Bruce Harreld Speaks

Then pertinent question regarding this rivalry game going forward is this:

Is the marching band necessary to play a road football game.

Sneaked a glance at the cyclone web page, claiming that Pollard is hitting back at Iowa. Their perspective, as I didn't watch the press conference. Iowa should drop the game, tell ISU to go schedule Drake again. Let their fans batter the Drake band. Bully for Harreld.

Then pertinent question regarding this rivalry game going forward is this:

Is the marching band necessary to play a road football game.
No, but now Iowa has a reason to drop the game, before there wasn't other than playing ISU doesn't help Iowa at all. ISU needs this game way more than Iowa, it's a mosquito in Iowa's ear.

Iowa State took their best shot this year, certain they would win, and they came up short (again). So, what's the point.

They would have to prove some sort of claim against the U, what would that claim be?

You'd have to ask an attorney, but I'm sure they could come up with something...probably related to insuring their safety on a University sponsored trip. At least one band member would seem to have some basis for a claim due to their physical injury.

Also, I don't know if not doing an imaginary investigation is a sound basis for a civil tort.

What does that even mean... "not doing an imaginary investigation"?

One of the first questions a company/school/organization is going to be asked is...

-When you were made aware of the allegations, did you do any kind fact finding or investigation to determine what happened?

That's why most organizations immediately respond to something like this with "we're still gathering facts...or investigating to understand exactly what happened. We take this seriously." (something so fundamental even Barta should know it. But instead he led with a joint statement with Pollard)

You're asking the wrong question.

Should an away game be so dangerous or uncertain that the band (or other university group) can't safely attend?
Not the wrong question. It is just a matter of prioritizing the questions.

Yours is the primary question.
But we know the answer to that. Self-discipline is an elective course.

So if it cannot be made reasonably safe then my question is the pertinent question.

This has little to do with Iowa State. It has happened everywhere and throughout collegiate football history. The Iowa-Illinois series was suspended for years because players ended up in the hospital and near rioting with fans.

No, but now Iowa has a reason to drop the game, before there wasn't other than playing ISU doesn't help Iowa at all. ISU needs this game way more than Iowa, it's a mosquito in Iowa's ear.

Iowa State took their best shot this year, certain they would win, and they came up short (again). So, what's the point.
The point is — it’s a rivalry game.

If not ISU, then it will be a Vanderbilt or USF.
No thanks.

You're asking the wrong question.

Should an away game be so dangerous or uncertain that the band (or other university group) can't safely attend?

This is a good question. I think away games are very dangerous for rival fans and university groups (including the band). Particularly the further you move away from an 11am start time.

I not going to go into personal details but if you've been to enough stadiums you don't need me to go into details. Sooner or later as a rival fan or group, you will run into the wrong person and shit will happen. Including IC. Sometimes things get defused but other times, like 10 days ago, they don't.

But once again back to the personal experience, any rival fan expecting stadium security or local police to keep them safe is as foolish and thinking a bar bouncer will keep you safe in the rival bar after the game.

But once again back to the personal experience, any rival fan expecting stadium security or local police to keep them safe is as foolish and thinking a bar bouncer will keep you safe in the rival bar after the game.

This is why I will not go to a pro sports game wearing opposing team colors. NFL fans, in particular, are horrible. At least with a college game, there is a substantial percentage of the fans who will be alums and have some level of critical thinking skills, but at NFL games, there are a lot of dudes with very poorly developed frontal lobes who are generally not safe to be around for extended periods.

This is why I will not go to a pro sports game wearing opposing team colors. NFL fans, in particular, are horrible. At least with a college game, there is a substantial percentage of the fans who will be alums and have some level of critical thinking skills, but at NFL games, there are a lot of dudes with very poorly developed frontal lobes who are generally not safe to be around for extended periods.

Yep. That's pretty much asking to get hit. I learned this lesson at my first NFL game as a teenager. Ever been to a night game at Lambeau or Joe Robbie/Shark Beer/Hard Rock/whatever name they have now in Miami, Florida stadium?

Damn, if you want to see some drunken idiots starting fights, you'll get your fill there many times over.

This is a good question. I think away games are very dangerous for rival fans and university groups (including the band). Particularly the further you move away from an 11am start time.

I not going to go into personal details but if you've been to enough stadiums you don't need me to go into details. Sooner or later as a rival fan or group, you will run into the wrong person and shit will happen. Including IC. Sometimes things get defused but other times, like 10 days ago, they don't.

That's true. But we're not talking about fan A and fan B stuff....we're talking about actions against the official party of one school.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weak analogy. One is a University stadium on campus with clearly printed codes of conduct on the tickets and grounds.

The other is a bar.

You're gonna love the game next year...even a "boo" will get you attention from Kinnick security.

Perhaps the unduly length of the game accelerated the effect of alcohol consumption

After at least six hours of drinking, followed by the incredible mishandling of the last ISU punt of the game which made the entire team look like Bozos, the drunk punk clowns were humiliated and felt entitled to abuse the defenseless band members who were certainly vulnerable in many ways

It really might be time to end the series which I have enjoyed, but the temper of the times and the hatred is becoming overwhelming. Ames has had crowd control problems for a long time. Veishea became a drunken mess with out of control angry rubes looking for an ass to kick

Might be time to let cowtown wrangle their own cattle

Perhaps the unduly length of the game accelerated the effect of alcohol consumption

After at least six hours of drinking, followed by the incredible mishandling of the last ISU punt of the game which made the entire team look like Bozos, the drunk punk clowns were humiliated and felt entitled to abuse the defenseless band members who were certainly vulnerable in many ways

It really might be time to end the series which I have enjoyed, but the temper of the times and the hatred is becoming overwhelming. Ames has had crowd control problems for a long time. Veishea became a drunken mess with out of control angry rubes looking for an ass to kick

Might be time to let cowtown wrangle their own cattle

Just checked the first paragraph and it is maybe the longest sentence I have ever written even without a period at the end

Damn

Latest posts