Brian Ferentz - How do you like me now?

Ok...dude...you just lost all credibility with this statement and revealed you are, a Clown fan. Your posts a dead to me.

"Iowa State is decent now with the Purdy kid. I wouldn’t want to play them right now."

We manhandled Iowa State...they weren't in the game. Their offensive line was no match for our defensive line. Montgomery could do nothing running or in the passing game. Changing the QB isn't going to matter in that game...they couldn't protect the QB and couldn't run the ball.
And even if it were different, so what? We beat them. I'd like a rematch against Wisconsin right about now. Guess what, tough crap. You play your schedule.

Ohio State has competed against those same defenses the last two weeks with almost identical results.

Is anyone questioning their offense out there?
The offensive numbers weren't the same. OSU was good for 100+ more passing yards. OSU put up 400 yards of offense on PSU. PSU gave up 400+ yards of offense to MSU in last nights loss. That PSU game should be an interesting test. The offense in the last 2 games has been much better. BF has managed to do what I didn't believe possible. Drag KF out of his overly conservative offensive shell.

The offensive numbers weren't the same. OSU was good for 100+ more passing yards. OSU put up 400 yards of offense on PSU. PSU gave up 400+ yards of offense to MSU in last nights loss. That PSU game should be an interesting test. The offense in the last 2 games has been much better. BF has managed to do what I didn't believe possible. Drag KF out of his overly conservative offensive shell.
You're correct about the yardage. I was going more along the lines of victory margin.

I'm excited to see how we match up against PSU, who still has Wisconsin at home as well (is that a great home schedule or what)? Anyway, first things first, Maryland this weekend.

We were favored over Indiana by four points. A LOT of experts thought this was going to be a very tough game on the road and picked Indiana to win. Many thought it would come down to a late drive and could go one way or the other.

We ended up beating them handily and now, all of a sudden, they are a crap team (in some people's eyes). I prefer to give us credit instead of tearing down the opponent when we beat them.

We were favored over Indiana by four points. A LOT of experts thought this was going to be a very tough game on the road and picked Indiana to win. Many thought it would come down to a late drive and could go one way or the other.

We ended up beating them handily and now, all of a sudden, they are a crap team (in some people's eyes). I prefer to give us credit instead of tearing down the opponent when we beat them.

Just as a point of reference...Ohio State and Indiana were in a game at the end of the third quarter...37-26. Minnesota was running all over Ohio State and it was a game in the fourth quarter.

Are they the top defensive teams in the country...no...but they aren't pushovers.

Ok...dude...you just lost all credibility with this statement and revealed you are, a Clown fan. Your posts a dead to me.

"Iowa State is decent now with the Purdy kid. I wouldn’t want to play them right now."

We manhandled Iowa State...they weren't in the game. Their offensive line was no match for our defensive line. Montgomery could do nothing running or in the passing game. Changing the QB isn't going to matter in that game...they couldn't protect the QB and couldn't run the ball.
You’re right I’m from Burlington and I’ve been in every game thread for the past 10+ years but I’m a clown fan. You figured it out! I wont be able to sleep knowing that my posts are dead to you.

I expected a tough game. Not a loss, but a tough game.

Indiana has never been an easy place for us to play going back through Hayden Fry's long tenure.

The tone was set early yesterday. We held them to three on their opening drive. They tried to come out physical. A Stanley int on the opening drive was negated by a penalty. Allen started going all Fran on the sideline (which I wish Fran himself would stop doing) over every call that didn't go his way. The game felt largely over as soon as we went up 14-3 because it was evident by then that Indiana's defense couldn't tackle very well.

Rob himself predicted this to be a loss in the preseason and admitted as such before the game. I wasn't much more accurate in my pregame prediction.

I didn’t know that roughing up Minnesota and Indiana’s defenses were worth burning sofas over.

That said, I don’t think there will be any complaints if Iowa goes 10-2, no matter how the other loss happens. It’s a lot more pleasing watching Iowa in multiple formations and throwing to open up the run instead of the 2017 offense (predicated on slamming the ball into zone read left and right).

There are not a lot of defensive juggernauts left on the schedule. If we continue looking like we have the last two weeks against Maryland and Penn St., I’ll jump on the bandwagon.

You're correct about the yardage. I was going more along the lines of victory margin.

I'm excited to see how we match up against PSU, who still has Wisconsin at home as well (is that a great home schedule or what)? Anyway, first things first, Maryland this weekend.

I'm glad that PSU has Indiana next week. I know when I played basketball that the team we played after a loss that we expected to win was the team that paid for our loss.

You’re right I’m from Burlington and I’ve been in every game thread for the past 10+ years but I’m a clown fan. You figured it out! I wont be able to sleep knowing that my posts are dead to you.

Don't be so sensitive...the sarcasm may not have been clear...or didn't read well. I was just pointing out that saying I wouldn't want play Iowa State right now...is a pretty clonish thing to say.

Your posts typically are part of the whole anti Ferentz thing, so I thought calling you a Clone would be funny. You and your butt buddy Sirius have the same slant on everything.

BF has been around football his whole life. The guy coached with a top NF program. This isnt about him learning not running repeatedly into a stacked box and expecting results. I don't know what the issue is but its not on the job training and learning.

Don't be so sensitive...the sarcasm may not have been clear...or didn't read well. I was just pointing out that saying I wouldn't want play Iowa State right now...is a pretty clonish thing to say.

