

That's not all that weird. It's like a third quarter score update. If the race ended today, it would be Rudock, Beathard, Sokol. But the race isn't over just yet.

I meant "weird" for KF. We've gone this long, only to hear Rudock leads, Beathard second...but it will "play out".
Usually, he tells "nothing" or "everything".

I wonder, too, if Sokol is "out of it".

Wouldn't you rather know where you stand at this point if you were one of them? I think Ferentz is just being honest and up front with them as well as with the fans. I don't see why that's weird. Even if I was the odd man out like Sokol seems to be I would appreciate knowing that ahead of time. That way when a decision is made it won't be as crushing as it might have been had he not known.

Oh, I think the players know where they stand without KF or an assistant having to tell them. I meant "weird" in that KF is not a big revealer, OR he tells "all". I guess the "play out" means the depth chart just isn't etched in stone, yet. And it might be fluid for several weeks.

We very well could see Beathard push his way to at least sharing reps that first game. Most thought 4 months ago he was pretty much #3 on the chart, but there were a few connected people that said the staff really liked his potential and were hoping he would start fulfilling it sooner rather than later. Sounds like he is coming on strong. Ideally, it would be nice if a QB stepped up and took the spot over handily, but at the same time there is also the opportunity to see which one is going to be the "gamer."

perhaps beathard is closer to rudock than we realize and could overtake him

IMO this. In an ideal world, you would have your starting QB determined by now. After today there are only a handful more days of camp to go before game prep for NIU starts. I believe one of the tweets said Rudock is in the lead "right now". We have heard whispers over the last 6 months that the coaches were enamored with Beathard's potential, and players predicting him to win the starting position. He obviously has the physical tools; it is just a matter of putting everything else together. We'll see if he can do that enough in the next couple days to overtake Rudock.

I think its a good sign, if Beathard is still right there at Rudocks heals trying to win the spot let it play out. As long as they field the QB that gives the Hawks the best shot at beating NIU so be it. I just don't want a repeat of last year so I'm all for letting the race continue to play out until Friday the 30th if that's what it takes.

I was thinking Cooper would have beaten out Trinca-Pasat. I thought Pasat wasn't very good last year at all. Cooper I thought was a lighter quicker guy that'd make a great compliment to Carl Davis. I think Johnson will be a solid big guy to spell Davis from time to time and I really hope Ott can rush the passer off the edge. To me the Dline is the lynch pin of this season. If they are healthy and improve alot from last year that's where this team can make their hay. It helps the rest of the back end do what they do and obviously the offense with getting the ball back via turnover or 3 and outs in hopefully good field position.

Qb battle getting spicy!!!!!!!!!!!! I like it. Youd like all three Qbs to think in their head that they got a chance. I think competition goes down as soon as a player sees that they are not in the running anymore.

BTN's Instagram account has a pretty solid collection of photos and videos from today's practice:

Instagram

Edit: Includes video of Beathard with the 1's

I was thinking Cooper would have beaten out Trinca-Pasat. I thought Pasat wasn't very good last year at all. Cooper I thought was a lighter quicker guy that'd make a great compliment to Carl Davis. I think Johnson will be a solid big guy to spell Davis from time to time and I really hope Ott can rush the passer off the edge. To me the Dline is the lynch pin of this season. If they are healthy and improve alot from last year that's where this team can make their hay. It helps the rest of the back end do what they do and obviously the offense with getting the ball back via turnover or 3 and outs in hopefully good field position.

Based on what I've seen this fall, Cooper and LTP are pretty much the same size.

And Bullock signs the bus....

large.jpg

I thought Sokol was a Junior. And he's moved above him, right

I think he means elevating over Sokol, who is definitely an upperclassman.

Does this mean Sokol will quit or transfer? That seems to be the prevailing trend in college sports, any way.

Still, kind of weird that KF states who is leading, in second, etc., while at the same time stating he will let it "play out".

My bad. I thought FreedComanche meant above Rudock.

Latest posts