Bruce Harreld Speaks

For him to throw this out as a pandering attempt because the athletic department did its usual poor job with p.r. is pretty ridiculous. Could just one bad incident be handled semi-decently at some point by this crew.....please?! Between the espn gameday, the isu fan with the busch beer fundraiser for the kids hospital, and everything else, it is absolutely ridiculous that this is still in the news cycle. And shame on both presidents and athletic directors for letting it be so. There was so much awesome from this game and this series this week, it is a travesty that we have to talk about this, that its in the news, and following the most important, and one of the best cy-hawk games ever, were talking about cancelling it. Hey Iowa, hey ISU, get off your arses and fix this now so the news cycle can stay where it belongs, two rival teams starting a fundraiser on one side that raises millions of dollars for the other sides kids hospital. Everything great about this series came out this week, and now this stupid thing is still a topic because our AD's and Schools can't figure out how to handle tough situations well. ughhhh

I usually agree with you all the time but this isn't a stupid thing. We're talking about people being hurt here. Leave up to the clowns to always screw something up! Just wait until basketball rolls around.

I know I am probably in the minority here, but I think Gary was going after this and was going to go after it hard. I think he was going to do the right thing on this one. I think he was told to step down and play nice with Pollturd. And now, I think he is been set up as the scapegoat.
I’m skeptical. This followed the Barta playbook.

It was a series that should not have been renewed. Iowa was the reluctant participant according to some accounts. Evidently Iowa dropped the series due to some sportsmanship issues between the two programs. The lack of civility today is far worse than the circumstances at the time of no-renewal. I don't believe either University is capable of managing the necessary security in a charged environment like that in Ames.

One of the reasons for resuming the series was the economic benefits to the state and the athletic programs. However that reason is no longer valid, both programs seem to have solved there money issues and other than a few businesses in IC and Ames most businesses probably lose traffic.

If the ISU crowd wants to accuse Iowa of dodging the mighty Cyclones then so be it. Peoples personal safety has to come before anything else. I don't think the University of Iowa can control its fans any better than ISU can. What the UI can do is eliminate the circumstances under which can occur. Right now is a time step away from this game.

I usually agree with you all the time but this isn't a stupid thing. We're talking about people being hurt here. Leave up to the clowns to always screw something up! Just wait until basketball rolls around.
i'm with you on the seriousness of the issue. my point isn't that they should just do nothing, or pretend like it didn't happen, my point is with all this last couple weeks was positive, you have to go take care of this immediately. you don't wait till the uproar because you did nothing about it to go take care of it. you go hammer away, find out what you need to find out, investigate the crap out of it, do whatever you gotta do, immediately, so that this doesn't become as big of a deal as it has (not because its not a legit story) but because you've gotten on top of it, people have come to justice, and a legit resolution took place. if somebody did something, we've investigated, police reports filed, and the story is some jerks were arrested for being awful, not you let this blow up into another, well now the university is doing this, in response to backlash, and now were talking about cancelling the game when you just had the single most important game of the series other than maybe 2001's.

i'm with you on the seriousness of the issue. my point isn't that they should just do nothing, or pretend like it didn't happen, my point is with all this last couple weeks was positive, you have to go take care of this immediately. you don't wait till the uproar because you did nothing about it to go take care of it. you go hammer away, find out what you need to find out, investigate the crap out of it, do whatever you gotta do, immediately, so that this doesn't become as big of a deal as it has (not because its not a legit story) but because you've gotten on top of it, people have come to justice, and a legit resolution took place. if somebody did something, we've investigated, police reports filed, and the story is some jerks were arrested for being awful, not you let this blow up into another, well now the university is doing this, in response to backlash, and now were talking about cancelling the game when you just had the single most important game of the series other than maybe 2001's.

Ok I can agree with that. I'm on the side of get rid of the game. At least give it a rest. It's not going to calm down.

It was a series that should not have been renewed. Iowa was the reluctant participant according to some accounts. Evidently Iowa dropped the series due to some sportsmanship issues between the two programs. The lack of civility today is far worse than the circumstances at the time of no-renewal. I don't believe either University is capable of managing the necessary security in a charged environment like that in Ames.

