Brian Ferentz - How do you like me now?

tenor.gif

run into a 10 man front the first 17 games of your career, overall grade F
pass to set up the run, get 42 points and almost 500 yards............and the run game is better.

The offensive production has been nice over the last 4 games but let us not pretend that any of those defenses were the '85 bears either.
Ohio State has competed against those same defenses the last two weeks with almost identical results.

Is anyone questioning their offense out there?

I will agree that it appears that Brian has a lot more slack on that rope. I'm not gonna go all crazy like Dean has though. There's still plenty of games left this year.

Mostly my point was this offense has morphed into exactly what I felt Brian would bring to Iowa if he was OC. While Iowa is never going to be a top 20 offense, you can see the multiple NFL aspects this offense now has to it. Instead of only have horizontal route trees like we saw under GD, we now have dangerous vertical and crossing routes, as well as attacking the outside and middle of the fields.

Brian will have bad games, Brian will make mistakes. I'm just happy that our offense looks like what I felt like it could always look like schematically anyway. No other OC hire would ever have been given the latitude from Kirk to do what Brian is doing, which is also why I always felt he would be the best OC for Iowa.

Ohio State has competed against those same defenses the last two weeks with almost identical results.

Is anyone questioning their offense out there?

And more importantly Iowa has put up 90 points the last two weeks vs Minny and Indy and OSU put up 79 points vs those same two opponents.

Iowa's offense is efficient this year as well. We scored 90 vs Minny and Indy on 899 total yards and OSU got 79 on 1113 total yards against those same teams.

Last edited:
Looking at the offensive passing statistics:

Iowa #44 in the nation in passing offense at 256 YPG. Iowa was #93 last year with 190 YPG passing, and they were #118 two years ago with 153 YPG passing. Huge jumps in the passing game the last two years under Brian.

Even more impressive is that Iowa is #22 in the nation in Yard Per Attempt passing the ball at 8.6 YPA. Last year they were #79 at 7.0 YPA, and two years ago they were #104 at 6.4 YPA. You can obviously see from this they are much more of a vertical passing team under Brian than they were under GD.

If it wasn't BF running the O many of the Negateer's would be saying just how wonderful the new OC was doing.

Last year was so far from perfect but one could see the change a coming. Was still fun to watch. This year we're seeing BF's staff and players extra year together and it's looking good. They are leading the D in performance in my opinion, when was last time that happened, 02?

So good to see the team pushing late, getting in the practice reps, learning to place their heel on the throat of their opponent late. Will provide dividends later on. BF not influencing the team in a less conservative direction? Hah!

Looking forward to next week and that challenge for sure, this could get real interesting sneaking up on the West title.

Winers and Negative Nancy's will always be here to throw crap on your delicious meal, but they will get quieter and quieter as the days go by, so that is good. No worries though, they'll be back!

So, the bar for Brian is at least five straight conference wins, four on the road, including beating a very talented PSU squad in Happy Valley and a surging Purdue team at Purdue?

Got it.

Same as it ever was...

I've been saying for years that BF would not be at Iowa if not for his ties to the program/school, he'd be in a higher/better position somewhere else. He is a very good coach with an upward trajectory.

Iowa is doing a lot of what they were doing last year, the difference is that this isn't a new system with half or more new starters on offense. Now that these freshmen and sophomores are now sophomores and juniors, you see better results.

Last year was classic young players in a new system, and play caller to boot. Games like ISU and OSU, where they would not drop every other pass or have errant throws, were examples of what they could be when they started to execute. Honestly, I was a little surprised and disappointed Iowa didn't have more production in their first two games.

#firebrianferentz

You guys all sound like Husker fans! If Nebraska had just beat Indiana and their fan base was talking about how great Frost was there would be a 20 page thread clowing them because it was Indiana. It was a good win and yes Brian called a great game. I haven’t seen anyone contest that fact. Most posters that don’t think he should have been OC have made posts giving him props. The reality is we haven’t played anyone good yet. Let’s let the season play out. If we win out then Brian will have earned a lot of respect. I could still see 3 more losses so I’m not ready to crown him just yet.

You guys all sound like Husker fans! If Nebraska had just beat Indiana and their fan base was talking about how great Frost was there would be a 20 page thread clowing them because it was Indiana. It was a good win and yes Brian called a great game. I haven’t seen anyone contest that fact. Most posters that don’t think he should have been OC have made posts giving him props. The reality is we haven’t played anyone good yet. Let’s let the season play out. If we win out then Brian will have earned a lot of respect. I could still see 3 more losses so I’m not ready to crown him just yet.

You sound like an uneducated Clown fan. Iowa has played a tougher schedule than 80% of all other D1 teams to date. OSU couldn't beat Minnesota and Indiana as badly as we did. Why do people always gotta shit on wins?

