Bruce Harreld Speaks

Under what grounds?

If students were traveling on a University sponsored activity and encountered events including physical injury, the school could be liable. If the University then tried to sweep it under the rug rather than acknowledge and address it... it adds another layer.

Students have been injured on University trips elsewhere and families sued successfully.

If students were traveling on a University sponsored activity and encountered events including physical injury, the school could be liable. If the University then tried to sweep it under the rug rather than acknowledge and address it... it adds another layer.

Students have been injured on University trips elsewhere and families sued successfully.
They would have to prove some sort of claim against the U, what would that claim be?

Also, I don't know if not doing an imaginary investigation is a sound basis for a civil tort.

Why punish the band?

Its not punishing the band. This isn't about a band. Its about the potential cancelling of a football series because of a band. The game does not require a band to be played. And from what transpired last weekend, the move would be to protect the band, not punish it.

Bottom line, you roll into a football stadium with the visiting teams colors on, you're asking for trouble. That includes IC. You may get away with it over and over again for years but eventually it will catch up with you. I won't even go to Camp Randall or Lambeau Field anymore (I even root for GB) because their fans are too drunk and aggressive.

Add to that the fact that bands wear the most ridiculous looking outfits I've ever seen and its like waving a baby in front of a pit bull. There is no way a police force or any security can protect an entire band. So the only logical thing to do is leave them at home.

Its not punishing the band. This isn't about a band. Its about the potential cancelling of a football series because of a band. The game does not require a band to be played. And from what transpired last weekend, the move would be to protect the band, not punish it.

Bottom line, you roll into a football stadium with the visiting teams colors on, you're asking for trouble. That includes IC. You may get away with it over and over again for years but eventually it will catch up with you. I won't even go to Camp Randall or Lambeau Field anymore (I even root for GB) because their fans are too drunk and aggressive.

Add to that the fact that bands wear the most ridiculous looking outfits I've ever seen and its like waving a baby in front of a pit bull. There is no way a police force or any security can protect an entire band. So the only logical thing to do is leave them at home.

and like i said stupid response to the ISU bs....and dumb idea

Why punish the band?
Wouldn't it be more punishment to force them to go to a place where they will be verbally attacked and physically assaulted? Skip that game and send them to a different one. Who the hell wants to go to Ames anyway?

Not sending the band is an efficient, practical and effective remedy to the problem. To send them is opening the university up to another lawsuit. I can hear it in court now. "You mean to tell me, that there is a history of violence on the part of isu fans towards the Iowa band, and you decided it wise to send them there again?"

The legal requirement is in place as signed contracts to play these games. Now without having read these contracts they may have an out clause for a variety of circumstances. I am not sure how Missouri got out of their multigame contract with Iowa about 8 to 10 years ago. Maybe Missou had a clause to buy their way out by a certain date.

Does anyone know what the subtleties of these contracts contain?

failure to maintain player, coach and student safety. Didn't someone post the buyout is like $1 million?? You could Venmo and pay that easily!

They would have to prove some sort of claim against the U, what would that claim be?

Only viable cause of action against Iowa is negligence. If Iowa is responsible for the band's safety (which would be an issue in and of itself in the trial), if they only provided 4 cops and allowed the band to get separated, they might have been negligent. As I said in another thread, Iowa immediately went into full on cover your ass mode.

Only viable cause of action against Iowa is negligence. If Iowa is responsible for the band's safety (which would be an issue in and of itself in the trial), if they only provided 4 cops and allowed the band to get separated, they might have been negligent. As I said in another thread, Iowa immediately went into full on cover your ass mode.
I would agree that negligence would be the only basis.
But to prove negligence, the lawyers would have to prove that the U either failed to listen to previous concerns or were completely off base with the amount of protection provided.

The U's lawyer would easily be able to counter any claim that the U was at fault for the band getting separated because 1. the band members are adults, 2. I am sure that the band officials told the band to stay together. (Not victim blaming on my part, just looking at things from a legal perspective).

Chances are that both schools would be listed as co-defendants. Iowa's best bet would be to turn it and try to prove that ISU was negligent in providing a safe environment of the members of the band.

So, was the UI intentionally placing them in harms way, or was the U being negligent in providing adequate protection?

ISU would be primarily responsible for security in my opinion. KF is the only one with the constant companion from the state patrol.

Band members have said the physical violence was new / unexpected. So it`d be tough to prove inadequate measures in place. Now, if security was negligent in their duty...? I don`t know.

I think many in Eastern Iowa and out of State have no idea the real hatred ISU fans have for Iowa.
Yeah I never knew how bad it was until I visited their board in the week leading up to the game and a few times since. I'm a diehard Hawkeye fan who has lived my whole life in Iowa City, and I've never hated a team/fanbase so much the way ISU fans hate Iowa. It's incredible and sad at the same time.

I would agree that negligence would be the only basis.
But to prove negligence, the lawyers would have to prove that the U either failed to listen to previous concerns or were completely off base with the amount of protection provided.

The U's lawyer would easily be able to counter any claim that the U was at fault for the band getting separated because 1. the band members are adults, 2. I am sure that the band officials told the band to stay together. (Not victim blaming on my part, just looking at things from a legal perspective).

Chances are that both schools would be listed as co-defendants. Iowa's best bet would be to turn it and try to prove that ISU was negligent in providing a safe environment of the members of the band.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch a case like that with a 10 foot pole. There would be a ton of defenses available.

Latest posts