One of the reasons for resuming the series was the economic benefits to the state and the athletic programs. However that reason is no longer valid, both programs seem to have solved there money issues and other than a few businesses in IC and Ames most businesses probably lose traffic.

If the ISU crowd wants to accuse Iowa of dodging the mighty Cyclones then so be it. Peoples personal safety has to come before anything else. I don't think the University of Iowa can control its fans any better than ISU can. What the UI can do is eliminate the circumstances under which can occur. Right now is a time step away from this game.

People are crazy these days..Drunken mobs are the rule at both venues. Shall we wait for something even more serious to happen? I think many in Eastern Iowa and out of State have no idea the real hatred ISU fans have for Iowa. You folks do not have to live it every day like those of us who live near Ames. Ending this game would mean nothing, financially for either team. Both could easily find suitable opponents to play. ISU could schedule a game they are likely to win instead of this game they are likely to lose. These brothers obviously can't play well together so they need to be separated. Our State will be just fine without this game. Maybe they can hook up in the playoffs someday.

With some hyperbole I wrote in another thread there are not enough law enforcement officers in the State of Iowa to protect the visitors if the game is played next year and the CyClown marching band comes to Iowa City. But I was semi-serious.

If the game is played, there will need to be a MASSIVE law enforcement presence. I don’t condone violence or want anyone to get hurt. But the emotions are running so strong now and likely will be ginned up ahead of a 2020 game the series should take a hiatus simply from a public safety standpoint.

Harreld is an empty suit. Just leave the bands at home and lets get back to dishing out annual beatings to little brother.

People are crazy these days..Drunken mobs are the rule at both venues. Shall we wait for something even more serious to happen? I think many in Eastern Iowa and out of State have no idea the real hatred ISU fans have for Iowa. You folks do not have to live it every day like those of us who live near Ames. Ending this game would mean nothing, financially for either team. Both could easily find suitable opponents to play. ISU could schedule a game they are likely to win instead of this game they are likely to lose. These brothers obviously can't play well together so they need to be separated. Our State will be just fine without this game. Maybe they can hook up in the playoffs someday.

Every rivalry has strong dislike. The issue is the management of alcohol consumption as well has law enforcement and either a lack of policy or lack of enforcement. It was predictable when on Gameday the a fan knocked a flag a Hawk fan was holding. It was aggressive and if I remember right was a female attacking a male. We have upper U management by people that don't live in a real world. Many haven't begun to adjust to social media. They can't squash things like they were mentored to do. This is the same basic issue that confronted PSU and MSU.

Every rivalry has strong dislike. The issue is the management of alcohol consumption as well has law enforcement and either a lack of policy or lack of enforcement. It was predictable when on Gameday the a fan knocked a flag a Hawk fan was holding. It was aggressive and if I remember right was a female attacking a male. We have upper U management by people that don't live in a real world. Many haven't begun to adjust to social media. They can't squash things like they were mentored to do. This is the same basic issue that confronted PSU and MSU.

Why deal with it? Is it not easier just not to play the game? Judging by the responses on this site, most would not miss this game at all. Guessing most ISU fans would rather have a more winnable game on their schedule every year.

If they continue this game, and I hope that they don't, it should be a mandatory 11 am start. No sense giving the mobs more time to drink. This game is no longer good for the state of Iowa. Iowa has absolutely nothing to gain, or prove by playing ISU. Put Missouri on the schedule, get more exposure in St. Louis, get a game with Notre Dame, Pitt. We have plenty of rivalry games with schools that have classier fan bases. ISU needs us, we don't need them. We have Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois.....they have Baylor and TCU.

Remember when Kirk hired a coach to help him with PR? I'd say Farta & Bruce could learn something from the Captain.[/QUOTE
I hate the game and wish it was gone with the wind, but Harreld is doing nothing but posturing when he mentions not playing the game anymore. That's a bluff made by a man who knows there's not a chance in hell his bluff ever gets called.

Write it down...

There is no chance that Harreld gets rid of this shit game. Not next year, not ever.
Pres and AD met in our Space Program. It was on TV. 'Lost in Space' Crash Landed in Iowa. Are we not lucky? Damage to them? One only can wonder huh?

Latest posts