Your posts typically are part of the whole anti Ferentz thing, so I thought calling you a Clone would be funny. You and your butt buddy Sirius have the same slant on everything.
XJhPnSs.gif

BF has been around football his whole life. The guy coached with a top NF program. This isnt about him learning not running repeatedly into a stacked box and expecting results. I don't know what the issue is but its not on the job training and learning.

Yet it is on-the-job training. It has been trial and error from day 1 being a position coach to dialing up plays is a big leap. That's why you bring KOK back, you need him in that meeting room.

Yet it is on-the-job training. It has been trial and error from day 1 being a position coach to dialing up plays is a big leap. That's why you bring KOK back, you need him in that meeting room.
Yes Kok should be there.Maybe he is. Sure hope so...But fun quality win! NEXT....? GO Hawk Players.

No way. Not that bad.

I will gladly eat crow. Bf has called 2 great games. Indiana tried to stack the box against us and we attacked 1 on 1 coverage until they backed off. Then we ran where we wanted. This is what I want to see going forward. It is difficult to stop a well balanced offense....

The only game this year where I felt like the O wasn't in great position to make plays was ISU. N. Ill there were a bunch of drops/penalties/missed throws. Wisconsin there were missed red zone opportunities and special teams turnovers. But in all games, save ISU, the Hawks were moving well up and down the field and had opportunities to make plays. That was not the case so frequently the last few years, so I am very optimistic.

I get what you are saying with the wait and see because the West is wild and we have 3-4 games where it could go either way. I think the point I've been trying to make, was even making the point last year, was that the offensive was becoming more varied and the routes and schemes we were seeing in the passing game were more complex. We just could not protect Stanley against the top teams last year (other than OSU for some reason). This was the point of Iowa's trying to run into 8 man fronts last year. He felt that was necessary to protect Stanley and it gave us a chance to shorten the game and hopefully win at the end. Exactly what Wisconsin was trying to do last night at Michigan. Chryst was not throwing it because they couldn't protect Hornibrook and was trying to shorten the game.

It's not just Minnesota and Indiana. We moved the ball up and down the field on Wisconsin, had over 400 yards of offense...but Wisconsin just made huge plays at critical times in the red zone, and we had two bonehead turnovers.

People need to stop being critical of our non conference games...we are never going to open things up...we are only trying to work on things like the running game. You show just enough to win comfortably. It's the B10 season when you get to see what we are offensively.

You have to recognize the difference here. Against Minnesota and Indiana...we didn't sit on a lead, we kept throwing and kept attacking. Huge difference in the Greg Davis era...or run and play defense to protect a lead. Brian now has an offensive line who can protect and 4-5 guys in the passing game he trusts. He going to attack.
I have not been a fan of Iowa's offense for years now and quite frankly 3 games into this season I was throwing my hands up in despair. But something funny happened against Minnesota. We threw to set up the run, we became Unpredictable! More in the Indiana game. For whatever reason Brian has opened up the offense. Maybe it was a closed door meeting with Dad, or the maturation of the players, I don't know, but this is the offense I've been wanting to see for years. This is a drastic change in philosophy, anyone who doesn't admit that is a liar. So if this is Brian's offense I 100% endorse him. I loved throwing deep to receivers who had one on one coverage. When was that in the game plan in the past? Throwing deep on the last play after Indiana refused a 10 second walk-off, beautiful!

He got some preseason hype from a few experts. It's a weak draft class at qb. He wont leave though.

He's got the size, physical strength and arm strength. Kind of has a Ben Roethlisberger vibe going, with the obvious caveat that Ben R. is a first ballot hall of famer and Stanley might never take an NFL snap.

His decision-making isn't nearly refined enough yet, so there's no way he's leaving for the League. Ferentz gives guys honest assessments about whether they should enter the draft, regardless of the impact on his own team, and I'm pretty sure he'll advise Stanley to stick around. But the scouts have him on their radars for a reason.

I have not been a fan of Iowa's offense for years now and quite frankly 3 games into this season I was throwing my hands up in despair. But something funny happened against Minnesota. We threw to set up the run, we became Unpredictable! More in the Indiana game. For whatever reason Brian has opened up the offense. Maybe it was a closed door meeting with Dad, or the maturation of the players, I don't know, but this is the offense I've been wanting to see for years. This is a drastic change in philosophy, anyone who doesn't admit that is a liar. So if this is Brian's offense I 100% endorse him. I loved throwing deep to receivers who had one on one coverage. When was that in the game plan in the past? Throwing deep on the last play after Indiana refused a 10 second walk-off, beautiful!

The game he called yesterday is something I've been waiting to see for about 15 years

Is any collegiate defense equivalent to the 85 bears.

If anyone claims they are then they’re dopes

The offensive production that last 4 games has been better than nice.

The problem is that, even with the improved offensive production the last three games, Iowa is 25th in points per game over that period. Teams simply score more points nowadays. I wouldn't call that "better than nice". I'd call it nice because I expect Iowa to be right around 25th - 30th if we want to win 9 games a year and be ranked in the top 25.

We haven't seen "good" offense for so long that we don't know what it looks like anymore. We're 51st in opponent points per game over the last three, btw. That's got to improve

This isn't to say that BF didn't do an excellent job against Minny and Indiana. He needs to keep it up. I don't know why he waited until Minnesota to open up the playbook. But now that he has they look like a legit top 25 offense. I'd like them to stay a top 25 offense.

Latest posts