If you think we haven't played anyone good, do you think we will this year? I think both Wisconsin and ISU are good teams, at the least.

You sound like an uneducated Clown fan. Iowa has played a tougher schedule than 80% of all other D1 teams to date. OSU couldn't beat Minnesota and Indiana as badly as we did. Why do people always gotta shit on wins?
Some people are only happy when they are unhappy.

There are a lot of those people on this forum, unfortunately. A big reason I'm not that active.

I get what you are saying with the wait and see because the West is wild and we have 3-4 games where it could go either way. I think the point I've been trying to make, was even making the point last year, was that the offensive was becoming more varied and the routes and schemes we were seeing in the passing game were more complex. We just could not protect Stanley against the top teams last year (other than OSU for some reason). This was the point of Iowa's trying to run into 8 man fronts last year. He felt that was necessary to protect Stanley and it gave us a chance to shorten the game and hopefully win at the end. Exactly what Wisconsin was trying to do last night at Michigan. Chryst was not throwing it because they couldn't protect Hornibrook and was trying to shorten the game.

It's not just Minnesota and Indiana. We moved the ball up and down the field on Wisconsin, had over 400 yards of offense...but Wisconsin just made huge plays at critical times in the red zone, and we had two bonehead turnovers.

People need to stop being critical of our non conference games...we are never going to open things up...we are only trying to work on things like the running game. You show just enough to win comfortably. It's the B10 season when you get to see what we are offensively.

You have to recognize the difference here. Against Minnesota and Indiana...we didn't sit on a lead, we kept throwing and kept attacking. Huge difference in the Greg Davis era...or run and play defense to protect a lead. Brian now has an offensive line who can protect and 4-5 guys in the passing game he trusts. He going to attack.

I get what you are saying with the wait and see because the West is wild and we have 3-4 games where it could go either way. I think the point I've been trying to make, was even making the point last year, was that the offensive was becoming more varied and the routes and schemes we were seeing in the passing game were more complex. We just could not protect Stanley against the top teams last year (other than OSU for some reason). This was the point of Iowa's trying to run into 8 man fronts last year. He felt that was necessary to protect Stanley and it gave us a chance to shorten the game and hopefully win at the end. Exactly what Wisconsin was trying to do last night at Michigan. Chryst was not throwing it because they couldn't protect Hornibrook and was trying to shorten the game.

It's not just Minnesota and Indiana. We moved the ball up and down the field on Wisconsin, had over 400 yards of offense...but Wisconsin just made huge plays at critical times in the red zone, and we had two bonehead turnovers.

People need to stop being critical of our non conference games...we are never going to open things up...we are only trying to work on things like the running game. You show just enough to win comfortably. It's the B10 season when you get to see what we are offensively.

You have to recognize the difference here. Against Minnesota and Indiana...we didn't sit on a lead, we kept throwing and kept attacking. Huge difference in the Greg Davis era...or run and play defense to protect a lead. Brian now has an offensive line who can protect and 4-5 guys in the passing game he trusts. He going to attack.
I agree with everything you are saying. It does seem like he is attacking more.

I’m not shitting on a win. My post has the words “good win”. If you think we have played a tough schedule this year then you are delusional. We have played one ranked team and lost. Iowa State is decent now with the Purdy kid. I wouldn’t want to play them right now. That was another good win. Me not thinking Brian Ferentz deserved the job he has now doesn’t mean I’m not happy about the season so far. People thinking Minnesota and Indiana are good is something a clown fan would do.

I’m not shitting on a win. My post has the words “good win”. If you think we have played a tough schedule this year then you are delusional. We have played one ranked team and lost. Iowa State is decent now with the Purdy kid. I wouldn’t want to play them right now. That was another good win. Me not thinking Brian Ferentz deserved the job he has now doesn’t mean I’m not happy about the season so far. People thinking Minnesota and Indiana are good is something a clown fan would do.

Then what do you think of the schedule that 100+ teams have played that are all easier than ours?

Ok...dude...you just lost all credibility with this statement and revealed you are, a Clown fan. Your posts a dead to me.

"Iowa State is decent now with the Purdy kid. I wouldn’t want to play them right now."

We manhandled Iowa State...they weren't in the game. Their offensive line was no match for our defensive line. Montgomery could do nothing running or in the passing game. Changing the QB isn't going to matter in that game...they couldn't protect the QB and couldn't run the ball.

You guys all sound like Husker fans! If Nebraska had just beat Indiana and their fan base was talking about how great Frost was
If Nebraska had played the same schedule as Iowa with the same results they'd be ranked 15th right now.

Latest posts